Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Best Track Times in a GT4

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 11:54 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Barber, in a stock GT4 on MPSC2 tires, while attending the Porsche Sport Driving School back in May of this year - only my 2nd time there:

Name:  PSDS May 2016.jpg
Views: 1446
Size:  385.9 KB
Old 07-04-2016, 01:27 PM
Chris Hebert
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Summit Point - Main -- 1:22.6 -> July 2, 2016 Stock GT4. ~68 degrees F
  • Allignment - OEM
  • Tires - PS2 (OEM)
  • Tire Pressure - 26/29 (cold)
  • SwayBar - Rear STIFF, Front MEDIUM
  • AERO - max downforce
  • Buttons - all buttons set to RED (TC/SC off, sport ON(blip),etc)
My 2nd time to run this track (1st was in a S2K)

• Data from Harry's LapTimer it said 1:22.5 (but doing the video, its 1:22.6).
  • Video on youtube ...

Last edited by Chris Hebert; 11-14-2016 at 11:31 PM. Reason: youtube link
Old 07-04-2016, 09:50 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Buttonwillow Config #1 PCA GGR 5/15/16 2:02.79 Tires: MPSC2 Mods: Tarrett Toe Links, Guard 50/50 LSD, AASCO LWFW

Sebring PBOC Winterfest 1/24/16 2:25.23 Tires: MPSC2 Mods: Tarrett Toe Links

Sonoma Raceway HOD 11/27/15 1:52.81 Tires: MPSC2 Mods: none; bone stock.

Thunderhill coming this Friday!
Nice job at Sebring! That was my home track...best I did in my 2012 Carrera GTS was 2:26 on Nitto NT01's. Chris Hall best in this car was low 2:26's. I miss the track days a lot...have fun!
Old 07-04-2016, 10:14 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,378 Likes on 2,491 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Hebert
Summit Point - Main July 2, 2016 Stock GT4. ~80 degrees F
  • Allignment - OEM
  • Tires - PS2 (OEM)
  • Tire Pressure - 26/29 (cold)
  • SwayBar - Rear STIFF, Front MEDIUM
  • AERO - max downforce
  • Buttons - all buttons set to RED (TC/SC off, sport ON(blip),etc)
My 2nd time to run this track (1st was in a S2K)

• Data from Harry's LapTimer it said 1:22.5 (but doing the video, its 1:22.6).
  • Video from GoPro up on youtube ...
Nice, that's quick! I've done a lot of track days at SP - you're not tracking out all the way in T2, T4, and T9, so those are probably good places to incrementally work on a bit more speed (but be careful, T4 and especially T9 are somewhat risky turns).

If you happen to attend the Chin event at Summit Point at the end of July, I'd appreciate hopping in for a ride, and you're welcome to hop in my GT3 as well. The Chin event will offer 3 hours of seat time per day (two days), $399 for solo drivers, complimentary registration for instructors.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:45 AM
TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

For anyone interested, DSC will be attending the Chin Motorsports event at Summit Point at the end of July, and we will be offering free demos as well as tuning support.

Please contact us via PM or email sales@dscsport.com if you are interested in receiving a free demo unit for a session at the event.

Thanks,

Jordan

Email: info@tpcracing.com
Phone: (410)799-7223
Facebook | Youtube
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge Champions
2021 Porsche Sprint Challenge Champions
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champions
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champions
2006 Grand Am Rolex 24hr of Daytona GT Winner

Old 07-05-2016, 06:11 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TPC Racing
For anyone interested, DSC will be attending the Chin Motorsports event at Summit Point at the end of July, and we will be offering free demos as well as tuning support.

Please contact us via PM or email sales@dscsport.com if you are interested in receiving a free demo unit for a session at the event.

Thanks,

Jordan

Sooo, here's an idea ;-) How about you come down to the Chin COTA event in September to join the Texas GT4 crowd (There's quite a few of us) and bring a few demo boxes with you. There will be quite a few GT4's out there with some pretty good drivers.

I'm pretty sure we can arrange for a few folks here that will let you randomly and blindly swap the demo boxes out for us. Quite a few of us have decent data collection systems and it will be interesting to see (1) if we notice any material average lap time differences between having, or not having the boxes in, and (2) whether the driver can tell whether it is the oem controller or the demo system and what differences they perceive, especially if the boxes are being swapped out blind to the driver.

I think it will make for a great learning experience for all and who knows, maybe if you get the thumbs up from some of the local fast guys you can sell quite a few here.

Just a suggestion...
Old 07-05-2016, 06:14 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by myBailey07
Sooo, here's an idea ;-) How about you come down to the Chin COTA event in September to join the Texas GT4 crowd (There's quite a few of us) and bring a few demo boxes with you. There will be quite a few GT4's out there with some pretty good drivers.

