Sponsored by: APR

Best Track Times in a GT4

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 03:44 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by jslee225
Thanks for the nice comments. It sure was hot out there and I'm looking forward to running in cooler temps for sure. But most of all, I can't wait to try ESC "off" next time
Look for the GT4 that balled up at Autoclub speedway... pretty sure he was running with SC off.

I'll give an example... I have a lot of track days, i'm a med-fast driver and have OK car control. i'm driving my 964, ABS isn't working (it is NOW), I'm on track, no problem, I can threshold brake and control the lockup. Until some IDIOT points me by and then decides to turn in on me during the pass. Well, I didn't control the lockup and luckily only minorly flat spotted the tires and missed the idiot. Point is, all aspects car control needs to be instinctive, and in this case it was not for me.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:59 AM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

I would really like to recomend Porsche app in regards of what ESC do for your driving/laptimes or what not. Them Racelogic and other cant give you this, wich is very big in terms of learning and understanding car driving.

(Please dont make this a thing if app is crap or not, we got them thread alredy)

But you will get instant, I mean instant feedback just on the spot where on track you trigger ESC (if on) and also how much you trigger it. Instant you go One lap fully off ESC vs next ESC on. Then overlay compare laps instant app give you real data what go on in the time departement as well.

You will not now jack ****( I mean no bad but just a saying, sorry poor english) what ESC do to your laptimes or driving before you do this. All but speculation.

All I can say I use this and even I driven tracks since 1990 the understanding and learning curve was big when I got in to this app as I see how and where I trigger ESC on track, and the time It cost me( tenths or seconds) and then fully ESC off, wow. To bad most are not in to it, but I fully recomend app only for this reason alone👍

Last edited by Nur93; 07-14-2016 at 05:22 AM.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:42 AM
Veloce Raptor
Team Owner

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by electron mike
My first set of RE71Rs have 4 track days at COTA on them (18 sessions), and surprisingly have life remaining (running 33 psi hot). Not sure if I can make two more days, so I might be sliding a bit more at Chin.

Did you only get two days out of a set?

I was chatting with the Bridgestone guys b/w T19 and T20 when you were on that wild ride. We all cringed during the tire screeching and then smiled when there was a soft landing. Glad you made it out ok!

Agree, I have had the car snap quickly on me a few times (of course all my fault) with the gizmos off and it sure kept me awake!

As tracks go, COTA is very benign (easy) on tires, regardless of whether it is hot or cold out.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:02 AM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcD147
here you go albeit slow:
WGI may 20th 2:18:24
dry
completely stock
mpsc2
Got it posted, thanks Marc, now others have a reference point at Watkins Glen - much appreciated!
Old 07-14-2016, 02:56 PM
jslee225
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=electron mike;13449785]My first set of RE71Rs have 4 track days at COTA on them (18 sessions), and surprisingly have life remaining (running 33 psi hot). Not sure if I can make two more days, so I might be sliding a bit more at Chin.

Did you only get two days out of a set?

The re71r were holding up great at MSRCresson would last me about 4 days. However, now at COTA, it could be because I'm going a bit quicker and braking ALOT harder, but it only last me 2 days. I might be able to get another day out of them, but may not want the hassle of having to change tires mid track day.

Last edited by jslee225; 07-14-2016 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:12 PM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Received 628 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
As tracks go, COTA is very benign (easy) on tires, regardless of whether it is hot or cold out.
Agree that once I got the alignment/sways/corner balance dialed in on this car, I'm getting more tire life and grip while also going qicker. With the factory setup, I burned through cup2s quickly.

Originally Posted by jslee225

The re71r were holding up great at MSRCresson and would last me about 4 days. However, now at COTA, it could be because I'm going a bit quicker and breaking ALOT harder, but it only last me 2 days. I might be able to get another day out of them, but may not want the hassle of having to change tires mid track day.
I'll consider myself lucky then, 4 days at COTA on a set for me and maybe 1-2 days more left running low to mid 2:30's with -2.7F/-2.7R camber, 33 psi hot F and R.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:29 PM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

I am on stock camber setting, -2 front and -1.6 rear, done 2 trackdays in total on these cup2 tires ( One with more or less rain all day and the other hardly lappning much). As well this tires drove 2 laps on Nur last year. In between small amount of weekend street driving, very slow.

Now its just getting so worn out on outer front edge that The cut line in tire on outer edge is gone. Could go maybe a few laps still but gripp is getting worse.

