Originally Posted by sapman
I highly, highly doubt that.
I agree
Old 03-01-2017, 12:54 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 634 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
I also wonder how they were broken in (under 4K rpm for first 2k miles?)
I went a year ago and I heard they were sold at auction and or to dealers. I surely wouldn't buy one unless it was a really great price and with a full four-year warranty.

And I expect the break-in was more like not much time BELOW 4k RPMs! And with limited or no warm up and running hard for days on end.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:58 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
I went a year ago and I heard they were sold at auction and or to dealers. I surely wouldn't buy one unless it was a really great price and with a full four-year warranty.
+1, and a standard practice across manufacturers, so buyer aware!

For example, BMW sells it's SC Performance Center cars to the open market/dealer network, without disclosure of their prior use. And they are usually not even 'certified pre-owned' as they weren't in private hands technically (i.e. BMW corporate fleet). Folks that go to these events usually flog the VINs for tracking, particularly on some of the lower production cars in the past (e.g. 1///Ms)
Old 03-01-2017, 03:21 PM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do they pull a "Ferrari" and roll back the odometer? LOL

Did you catch that story....Ferrari gave the dealers a device to roll back the odd!!

Last edited by texasviany; 03-01-2017 at 07:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-01-2017, 03:33 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by texasviany

Did you catch that story....Ferrari gave the dealers a device to roll back the odd!!
http://jalopnik.com/ferrari-accused-...cks-1792798588

You mean this one?

Old 03-01-2017, 04:07 PM
trebien
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
I also wonder how they were broken in (OVER 4K rpm for first 2k miles?)
Fixed.

Do they pull a "Ferrari" and roll back the odometer? LOL!
So Ferrari.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:01 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
I want to see the referenced manual that "unequivocally allows odometer rollbacks under certain circumstances"....
Old 03-01-2017, 06:21 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,039 Likes on 2,302 Posts

When are they going to do a full blown recall and replace all GT4 trannies?
Old 03-01-2017, 07:05 PM
trebien
Racer

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Who knows if they will ever issue an official "recall"... likely a "TSB" type of situation, to "upgrade" a part.

However, they won't do it until the production of the new parts/gearboxes was ramped up. Remember, it's an outside vendor, and you can't just call up Getrag and hope that 1500 bespoke gearboxes are sitting on their shelves. Plus, that's not what Getrag wants to do, either... ship out $9000 boxes when it's only a single part that needs replacing.

I think their plan is to deal with the broken ones for now as they come along with a new gearbox, as they quickly put together a strategy for training dealerships to fix boxes with a new 3rd gear shaft, OR set up shop in the US with their own techs to remanufacrture cores of unbroken boxes with new parts, and swap those "refreshed" boxes to dealerships for old ones out of existing customer cars.

To train dealerships to fix the gearboxes is the cheapest initial, but can have long-term warranty costs if the gearboxes are not repaired properly. And then you have an even bigger PR or customer satisfaction debacle.

Considering the boxes are breaking on many cars with 5-10k miles, actuarial predictions would say probably at least half of all GT4s will break under warranty. Plus, with those issues... it could be construed as a known defect... opening them up to class-action. So they will fix them all at some point.

From a PR perspective cost, it's better to have a few of these breaking here and there FOR NOW, then to issue a massive recall but not have the parts available, which will worry & **** off your existing customer base AND your dealer network. And the VAG family is likely a bit sensitive to PR debacles at the moment.

Didn't I read somewhere that you're a bean counter?

Old 03-01-2017, 08:22 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by trebien
Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Who knows if they will ever issue an official "recall"... likely a "TSB" type of situation, to "upgrade" a part

Didn't I read somewhere that you're a bean counter?

+1

Lets also go back another model series and look at the Cayman R and its advertisement.

The Cayman R, equipped with a PDK, had issues with overheating on the track (some PCA regions actually had posted warnings). Porsche fixed some cars with aftermarket parts but that never lived up to the advertisements but mitigated it somewhat. Only with the introduction of the new model series was that corrected AFAIK. Yes I know the R was not a GT car.

Therefore I cannot see Porsche doing a recall or admitting to anything.

$0.02
Old 03-01-2017, 10:03 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,168 Likes on 621 Posts

It will be interesting how this plays out. I see shades of the E46 M3 rod bearing seniaro/fiasco ?
first BMW repaired under warranty then they blamed the owners then ended up with a recall and an extended 100,000 mile warranty! i remember one guy having to pay $12,000 for a new engine. wonder if they refunded it??
Old 03-01-2017, 10:52 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,051 Likes on 540 Posts

I believe most if not all were refunded any charges for engines paid for by the owners while under warranty.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:52 PM
mgerber
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB

Therefore I cannot see Porsche doing a recall or admitting to anything.
This is spot on. I don't want to disclose details on the forum, but IMO we are a very, very long way from PCNA or PAG acknowledging the failures to date as anything more than track abuse. My understanding is that all failures have been covered to date under warranty. Unfortunately this is consistent with how PAG has been dealing with issues like this. Frustrating!!!
Old 03-02-2017, 10:36 AM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 516 Likes on 238 Posts

I'm wondering if anyone with a tune, headers or other aftermarket parts have had issues from VAG on 3rd gear (or any) warranty repairs? If I tune my Audi, it flags a TD1 code that follow the car forever and provides Audi the ability to deny warranty claims. Is there a similar flag on Porsche?
Old 03-02-2017, 10:38 AM
jslee225
Racer

Originally Posted by GeoJoe
I'm wondering if anyone with a tune, headers or other aftermarket parts have had issues from VAG on 3rd gear (or any) warranty repairs? If I tune my Audi, it flags a TD1 code that follow the car forever and provides Audi the ability to deny warranty claims. Is there a similar flag on Porsche?
FWIW, I currently have catless headers and have had no issues with warranty repair for both cylinder heads and transmission replacement.

Quick Reply: GT4 G81 Transmission Failure