strut tower failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 03:58 PM
GoKart Mozart
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by G-forceTarga4S
Thanks!

Any suggestions/new ideas for something that can structurally reinforce this weak spot on our GT4's is greatly appreciated. I'd like to have a solid steel one piece unit that would cover the top & might try to convince my engineer friend to make one (he has his own CNC machine in his garage shop!)

I realize what I've done is not bullet proof, however I think of it as wel, l as a steel lid on an aluminium pot.
I'm co owner in a machine shop. We have 8 CNC's and I could machine most things necessary, but I am not proficient on making solid models and 3 D machining, which is kind of what you would need if you wanted to make an odd shaped plate. The Porsche Motorsport one is stamped and would be a good start, which is why I figured to just use it an add my idea to it. Why reinvent the wheel.

Old 05-24-2019, 04:34 PM
G-forceGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by GoKart Mozart
I'm co owner in a machine shop. We have 8 CNC's and I could machine most things necessary, but I am not proficient on making solid models and 3 D machining, which is kind of what you would need if you wanted to make an odd shaped plate. The Porsche Motorsport one is stamped and would be a good start, which is why I figured to just use it an add my idea to it. Why reinvent the wheel.
My best friend's son is an engineering student & is more up to speed on 3D modeling, than I could ever hope to be. He mentioned making a model with a 3D printer, which I know nothing about!
Old 05-25-2019, 04:19 PM
speedy974
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I work for a CAM software company. I could help with 3D toolpath creation and NC code generation if needed.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:46 PM
G-forceGT4
Rennlist Member

I'm going to pull my motorsport plate/brackets off the car in July paint/coat them. It would be great if a solid steel bracket could be made somehow.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:44 PM
Former BMW
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's definitely a challenge to reverse engineer, which is why it is disappointing Porsche isn't doing anything, because it would be relatively easy for them to do so, but of course once they do, it would be admitting that it was a design flaw.

I'm going to try to come up with something that is realistically simple, but hopefully effective. Along the lines of a strut tower brace, except the bracing will be somewhere else.
I heard a rumor that Tarett might be engineering a reinforcement solution based upon the CS type braces.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:40 PM
GoKart Mozart
Racer

Originally Posted by Former BMW
I heard a rumor that Tarett might be engineering a reinforcement solution based upon the CS type braces.
Funny that is the guy I am talking to about my idea. I already make other parts for him.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:24 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 322 Likes on 170 Posts

Funny that is the guy I am talking to about my idea. I already make other parts for him.
Hah, awesome! Having the clubsport so closely match the street car has made the GT4 community pretty amazing for how relatively few cars were built.
Old 05-27-2019, 01:03 PM
Former BMW
AutoX

Hopefully, someone is successful in coming up with a solution. Otherwise, mine's going on the auction block once it's fixed.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:44 PM
calvinchan
Rennlist Member

Just saw this on a facebook group... T10's berm at Sonoma

Old 05-28-2019, 09:10 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Increasingly likely that this problem may be the cause for multiple postponed/delayed launches of the 718 GT4 and Spyder. Any potential solution/change in the 718 must also be evaluated in terms of how it affects Porsche’s stance regarding the same issue in the 981 — whether it means admitting a design fault or not.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:39 AM
GoKart Mozart
Racer

Originally Posted by calvinchan
I guess this is proof that the plates itself aren't enough. Sure helps though, most likely it would have been pocking through the hood otherwise
Old 05-28-2019, 12:19 PM
G-forceGT4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by calvinchan

It's always the top along the rim, where it starts. I've carefully reviewed every photo posted on this thread. One post showed a CS with installed plates & the crack/fracture was along the front of the rim. The tower top is too thin & not adequately reinforced from the factory. This photo nicely shows the crack before the top completely fracture apart. Notice that the crack doesn't extend into the bolt hole where the steel black support struts mounts (which is about 2" inches lower & a more solid part of the tower. Modifying the plates may not prevent cracks occurring in the tower, but they will prevent catastrophic failure & the strut becoming completely separated. That's evident in this photo & also with the white CS failure posted previously.

Last edited by G-forceGT4; 05-28-2019 at 12:21 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-28-2019, 12:44 PM
GoKart Mozart
Racer

Originally Posted by G-forceTarga4S
It's always the top along the rim, where it starts. I've carefully reviewed every photo posted on this thread. One post showed a CS with installed plates & the crack/fracture was along the front of the rim. The tower top is too thin & not adequately reinforced from the factory. This photo nicely shows the crack before the top completely fracture apart. Notice that the crack doesn't extend into the bolt hole where the steel black support struts mounts (which is about 2" inches lower & a more solid part of the tower. Modifying the plates may not prevent cracks occurring in the tower, but they will prevent catastrophic failure & the strut becoming completely separated. That's evident in this photo & also with the white CS failure posted previously.
Exactly my thoughts.. And it supports my theory that the failure point seems to be front/center of the each strut tower. The plates,need to be secured in that section to prevent the damage from happening all together. It sucks that the plates aren't enough, but it is good to know that they prevent a catastrophic failure, which is huge already. Takes the element of losing control and getting killed out of the equation, plus it prevents further damage to the car from both the strut going through the hood and not crashing in to anything.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:55 PM
aualexa2
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Unfortunate to see another failure. If anyone knows the owner, please pm me or have the owner pm me if they are a RL member. Would like to capture as much information in the database as possible.

On a similar note, I've sent PMs to everyone who reported failures in this thread. I've received replies from a few, but there are a handful who have not replied. If you know anyone who has posted a failure and they don't check Rennlist often, please ask them to check their inbox.

Thanks!
Old 05-28-2019, 02:14 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Couldnt help but notice that this failure is from the driver's side, and not the passenger side where most of the "other" failures have occurred.

Quick Reply: strut tower failure