Sponsored by: APR

strut tower failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 01:31 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by jlennox
It's dark right now. I'm sure there's damage to the rim but nothing obvious with a flaslight. There's a bulge on the tire. I never saw the pothole, dimly light highway. But yeah, it was deep for sure. I was traveling about 65 mph. I'm not particularly happy at the moment.
Chit. That sucks.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:39 AM
cmosman
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like Goldcrest Motorsports makes strut top mounts with bigger support plates that some wagered may help the issue. No affiliation, just came to know.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:53 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Those aren't going to do anything to keep the strut tower from cracking and breaking off. You would need some type of brace that covers the entire tower and absorbs/diverts any stress to some other part of the car or weld additional material onto the tower. Simply bolting a plate to the top of the tower is pointless. It'd be like putting padding material on your back and letting a boxer punch you in the chest.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:54 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 377 Likes on 226 Posts

The problem is in the car's structure,not in the plates. I'm no engineer,but those plates still attach to the car's structure just like the OEM ones...
Just look how flimsy that metal is in the strut tower! I can't believe Porsche went with that!
Old 01-08-2019, 12:12 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,285 Likes on 1,274 Posts

Originally Posted by 911therapy
Fools errand, at least in most states. Proving they they were negligent and had knowledge in advance of the pothole (and not an act of god, i.e. rain wash out) is difficult enough. Add to that the fact that most city/state/county governmental entities enjoy immunity....
I've had the DOT in California pay for front tires on 2 occasions due to damaged tires on my VW R32.

One case was when there was an open saw-cut section of the freeway that had been temporarily soft-filled and chunked out. Herniated the sidewall.
Originally, the State DOT tried to pass it off on the sub-contractor. But a review of calendar dates indicated that the saw-cut section was under the responsibility of Caltrans at the time.
The other time was hitting a bridge/overpass joint that blew the right-front tire out. In both cases, they denied my initial claim... but my perseverance won out in the end. Took about 6 months to get a check from them for a new tire and alignment. It helped that I had contacted a Caltrans District Mgr to "oversee" my claim and go to bat for me.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:32 PM
jlennox
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

For anyone in Dallas, this is the hole that caused the damage. I35 between Mockingbird and Inwood exits, south bound.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:58 PM
ajw45
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 170 Posts

Ah, that sucks, sorry about that. If it's any consolation, I had a BMW with a cracked front strut hat. Rather than welding the top the shop replaced the whole mount, came out perfect. I know aluminum welding is different than steel but a good shop should be able to replace with new oem piece and be good as new.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:10 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
I've had the DOT in California pay for front tires on 2 occasions due to damaged tires on my VW R32.

One case was when there was an open saw-cut section of the freeway that had been temporarily soft-filled and chunked out. Herniated the sidewall.
Originally, the State DOT tried to pass it off on the sub-contractor. But a review of calendar dates indicated that the saw-cut section was under the responsibility of Caltrans at the time.
The other time was hitting a bridge/overpass joint that blew the right-front tire out. In both cases, they denied my initial claim... but my perseverance won out in the end. Took about 6 months to get a check from them for a new tire and alignment. It helped that I had contacted a Caltrans District Mgr to "oversee" my claim and go to bat for me.
That's what I was thinking. And this is considerably more than a damaged tire. This is probably $20,000+ in repair. If it were me, I'd explore my options.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:18 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,285 Likes on 1,274 Posts

For anyone in Dallas, this is the hole that caused the damage. I35 between Mockingbird and Inwood exits, south bound.
Can you repost the photo?
It did not appear.

Old 01-08-2019, 03:47 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

Some state / municipalities will reimburse you for pothole damage. Your chances aren’t great but it’s worth a shot.

Here are 2 examples I found by simply Googling “ Will XXXX reimburse me for pothole damage “

https://www.idrivesafely.com/defensi...york-heres-how

https://www.attorneybrianwhite.com/w...icular-damage/

Best set of luck to the OP.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:10 PM
G-forceGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

PCNA has been useless on this issue. One member had a representative come out, who indicated that the damage was completely secondary to high impact from pot hole & not a mfg's defect.
A couple of members have been successful having their insurance cover the damage.
I'd pursue this as well with dept of highways.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:34 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
The problem is in the car's structure,not in the plates. I'm no engineer,but those plates still attach to the car's structure just like the OEM ones...
Just look how flimsy that metal is in the strut tower! I can't believe Porsche went with that!
And there are several more areas of the car made of the same or similar cast aluminum material, although none that are subjected to impacts like this structure.

Ugh, sorry this happened to you. I pass through there in that same direction at least 2 times a month...
Old 01-08-2019, 09:52 PM
ajw45
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 170 Posts

On the 992 forum stout posted pics of the much reinforced front strut towers of the 992. Porsche did nothing for the 991.1 991.2 981 or 718 but significantly beefed up for the 992.
Have we seen any cases with non GT cars? I wonder if there's anything to indicate that there's something about the front suspension or wheel/tire package (or both) that is making this an issue.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:02 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude

Man, thats great. And surprising for sure. I do not know California law, but it sounds as though California did not grant itself immunity. Arkansas is the opposite. The state (nor any of its entities) cannot be sued in Arkansas except under very limited circumstances (and damage on the roadways is not one of those circumstances). Many states are set up the same way, where they have granted themselves sovereign immunity.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:13 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,483 Likes on 922 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Those aren't going to do anything to keep the strut tower from cracking and breaking off. You would need some type of brace that covers the entire tower and absorbs/diverts any stress to some other part of the car or weld additional material onto the tower. Simply bolting a plate to the top of the tower is pointless. It'd be like putting padding material on your back and letting a boxer punch you in the chest.
I agree with this....probably the Porsche Motorsports top plates are a slightly better option as those go on top and bolt to the frame.

Quick Reply: strut tower failure