Thread depth is very much ok on rear tire. Outer edge 4.3mm and mid and inner tire is 4.7mm So I will only buy 2 new front tires.

My stock camber setting sucks, but I am ok with it, still car would transform to great if I bother to put it on propper camber. Well well

Front, pic dont show but outer edge is getting very bad if lappning more.

Last edited by Nur93; 07-15-2016 at 05:30 AM.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:36 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

Hoosiers are about 2 days at COTA, perhaps 2.5 days. Possibly 3 if I could get the front outer edge from cording. Seems about the same at COTA or TWS. The GT4 makes the tires accessible to the driver, and can really use everything the tire has to give. On my previous track rat, there was a 2 day wear difference between TWS and COTA. On the RS I could only get 2 days at TWS, but could to two weekends at COTA, albeit heat-cycled out. Rear wore 2x faster than front... very painful to throw away seemingly good looking fronts.

I think I posted these before, but not in this thread.

This is my best so far at TWS. 1:48.97. On Hoosiers, with a good alignment, CG sport headers, stock everything else, 70F temps. Probably a tail wind too. I think the Raptor could probably shave a second or two off that time if I let him drive.

Video below is a comparison of my best lap in my old car (Red) on Pirelli DH (about the same as R7s)
Andy Lally fast lap in same type of car with R7s (Purple)
GT4 best lap (Blue)

At COTA, my best so far is a 2:25.9 Again on Hoosiers, good alignment. CG headers, stock everything else. 50F.

Comparison of my best lap in the old car with BFG R1s (Blue)
GT4 (Red)

A better vid once I got my VBOX scene working (Red), warmer temps, 26.1.

In the hot weather 95-100F at the BMW event, I had a hard time breaking 30 on hoosiers (I think the best was a barely 28), the engine was just too strained to breath at those temps. It felt like at least a 50HP deficit. I had to use 2nd in places I couldn't before. You can probably expect to gain at least a couple seconds on your best times, probably even more, once the temps get back to livable.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:21 AM
Veloce Raptor
Team Owner

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

You SHOULD let me drive!

And yeah, the Porsche 3.4/3.6/3.8 engines all have a major negative adaptation curve when ambient starts to exceed about 70-75 F. Probably more than in any other power train family I have ever driven...
Old 07-15-2016, 12:13 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

New Hampshire Motor Speedway, April 16, 2016. 1:18.1 100% stock on Sport Cup 2's.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:28 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
You SHOULD let me drive!

And yeah, the Porsche 3.4/3.6/3.8 engines all have a major negative adaptation curve when ambient starts to exceed about 70-75 F. Probably more than in any other power train family I have ever driven...
Interesting, as I was tracking my Spyder in 100 degree weather at Road Atlanta and the car was quick as heck! Cooler temps here I come! Gonna go back in Fall and see.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:06 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
This is my best so far at TWS. 1:48.97.
At COTA, my best so far is a 2:25.9
Game. Over.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:26 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by myBailey07
Game. Over.
I think you'll be surprised when it gets colder out....I think I'll be coming to you for help.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:50 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Beantown Kman
New Hampshire Motor Speedway, April 16, 2016. 1:18.1 100% stock on Sport Cup 2's.
Hello Beantown, any video or screen shots you can share?

[QUOTE=ShakeNBake;13452572]

This is my best so far at TWS. 1:48.97. On Hoosiers, with a good alignment, CG sport headers, stock everything else, 70F temps. Probably a tail wind too. I think the Raptor could probably shave a second or two off that time if I let him drive.

At COTA, my best so far is a 2:25.9 Again on Hoosiers, good alignment. CG headers, stock everything else. 50F.

/QUOTE]

(GULP) shake n bake, those are some rather quick times. Wow!!!

The Raptor is going to have to tighten up to compete.

Very nice driving, thanks for sharing those "how it's done" videos!
Old 07-16-2016, 09:36 AM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
Hello Beantown, any video or screen shots you can share?
Oops. Sorry about that. Here you go.

FYI, for those who are unfamiliar with NHMS, it is a tight, punishing 1.6 mile road course that uses parts of the NASCAR course. It is not an easy course on the car or the driver. I found it interesting that my best lap times in the GT4 were only 1/10 off that of my 987 track car. HP doesn't count for much at this track.

Quick Reply: Best Track Times in a GT4