Sponsored by: APR

strut tower failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 04:36 PM
ducktails
Racer

Received 462 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Maybe the owner experienced too may bay area road conditions beforehand and the tech inspection missed it.
Does anyone know, how does one inspect for this issue? If it's micro-fractures, I assume they would be mostly imperceptible to the human eye, and/or any fractures would not be visible from the topside through frunk (which is what you'd expect during a regular tech inspection).

I asked a dealer about this, and they told me they'd do their "regular inspection" (i.e. placebo check: are all 4 wheels on the car, does it start ... lol). I don't really expect to remove the plastic cover and see a big 'ol crack prior to strut failure; I get the impression it's an all or nothing type of deal?
Old 04-10-2019, 05:02 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Not an expert here but I'd imagine that by the time an actual crack would be visible, any road imperfection would turn it into a complete failure BEFORE anyone would get a chance to observe it. I too get the impression that it's an "all or nothing" type of deal.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:08 PM
Pruettfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of apologists here. Fact is you should be able to beat any of these cars pretty darn hard without having to worry about a structural failure. I doubt many of these GT4's that have had these failures have been "abused" or suffered hidden damage as so many seem to hope for. The simple fact is these failures appear to be all too common in a car that is supposed to be designed for track use. I was in the market for at GT4 but based on this admittedly limited but nonetheless significant (to me at least) data sample I will pass.

Based on the type of material and its construction I don't think it is likely that an inspection would show a weakness or defect and because Porsche doesn't want to cover these repairs I see these cars as very high risk.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:14 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 725 Likes on 397 Posts

It happens on the Clubsport too. And those were specifically designed for racing.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:02 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by 981-GT4
Does anyone know, how does one inspect for this issue? If it's micro-fractures, I assume they would be mostly imperceptible to the human eye, and/or any fractures would not be visible from the topside through frunk (which is what you'd expect during a regular tech inspection).

I asked a dealer about this, and they told me they'd do their "regular inspection" (i.e. placebo check: are all 4 wheels on the car, does it start ... lol). I don't really expect to remove the plastic cover and see a big 'ol crack prior to strut failure; I get the impression it's an all or nothing type of deal?
I've been a PCA Tech Inspector approved by my local region for many years. There's no way that we would find a defect in the strut tower during a routine inspection.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:22 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 153 Posts

I'm sure every car with a failure was made the day before a German holiday!
Old 04-10-2019, 11:39 PM
Former BMW
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
Saw another one at a track this weekend.
Failed near the end of a relatively fast long sweeper ('ego check' at Spring Mountain). Probably near 120 in a GT4.
Unfortunately, caused the car to fly into the gravel trap and sustain even more front end damage. Missed the tire barrier by a few feet.

He did make out better than a Wolf at the same corner. That car must have had something mechanical go wrong. Went through the gravel trap, through the tire barrier and knocked over the concrete Jersey barrier.
That was my GT4 that had the strut tower explode this weekend at SMMR. It happened without warning during heavy braking. At first I thought I blew a tire based upon the sound it made. The steering felt strange so I carefully drove it into the gravel trap at turn 4 to get off the track. Speed driving off the track was minimal - no drama!

Aftermarket suspension installed by prior owner which dealer did not disclose. No telling how previous owner abused the car. Besides strut tower, only damage was to front hood buckling. Have photos but won't post.

Discussed this issue with former GT4 race mechanic. He said it was so common that Porsche Motorsports sells a kit to fix it and the team used to keep a few on the truck for repairs. I've read a lot on line in the past few days but still trying to find out if anyone has heard of Porsche honoring their warranty on this common failure. So far the news is not good.

This is a stupid expensive car to have such a weak chassis. The car only had 4,000 miles on it since purchased used from Porsche dealer. Probably 24 track days on it before the failure. Prior to failure I never hit anything hard or damaged wheel or tire. Corner berms at SMMR very mild. To me it seems that the cast aluminum tower fatigues with repeated road impact. Why did Porsche engineers use pot metal here where it is supposed to be the strongest part of the car?
Old 04-10-2019, 11:44 PM
Former BMW
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only the right front strut tower failed.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:54 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 322 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Former BMW
That was my GT4 that had the strut tower explode this weekend at SMMR. It happened without warning during heavy braking. At first I thought I blew a tire based upon the sound it made. The steering felt strange so I carefully drove it into the gravel trap at turn 4 to get off the track. Speed driving off the track was minimal - no drama!

Aftermarket suspension installed by prior owner which dealer did not disclose. No telling how previous owner abused the car. Besides strut tower, only damage was to front hood buckling. Have photos but won't post.

Discussed this issue with former GT4 race mechanic. He said it was so common that Porsche Motorsports sells a kit to fix it and the team used to keep a few on the truck for repairs. I've read a lot on line in the past few days but still trying to find out if anyone has heard of Porsche honoring their warranty on this common failure. So far the news is not good.

