Sponsored by: APR

strut tower failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 05:11 PM
switchface
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by okie981
If repeated impacts are a contributing factor (appears they are), and a car is driven on US roads where the right-hand lane is used, there are always more pot holes and dips towards the curb side of the road under the right wheel than under the left side wheel. This is due to the slope of the road collecting more rain runoff on the right-hand side of the lane, and the water seeping into cracks in the pavement and resulting freezing/expanding/cracking or simple erosion of substrate. Ask someone who does a lot of front end alignments or repairs at tire/wheel shops. They will confirm they see more damage to right (passenger) side wheels/tires (again, only applies to right-hand lane driven cars, steering wheel on left side).
Hmmm, interesting thought process, I guess that makes sense. Still, if these are indeed a weak point, even if they tend to be more prolific on the curb-side, potholes happen everywhere, so you'd think we'd have heard of one on the driver's side by now.

Sorry to all of those that are having to deal with this. Please keep us posted if Porsche or your insurance covers the repair and what it ends up costing. Best of luck.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:56 PM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Received 503 Likes on 237 Posts

If repeated impacts are a contributing factor (appears they are), and a car is driven on US roads where the right-hand lane is used, there are always more pot holes and dips towards the curb side of the road under the right wheel than under the left side wheel. This is due to the slope of the road collecting more rain runoff on the right-hand side of the lane, and the water seeping into cracks in the pavement and resulting freezing/expanding/cracking or simple erosion of substrate. Ask someone who does a lot of front end alignments or repairs at tire/wheel shops. They will confirm they see more damage to right (passenger) side wheels/tires (again, only applies to right-hand lane driven cars, steering wheel on left side).
Originally Posted by switchface
Hmmm, interesting thought process, I guess that makes sense. Still, if these are indeed a weak point, even if they tend to be more prolific on the curb-side, potholes happen everywhere, so you'd think we'd have heard of one on the driver's side by now.

Sorry to all of those that are having to deal with this. Please keep us posted if Porsche or your insurance covers the repair and what it ends up costing. Best of luck.
I tend to agree with this theory. I believe that these failures are fatigue. I am a mechanical engineer but not a fatigue expert. In any case, fatigue fractures can occur in metals when the structure is exposed to cyclic stresses. These stresses can be much lower than the rated tensile or yield strength of the material. The cracks start at a microscopic level and then propagate slowly. Eventually they hit a critical point and fail catastrophically. The Wikipedia page on fatigue actually has a pretty good summary. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatigue_(material) The geometry of the structure plays a huge role in fatigue sensitivity but also the material used and variations in that material such as porosity. Since this is a cast component, porosity is certainly a variable to consider.

Cyclic stresses would likely be more frequent and of higher amplitude on the right side of the road at least in the US.

Also this quote is kind of interesting in relation to how the failures have manifested in the real world:
  • Fatigue is a process that has a degree of randomness (stochastic), often showing considerable scatter even in seemingly identical samples in well controlled environments.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:00 PM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts

It is quite frankly the same as flexing the bottom of a beer can. Eventually it will tear.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:49 PM
Arcanum
Track Day

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts

The strut tower failures in the UK are on the right-hand side as well. As the UK drives on the other side of the road from the US it would seem more likely that the right-hand side of the car is structurally weaker than the left.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:50 PM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by venom51
It is quite frankly the same as flexing the bottom of a beer can. Eventually it will tear.
That is actually not completely the same if I understand the example correctly. FWIW what you describe is similar to bending a paper clip back and forth until it breaks. In that case the material is being physically deformed creating stress greater than yield strength. This stress work hardens the material making it more brittle with each bend. This type of failure is actually very predictable and repeatable. In the case of fatigue, yield stress is not exceeded. The crack manifests and grows very slowly over time after a very high number of smaller amplitude cycles. It is very difficult to predict and can be random in occurrence.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:05 PM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Makes you wonder why they thought this was only necessary in the rear of the car.

Old 04-11-2019, 10:17 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 169 Posts

Makes you wonder why they thought this was only necessary in the rear of the car.

Yes! That's it, the piece that's riveted into the rear strut mounts. Any idea what the part number is? Would love to order both sides and see if that could be modified to fit.....
Old 04-11-2019, 11:02 PM
Former BMW
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to verify the aftermarket suspension parts but I think it was limited to linkage allowing for more camber adjustment using shims.on the lower control arms. Springs and shocks are all stock. Wheels are 20" stock (because of PCCB). Tires are Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2's.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:21 PM
Former BMW
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update on latest GT4 strut tower failure:

I heard back from the track insurance broker today. He said coverage wasn't likely because there was no accident. Mechanical failures are not covered especially if it is a known problem. I guess I would have been better off if the failure had caused me to slam the car into a barrier. Not looking too good for an inexpensive fix right now. Probably time to call the dealer to start the repair process and see what Porsche position will be.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:11 AM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 182 Posts

recall number two
Old 04-12-2019, 09:34 AM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Former BMW
Update on latest GT4 strut tower failure:

I heard back from the track insurance broker today. He said coverage wasn't likely because there was no accident. Mechanical failures are not covered especially if it is a known problem. I guess I would have been better off if the failure had caused me to slam the car into a barrier. Not looking too good for an inexpensive fix right now. Probably time to call the dealer to start the repair process and see what Porsche position will be.
This failure puts you in a very unfortunate insurance grey area. This is kind of a worst case scenario with this failure mode. Track insurance not covering it because it was not an collision, road insurance not covering it because it was on track, and Porsche not covering it because they have not covered any other yet and that would be an admission of design flaw.

Have you tried your road insurance? I seem like if road insurance have covered other failures reported here that either your road or track insurance should cover it. You might have to lawyer up at some point. With the repair costs noted on RL, it is enough to warrant legal action IMHO...
Old 04-12-2019, 09:35 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 613 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by Arcanum
The strut tower failures in the UK are on the right-hand side as well. As the UK drives on the other side of the road from the US it would seem more likely that the right-hand side of the car is structurally weaker than the left.
Back to my post #839 above. This issue really needs a sticky and a managed database (spreadsheet) with details of failures like the 3rd gear failure thread. The 3rd gear issue is now an official Porsche recall. If the strut tower fractures were collected in an organized manner, it would benefit the Porsche owner community. As some posted earlier in this thread, they were concerned this was a fluke issue and if it were a sticky it would stain the reputation of the 981/991 GT cars. IMO, enough of these have occurred there should be some organized data with visibility, in a sticky thread. I would rather head toward understanding the cause so a solution or workaround can be developed.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:11 AM
domkrz
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Another one bites the dust...

Old 04-12-2019, 11:41 AM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ajw45
Yes! That's it, the piece that's riveted into the rear strut mounts. Any idea what the part number is? Would love to order both sides and see if that could be modified to fit.....
I haven't been able to locate a part number. I am sure there is one but since this is likely only ever to be replaced by a body shop it may come bonded to that rear structure and may not be available separately.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:21 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 169 Posts

Back to my post #839 above. This issue really needs a sticky and a managed database (spreadsheet) with details of failures like the 3rd gear failure thread. The 3rd gear issue is now an official Porsche recall. If the strut tower fractures were collected in an organized manner, it would benefit the Porsche owner community. As some posted earlier in this thread, they were concerned this was a fluke issue and if it were a sticky it would stain the reputation of the 981/991 GT cars. IMO, enough of these have occurred there should be some organized data with visibility, in a sticky thread. I would rather head toward understanding the cause so a solution or workaround can be developed.
+1. This or a new tracking thread as a sticky.

Quick Reply: strut tower failure