Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

strut tower failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 12:18 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 831 Posts

AFAIK the front structure of the GT3 comes from the 4S body structure. That is the reason why there is room for the lift but not on the GT4.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:36 AM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

^^ Very good point
Old 04-14-2019, 09:21 AM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by GoKart Mozart
I see more GT3's than GT4's, although it's possible that it varies from track to track. However, aren't there far more 991 GT3's produced than GT4's, since they weren't limited to one model year? If so, then even if there was a greater percentage of garage queens with the GT3 crowd, chances would be that the GT3 gets (ab)used as much as the GT4.

My guess was #3 also. #2 would be plausible if true, which I don't know if it is. I thought they both had the same front suspension.
Being from California, I think there is more money up there

Last edited by Five12Free; 04-14-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:35 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,476 Likes on 918 Posts

To add a bit of info here...our tracks are probably worse than most in the conti USA....yesterday we had a track day. I was the only GT4 but at least 6 GT3/RS. Two of them are tracked pretty heavy (riding over curbs) and so far no failures. Owners are getting a bit nervous now as this thread is making a lot of people aware of the problem and came to our pit to talk about this. Of course we only have 1 track day per month so probably way less miles and time on track than stateside cars...BTW, after the hurricane our roads are also a mess so you can add that to the mix. Since there's no way of pointing to the cause of this we are keeping our finger crossed.....very bad from PAG for not addressing this issue as GT products are supposed to be designed to handle the abuse of a track..
Old 04-14-2019, 12:07 PM
GoKart Mozart
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by sonorous
This failure puts you in a very unfortunate insurance grey area. This is kind of a worst case scenario with this failure mode. Track insurance not covering it because it was not an collision, road insurance not covering it because it was on track, and Porsche not covering it because they have not covered any other yet and that would be an admission of design flaw.

Have you tried your road insurance? I seem like if road insurance have covered other failures reported here that either your road or track insurance should cover it. You might have to lawyer up at some point. With the repair costs noted on RL, it is enough to warrant legal action IMHO...
This is indeed an unfortunate situation. I guess if it should ever happen to me, I know to drive off the track premises, find me a pothole and then call the toe truck ;-) ........no seriously, this is a Porsche issue 100%. I am not one to sue, have never done so in my life, but I think I would give it a try if it came to that. There is no other car in the world that has these failures, AND Porsche sells these cars as track cars. On top of that there is more an more data to make a solid case. I would have to insist that Porsche refunds me my money or fixes the car 100% with no cost to me, plus loaner car during the fix.

Long term, I don't think they can ignore this issue. This is only going to get worse with cars ageing and being (ab)used more. They need to look at the long term effect and manufacture an insert and recall all GT4's and maybe GT3's.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:13 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Rick Deman is making Front reinforcement pieces which are then welded I believe.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:15 PM
aualexa2
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Database has been started and can be found as a sticky. I'll start going through this thread shortly and adding data.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:17 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 631 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by switchface
Once again, the same side fails. Do we yet have an example of a failure on the other side? I wonder why this is showing to always be the case.
I am no kind of engineer and really don't know much about vehicle dynamics (which may be obvious from my comments here), but I wonder if it happens consistently on the right side because most tracks run clockwise. Please don't shoot me if this is completely illogical.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:28 PM
GoKart Mozart
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Five12Free
Being from California, I think there is more money up there
True that
Old 04-14-2019, 02:05 PM
aualexa2
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Through 38 pages of this thread, and 5 failures. There are approx. 4-6 others that I've requested info on. I've also seen 3 reported GT3s but I don't have any data.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:28 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

Here are some detailed photos of a tower failure due to an on track crash. I don't know the crash details but this was a fully stripped down 981 car with a cage so I'm sure this was due to a racing incident. There was a ton of other body damage to the chassis that I didn't document.

All of the normal accessories that block the view of the tower structure have been stripped out.

Hopefully this will help the engineers on here further analyze the cause and potential solutions for this issue.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmxoyu6N

Last edited by PistolPete; 04-14-2019 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:14 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
I ...... don't know much ......, but I wonder if it happens consistently on the right side because most tracks run clockwise. Please don't shoot me if this is completely illogical.

Most tracks I run are CCW

Old 04-15-2019, 10:57 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by aualexa2
Database has been started and can be found as a sticky. I'll start going through this thread shortly and adding data.
Thank you sir, I think this can only help in the long run. It truly sucks this is something we have to deal with as 981/991 car owners. I don't want to be Debbie Downer, but as the miles pile up over the next few years, we may find the non-GT cars start seeing this failure mode, so just because one doesn't own a GT car, one may benefit from the gathering of this information. I'm confident there are Porsche engineers and managers lurking on Rennlist. Hopefully sometime in the next few years a recall will bring in cars for installation of a reinforcement cup inside the front shock towers. I think the safety concerns will push this at a corporate level at Porsche. Of course there are all those examples of Porsche design issues that never got recalls (IMS, coolant lines, etc.)......
Old 04-15-2019, 11:05 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by aualexa2
My car has not had strut tower issues, but this is certainly a concern. I would be happy to start a spread sheet to document the issue. I'll start a separate thread, but would like suggestions about what info should be included. My initial thoughts are:

Date of failure
Date of vehicle manufacture
History of track use (# days)
Suspension modification (yes/no, if yes -what mods)
Wheels (stock or aftermarket, 20" vs 19)
Side of failure: Driver/passenger/both
Mode of failure: Pothole, curbing, hard braking, etc
Repaired via track insurance, regular insurance, out of pocket

What else?

Alex
To support the worldwide market, probably should have a column for "Driver Side - Left/Right" and "Failure Side - Left/Right". Will eliminate ambiguity of failure side being listed as driver's side or passenger's side when that can be a different side depending on the car being UK or USA market, for example. Failure side choices could also be "Driver/Passenger" if the Driver side of the car is defined in its own column.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:53 AM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Originally Posted by PistolPete
Here are some detailed photos of a tower failure due to an on track crash. I don't know the crash details but this was a fully stripped down 981 car with a cage so I'm sure this was due to a racing incident. There was a ton of other body damage to the chassis that I didn't document.

All of the normal accessories that block the view of the tower structure have been stripped out.

Hopefully this will help the engineers on here further analyze the cause and potential solutions for this issue.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmxoyu6N
I'm no materials engineer, but that piece of cast aluminum looks terribly thin.
Not something that you'd expect to see in a GT car.

Quick Reply: strut tower failure