This is a stupid expensive car to have such a weak chassis. The car only had 4,000 miles on it since purchased used from Porsche dealer. Probably 24 track days on it before the failure. Prior to failure I never hit anything hard or damaged wheel or tire. Corner berms at SMMR very mild. To me it seems that the cast aluminum tower fatigues with repeated road impact. Why did Porsche engineers use pot metal here where it is supposed to be the strongest part of the car?
That's crazy! Do you mind sharing details on what suspension you are running and your wheel and tire package? I think it's curious that we're not hearing about as many failures in 991s or other 981s that share the front end design. Even the GT3rs with more tire and stiffer springs up front shares the same front clip. Could it be that GT4s just see more track time and so are realizing these failures sooner or at a higher rate than those other cars? Could the mid engine design be putting more weight on the front than rear engine 991, enough to stress the front strut towers significantly more?
Old 04-11-2019, 07:12 AM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Pruettfan
Lots of apologists here. Fact is you should be able to beat any of these cars pretty darn hard without having to worry about a structural failure. I doubt many of these GT4's that have had these failures have been "abused" or suffered hidden damage as so many seem to hope for. The simple fact is these failures appear to be all too common in a car that is supposed to be designed for track use. I was in the market for at GT4 but based on this admittedly limited but nonetheless significant (to me at least) data sample I will pass.

Based on the type of material and its construction I don't think it is likely that an inspection would show a weakness or defect and because Porsche doesn't want to cover these repairs I see these cars as very high risk.
Thanks for taking the time to tell us why you considered buying one and didn’t buy one
Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
I've been a PCA Tech Inspector approved by my local region for many years. There's no way that we would find a defect in the strut tower during a routine inspection.
I rembered seeing some video of a s2000 having its wheels come off at the track. The spokes all cracked and broke off. Under inspection, the owner found cracks on his remaining wheels. They were Very small, and would probably missed by everyone. Do the strut towers even get looked at under tech?

yikes, sorry to hear that. What were the suspension mods done to the car?
Old 04-11-2019, 08:37 AM
911-140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 90 Posts

There's a video on Youtube of the Pikes Peak Porsche Challenge race where one of the GT4 's went off the road and damaged the front tub. It took them a day to have a new replacement tub sourced and glued / riveted back on. It was the one w/ Travis Pastrana, Jeff Zwart (GT4 Clubsport Team Coach ) and CJ Wilson. Needless to say , I agree , I am confident Porsche AG is very much aware of this issue . I can't see why they can't engineer and manufacture a replacement tub that is aircraft grade steel to replace the obviously too thin units on the GT3/ 4 . This will cost them a fortune....but ultimately, way cheaper than the cost of , heaven forbid, someone's death due to a non-track catastrophic event.

I'd love to hear from other GT4 owners from Germany to see how many failures they've encountered. I can't imagine what could possibly happen if a failure happens at 150mph on an unrestricted section ....

Glad you're ok man and I'm truly sorry to hear what happened !!

Last edited by 911-140.6; 04-11-2019 at 08:39 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-11-2019, 11:01 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 420 Posts

.... Why did Porsche engineers use pot metal here where it is supposed to be the strongest part of the car?
Sorry to hear about your incident. Agreed, this failure mode is inexcusable, especially when using OEM installed components. Your car had aftermarket components, but probably not much different than OEM GT car suspension components, so still an inexcusable failure mode, IMO. But it's not pot metal, it is die-cast aluminum, same/similar material as used in many other places on the car including the points where the rear suspension and engine/gearbox attach to the body. The front hub carriers are also cast aluminum. The anecdotal evidence continues to point to cars with lower ride height (than non-GT cars) and with the monoball type mounts at the top of the shock tube, but not enough objectively collected data is available to make any conclusions, IMO.

Next time your car is up on a lift, take a walk around and you will find LOTS of die-cast aluminum underneath in various places.
Old 04-11-2019, 01:55 PM
switchface
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 44 Posts

Only the right front strut tower failed.
Once again, the same side fails. Do we yet have an example of a failure on the other side? I wonder why this is showing to always be the case.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:45 PM
GoKart Mozart
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

That is a real bummer. Sorry to hear that and hope you get it taken care of by Porsche, or your insurance.

Not that it is excusable, but it would be useful info if we knew what sort of potential impact the strut towers endured from previous owner.

Originally Posted by Pruettfan
To be clear, I think the failure is unacceptable as well and agree with you. Any of my previous comments on the subject were meant to put the failure rate in to perspective, not to make an excuse for it happening.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:54 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by switchface
Once again, the same side fails. Do we yet have an example of a failure on the other side? I wonder why this is showing to always be the case.
If repeated impacts are a contributing factor (appears they are), and a car is driven on US roads where the right-hand lane is used, there are always more pot holes and dips towards the curb side of the road under the right wheel than under the left side wheel. This is due to the slope of the road collecting more rain runoff on the right-hand side of the lane, and the water seeping into cracks in the pavement and resulting freezing/expanding/cracking or simple erosion of substrate. Ask someone who does a lot of front end alignments or repairs at tire/wheel shops. They will confirm they see more damage to right (passenger) side wheels/tires (again, only applies to right-hand lane driven cars, steering wheel on left side).

Quick Reply: strut tower failure