I'm pretty sure we can arrange for a few folks here that will let you randomly and blindly swap the demo boxes out for us. Quite a few of us have decent data collection systems and it will be interesting to see (1) if we notice any material average lap time differences between having, or not having the boxes in, and (2) whether the driver can tell whether it is the oem controller or the demo system and what differences they perceive, especially if the boxes are being swapped out blind to the driver.

I think it will make for a great learning experience for all and who knows, maybe if you get the thumbs up from some of the local fast guys you can sell quite a few here.

Just a suggestion...
This man is a genius.
Old 07-05-2016, 06:17 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
This man is a genius.
I prefer handsome...
Old 07-05-2016, 06:23 PM
jslee225
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I prefer handsome...
LOL! I agree, please come down to COTA in Sept. I bet there will be double digit Gt4's representing!
Old 07-05-2016, 08:11 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Just a suggestion...
Cool idea, but I see a few logistical and practical complications here. First, keeping it blind to the drivers would be a challenge. You'd have to do something like tell them to leave their cars unlocked and stay away from their car between sessions lest they catch the DSC guys installing a module that they're not supposed to know was installed. And what if a guy leaves the track (potentially early) with a demo DSC module still installed unbeknownst to him? Bit of a hassle for everyone involved getting that module back to DSC. Also, the data set might not be large enough for any material difference to rise above the statistical variations introduced by things like ambient temperature changes over the day, track surface and traffic variations between sessions, the drivers themselves feeling better in one session over another, etc. I'm also not sure I'd want to be involved in an experiment where my car's setup might be changed between sessions unbeknownst to me. That could make for some scary moments, and if I knew that was a possibility, it might prompt me to drive more conservatively to offset that risk, which would further muddy the data.

On the subject of driver variations from session to session, that was definitely an issue for me at the Edge Addicts CotA event in June. The afternoon sessions were just killing me with the heat, so I finally just caved and kept the AC on while out on track with the windows down. Made a HUGE difference and only increased my oil temp 10 degrees (to 257 F), so I think I'll be doing that from now on because any time I lost by having the AC on I probably made up and then some by not driving as sloppily as I had been on earlier afternoon sessions. And yes I was already drinking tons of water. Not ready to take the Cool Shirt plunge yet.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:26 PM
trebien
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a suggestion...
And a rather good one. I should be adding my GT4 to the pile by then... at least it will arrive stateside broken in.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:45 PM
LaSource
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Nurburgring Nordschleife BTG - 8:05 from April in a stock GT4 with PS Cup 2 tyres

Since then have speeded up to sub 8 min times in a 996 GT3...haven't been back in the GT4

Old 07-05-2016, 09:11 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Originally Posted by jphughan
Cool idea, but I see a few logistical and practical complications here. First, keeping it blind to the drivers would be a challenge.

On the subject of driver variations from session to session, that was definitely an issue for me at the Edge Addicts CotA event in June. The afternoon sessions were just killing me with the heat, so I finally just caved and kept the AC on while out on track with the windows down.
Good thing I am an industrial engineer then who has quite a bit of experience in setting up blind experiments and designing statistical experiments... ;-) But, yeah, you raise some good points. You'll have to set up a pretty solid procedure to get it done with everyone abiding by it. Getting it done blindly is not too hard, but it's too much to type. I'm lazy now...

As far as the heat and AC, you are spot on. My last afternoon session on Sunday, in the heat, I ran with a passenger and inadvertently also left the AC on. I felt like I drove a pretty good session with little traffic but when I looked at the data afterwards, it was crazy what the impact of the heat, passenger and AC was. I was, on average, 5-6 seconds slower per lap compared to the first morning session where it was cooler, no passenger and no AC.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:43 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake

Just a suggestion...
This man is a genius.
+1

Originally Posted by jphughan
Cool idea, but I see a few logistical and practical complications here. First, keeping it blind to the drivers would be a challenge. You'd have to do something like tell them to leave their cars unlocked and stay away from their car between sessions lest they catch the DSC guys installing a module that they're not supposed to know was installed. And what if a guy leaves the track (potentially early) with a demo DSC module still installed unbeknownst to him? Bit of a hassle for everyone involved getting that module back to DSC. Also, the data set might not be large enough for any material difference to rise above the statistical variations introduced by things like ambient temperature changes over the day, track surface and traffic variations between sessions, the drivers themselves feeling better in one session over another, etc. I'm also not sure I'd want to be involved in an experiment where my car's setup might be changed between sessions unbeknownst to me. That could make for some scary moments, and if I knew that was a possibility, it might prompt me to drive more conservatively to offset that risk, which would further muddy the data.
Party pooper

Good thing I am an industrial engineer then who has quite a bit of experience in setting up blind experiments and designing statistical experiments... ;-) But, yeah, you raise some good points. You'll have to set up a pretty solid procedure to get it done with everyone abiding by it. Getting it done blindly is not too hard, but it's too much to type. I'm lazy now...
Don't worry about jp. He is jealous he didn't think of this. But he did write a novel, as always, about why.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:45 AM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a suggestion...
Brilliant!

Quick Reply: Best Track Times in a GT4