Sponsored by: APR

strut tower failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2019, 02:53 AM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 158 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by BioBanker
AFAIK, insurance companies are covering this so far...no?
Yes they do, unless it happens the race track.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:47 AM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by trkshoe
FWIW... I got rid of the helper springs, which allowed for longer linear springs (higher rate as well) which allows for more "work" to be done by the springs in reducing the possibility of bottoming out.
I have no data to suggest that this is effective, but my knowledge of suspensions, along with some bench talking with people waaay more knowledgeable that me on the topic, gives me some sense (imagined or not) of security.

YRMV...
I thought the helper springs are only on the rear?
Old 11-06-2019, 09:07 AM
djb_rh
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
Thanks for that. Go Tarheels BTW. So what I find hard to believe is that aside from hitting something, the struts compress all the way even during hard use. My Cayman R never bottomed out. My 981 Spyder never bottomed out. The GT4 is stiffer in suspension than those 2 which are roughly the same weight, with the main difference being PASM in that it takes away the mechanical nature of the suspension by trying to fight compression based on its programming. Every time you travel over a crack in the road you can feel the lack of compression, and rebound which is strong. Just every day driving is a lot more force onto the chassis than X73 equipped stablemates. Does the helper spring somehow reduce travel making for an abrupt stop? That's the only other variable I can think of.
I have no experience with helper springs, so I can't personally speak to that.

My theory is that the GT4 is so lowered in the front that it is blowing through all the travel and bottoming out and is doing so often. But I don't have one so there's no way for me to know. Someone who does have one *could* install some shock travel sensors and a data logger to see, but that's certainly an awful lot of work, not to mention requires some expensive sensors. Would be rare for someone driving around on a totally stock car to have access to that kind of thing already.

The other possibility I can think of is PASM. If there are bugs specific to some car models (assuming there is different software on different car models) *and* assuming the shock is capable of going to some near-infinite damping (I doubt it is, but maybe), then it could just be that the shock is going into that mode of operation (ie. super-stiff) at bad times (near bumps) and thus isn't bottoming out but is effectively putting the same stresses into the tower as if it were. I'm not sure that's even fundamentally possible on the hardware side, and if it WERE possible that's the ONLY situation I could see Porsche being able and willing to issue a fix for this. But if that were the cause, I'd bet they would have issues a fix already.

--Donnie
Old 11-06-2019, 09:35 AM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

Changing PASM coding, using stiffer springs, using lighter wheels and rotors, all good options.
I would like to see Porsche design and retrofit steel inner cups to the front strut towers, like is already done at the rear.
This would spread the load over a greater area and overcome the porosity limitations of the non pressure cast towers, for comparison the C8 uses pressure cast.
The following users liked this post:
911F1 (11-06-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 12:24 PM
trkshoe
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by d00d
I thought the helper springs are only on the rear?
They are... did the work a few months back... :-)
Old 11-06-2019, 04:08 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by djb_rh

My theory is that the GT4 is so lowered in the front that it is blowing through all the travel and bottoming out and is doing so often. But I don't have one so there's no way for me to know. Someone who does have one *could* install some shock travel sensors and a data logger to see, but that's certainly an awful lot of work, not to mention requires some expensive sensors. Would be rare for someone driving around on a totally stock car to have access to that kind of thing already.

The other possibility I can think of is PASM. If there are bugs specific to some car models (assuming there is different software on different car models) *and* assuming the shock is capable of going to some near-infinite damping (I doubt it is, but maybe), then it could just be that the shock is going into that mode of operation (ie. super-stiff) at bad times (near bumps) and thus isn't bottoming out but is effectively putting the same stresses into the tower as if it were. I'm not sure that's even fundamentally possible on the hardware side, and if it WERE possible that's the ONLY situation I could see Porsche being able and willing to issue a fix for this. But if that were the cause, I'd bet they would have issues a fix already.

--Donnie

Last edited by 911F1; 11-06-2019 at 04:12 PM. Reason: duplicate
Old 11-06-2019, 04:10 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by djb_rh

--Donnie
They (Porsche) wouldn't offer a partial fix. That would admit fault. I think its all or nothing. I don't think they will ever fix the problem. Like the IMS bearing on the 996.
I suggest having a good auto insurance policy that replaces with original parts.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:07 PM
ZG911
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BioBanker
AFAIK, insurance companies are covering this so far...no?

Not if it happens on track, even with track-day insurance.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:05 PM
4PTZERO
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

delete

Last edited by 4PTZERO; 07-01-2020 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-22-2020, 04:46 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 826 Likes on 453 Posts

Seems the 718 GT4/Spyder are also affected

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...18-spyder.html
Old 07-22-2020, 05:16 PM
Jawnathin
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by wizee

Bummer. Disappointing that it wasn’t addressed on the 718
Old 07-24-2020, 11:16 AM
_nosubstitute_
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by wizee

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
Bummer. Disappointing that it wasn’t addressed on the 718
Good thing it's not true and misinterpreted as being a strut tower top hat issue. Whew.

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...-spyder-7.html
Old 07-24-2020, 06:15 PM
Jawnathin
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by _nosubstitute_
Good thing it's not true and misinterpreted as being a strut tower top hat issue. Whew.

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...-spyder-7.html
Yep, not the same issue as this thread but still just as scary. The car was totaled and had to be written off . I hope we get more details soon.
Old 07-24-2020, 06:17 PM
_nosubstitute_
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
Yep, not the same issue as this thread but still just as scary. The car was totaled and had to be written off . I hope we get more details soon.
Always sad when something major like this happens to a Porsche of any kind. Just making sure everyone isn't mislead to that strut tower issues factually continued to 718 ...maybe it will...but not yet.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:52 AM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,249 Likes on 753 Posts

Have any regular 981 or 982 Cayman models (base, S, GTS) been affected by this strut tower failure or just the GT models?

Last edited by .2PDK; 12-02-2020 at 09:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
unclemat (08-18-2021)

Quick Reply: strut tower failure