Sponsored by: APR

strut tower failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 03:16 PM
911-140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by ajw45
+1. This or a new tracking thread as a sticky.
YES, I'm hoping to see this become a sticky . Very disconcerting that owners that have had a failure got zero support from Porsche . Crikey..that crown and shoulder portion looks unbelievably thin . Argh : (
Old 04-12-2019, 06:18 PM
Arcanum
Track Day

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by okie981
Back to my post #839 above. This issue really needs a sticky and a managed database (spreadsheet) with details of failures like the 3rd gear failure thread. The 3rd gear issue is now an official Porsche recall. If the strut tower fractures were collected in an organized manner, it would benefit the Porsche owner community. As some posted earlier in this thread, they were concerned this was a fluke issue and if it were a sticky it would stain the reputation of the 981/991 GT cars. IMO, enough of these have occurred there should be some organized data with visibility, in a sticky thread. I would rather head toward understanding the cause so a solution or workaround can be developed.
Agreed.

Looking back through earlier posts in this thread, the first failure was on the left-hand side of the car: https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9483...l#post13756059
Old 04-13-2019, 10:56 AM
aualexa2
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by okie981
Back to my post #839 above. This issue really needs a sticky and a managed database (spreadsheet) with details of failures like the 3rd gear failure thread. The 3rd gear issue is now an official Porsche recall. If the strut tower fractures were collected in an organized manner, it would benefit the Porsche owner community. As some posted earlier in this thread, they were concerned this was a fluke issue and if it were a sticky it would stain the reputation of the 981/991 GT cars. IMO, enough of these have occurred there should be some organized data with visibility, in a sticky thread. I would rather head toward understanding the cause so a solution or workaround can be developed.
My car has not had strut tower issues, but this is certainly a concern. I would be happy to start a spread sheet to document the issue. I'll start a separate thread, but would like suggestions about what info should be included. My initial thoughts are:

Date of failure
Date of vehicle manufacture
History of track use (# days)
Suspension modification (yes/no, if yes -what mods)
Wheels (stock or aftermarket, 20" vs 19)
Side of failure: Driver/passenger/both
Mode of failure: Pothole, curbing, hard braking, etc
Repaired via track insurance, regular insurance, out of pocket

What else?

Alex
Old 04-13-2019, 11:08 AM
GoKart Mozart
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by aualexa2
My car has not had strut tower issues, but this is certainly a concern. I would be happy to start a spread sheet to document the issue. I'll start a separate thread, but would like suggestions about what info should be included. My initial thoughts are:

Date of failure

What else?

Alex
A sticky data base would certainly get more attention. Seems that it worked with the transmission failure, as there is a recall now.

Negative camber setting might be good thing to add to your list.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:13 AM
GoKart Mozart
Racer

Originally Posted by venom51
Makes you wonder why they thought this was only necessary in the rear of the car.

This is precisely how I thought they should fix the issue. This is the only way, but requires high tech design and manufacturing. It needs to be a perfect fit and with it most likely having to be made from cast, just like the piece that fails and it would mate to, which is why I don't see how anybody other than Porsche being able to make it. It's mainly an upfront cost issue, for making a casting. No aftermarket company is going to invest that much without knowing it is going to work or sell.

That being said, we can only hope that they will manufacture this type of reinforcement for the front struts and then do a recall to install them. Let's fact it, they can afford it, and they can't afford not to, because sooner or later someone is going to sue the $hit out of them if they get hurt because of it.
Old 04-13-2019, 01:15 PM
Former BMW
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Date of failure

What else?

Alex
Failure date : 4/5/2019
Date of MFR: 9/2015
History of track use: 25 days (since purchase second hand 4/2018)
Suspension modifications: yes (waiting to find out specifics)
Wheels: OEM Stock 20"
Side of failure: front passenger
Mode of failure: under heavy braking
Repaired via: TBD
Old 04-13-2019, 01:53 PM
CardiffDweller
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't think I've seen an instance yet of a shock tower failure on the left side of the car. As has been observed, even the right hand drive cars are breaking on the right side of the car looking out the windshield, so that suggests the right hand drive cars are not a true mirror image build if the weakness is predominantly on the right side of the car. I'm very curious as to what differences there are if any in the suspension, hub, frame of the cars, from left side to right side.
Old 04-13-2019, 03:49 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 120 Posts

Date of failure

What else?

Alex
thanks for volunteering.

I dont see see a lot of mods in the GT4 forum. Would be nice to have an active GT4 owner to help moderate the GT4 sub-forum/
Old 04-13-2019, 04:09 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 630 Likes on 323 Posts

I have no real financial or emotional interest in this matter but just want to thank everyone who contributed...this is the reason I love the Porsche community so much! I'm very sorry to those who have experienced this strut tower failure as that would be gut wrenching and frustrating in every single way.
Old 04-13-2019, 04:41 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Alex let me know if you want to add the database to this thread or start a new one. We can then create a sticky.

In the future you can make requests or report issues via the report button which is the euro warning sign located in the bottom left of a post. There are several mods that look at the GT4 forum but we will not see everything.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:48 PM
GoKart Mozart
Racer

BTW, why aren't GT3's failing more? There have been a couple of cases, and they share the same part, but one would think they would suffer more failures, as there are way more GT3 made and certainly being tracked.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:10 PM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts

Because the bulk of them are parked being wiped with a diaper. You can't break something you aren't using.

Perhaps.

Maybe they are using them and just not breaking them but when I look around at the mileage they are sold with after 18 months I just don't see them being used all that much.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:10 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 322 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by GoKart Mozart
BTW, why aren't GT3's failing more? There have been a couple of cases, and they share the same part, but one would think they would suffer more failures, as there are way more GT3 made and certainly being tracked.
I've been wondering the same. My leading hypotheses are:

1. Not enough on track and not enough getting decent miles (garage queens)

2. Longer front travel. The 991 front end has room to accommodate the lift kit, maybe that also means they have longer shock travel or a different front setup.

3. Maybe slightly different weight distribution of the mid-engine 981 puts more force into the front end.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:48 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 120 Posts

Because the bulk of them are parked being wiped with a diaper. You can't break something you aren't using.

Perhaps.

Maybe they are using them and just not breaking them but when I look around at the mileage they are sold with after 18 months I just don't see them being used all that much.
at least my local track, VIR, not many GT3s are being driven hard. Always many GT4s though, and they’re always getting after it.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:46 PM
GoKart Mozart
Racer

Perhaps.

Originally Posted by Five12Free
at least my local track, VIR, not many GT3s are being driven hard. Always many GT4s though, and they’re always getting after it.
I see more GT3's than GT4's, although it's possible that it varies from track to track. However, aren't there far more 991 GT3's produced than GT4's, since they weren't limited to one model year? If so, then even if there was a greater percentage of garage queens with the GT3 crowd, chances would be that the GT3 gets (ab)used as much as the GT4.

Originally Posted by ajw45
I've been wondering the same. My leading hypotheses are:

1. Not enough on track and not enough getting decent miles (garage queens)

2. Longer front travel. The 991 front end has room to accommodate the lift kit, maybe that also means they have longer shock travel or a different front setup.

3. Maybe slightly different weight distribution of the mid-engine 981 puts more force into the front end.
My guess was #3 also. #2 would be plausible if true, which I don't know if it is. I thought they both had the same front suspension.

Quick Reply: strut tower failure