Track Pads for GT4

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 11:58 AM
ChrisFL
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
They melt when you scrape backing pad straight onto the rotor! Lol
Dang Orthojoe, you hardcore! You want to use as much of the pad as possible but less pad, more heat! I'd rather change the pad more often then having to replace rotors sooner. How often does everyone change their pads? 1/3 left? 1/4 left? We already know how orthojoe does it. 😄
Old 10-14-2016, 12:12 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,635 Likes on 759 Posts

I like the RE10 a lot.

I used to run them to backing plate but since we can't easily replace the caliper pucks, have been replacing them with 3-4 MM left because I am experimenting with oem front rotors to see what life I can get out of them.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:31 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
That sounds about right for the GT4 OEM front rotors. Guys here getting roughly 15 days from them on OEM pads. Generally they run thickness limits before they do the big cracks like the GT3. I'm guessing different weight distribution, lower vmax, good front down force and less weight helps them last longer on the GT4

Originally Posted by ChrisFL
Dang Orthojoe, you hardcore! You want to use as much of the pad as possible but less pad, more heat! I'd rather change the pad more often then having to replace rotors sooner. How often does everyone change their pads? 1/3 left? 1/4 left? We already know how orthojoe does it. 😄
Lol! I've gotten a lot more conservative on pad changes after that expensive incident. Lol
Old 10-14-2016, 12:32 PM
Klepper
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 138 Posts

I usually replace my track pads when the pad material thickness is equal to the backing plate thickness.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:58 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Klepper
I usually replace my track pads when the pad material thickness is equal to the backing plate thickness.
This is a good benchmark to use. But it's the latest I would change them. Depends on the track I'm at (how hard it is on the brakes) and whether it's an open track type event where I may be running longer sessions. If it's a track or event with greater demand on the brakes then I may change pads as early as 50% worn. Once past 50% heat transfer becomes a much bigger factor.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:17 PM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a brand-new set of RE-10s that I can't use anymore. PM me if interested.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:06 PM
Switchfoot614
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Question for the seasoned track veterans here...

I've only done 1 track event in my 997 and will be doing my first in the GT4 shortly. As a total novice, is there any rationale to buying track pads (RE-10's, Ferodos, etc) to swap out as I learn or will OEM be just fine?
Old 10-14-2016, 08:08 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,635 Likes on 759 Posts

Just fine.
Run down a couple sets and ask your instructors as you progress.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:07 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,294 Likes on 2,447 Posts

Originally Posted by Switchfoot614

I've only done 1 track event in my 997 and will be doing my first in the GT4 shortly. As a total novice, is there any rationale to buying track pads (RE-10's, Ferodos, etc) to swap out as I learn or will OEM be just fine?
If you anticipate continuing to drive on track, and don't overly mind the cost of doing so, I'd just go ahead and get proper track pads for the GT4. They'll feel better and last longer on track, and should work fine on the road also. I find the OEM pads in the GT4 a bit too grabby on the road, and too numb on the track.

Whichever pads you use on track, be sure to use track brake fluid (eg, SRF) - the OEM fluid is crap for the track.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:18 PM
RaceDevelopementCenter
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 64 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisFL
Bringing this thread back up to see what the consensus on pads are so far (5-6 months later) with the track people. PFC11, Ferodo DS1.11, or RT RE10s?

Sounds like the RE10s are worth the $$$ if they 1) have good modulation 2) lasts almost 2x longer? 3) low dust AND noise? 4) easy on the rotors? This would be amazing for a car that is a street/track car. I wouldn't have to change pads after track use AND my rotors wont be eaten up faster???
Chris ,
We have some pretty magic stuff for the GT4. Shoot me a pm.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:29 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Track pads, like the rest of the stock braking system, work just fine. Changing to better fluid is a good idea and it's a LOT less expensive than any other mod you can do to your brakes. I would suggest sticking with the stock pads until you find a reason to use something different/better. This is the same approach I take to most things on a track car. Start with a safe, reliable and confidence-inspiring platform. And then start adding or changing things as you build skills and new needs develop.
The following users liked this post:
phefner (02-05-2020)
Old 10-14-2016, 11:16 PM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Whichever pads you use on track, be sure to use track brake fluid (eg, SRF) - the OEM fluid is crap for the track.
I changed to SRF after a couple of track days and was very pleased. The person who helped me do the changeover noticed some bubbles in the OEM fluid, so it's definitely not up for serious track work.
Old 10-15-2016, 01:04 AM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 104 Posts

When I started tracking the GT4 I only had 6 total track days under my belt. The hardware on my car is 100% stock. I swapped to higher temp fluid. The car has been a dream. I would say at leas wear out the stock set then go shopping.

Six days in on the GT4 and my pads still have a ton of meat left and my tires still look good. For me since the car has the best brakes of any car i've owned it has taken me time to understand how late you can brake with the stock set up.
Old 10-15-2016, 01:02 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by Beantown Kman
Track pads, like the rest of the stock braking system, work just fine. Changing to better fluid is a good idea and it's a LOT less expensive than any other mod you can do to your brakes. I would suggest sticking with the stock pads until you find a reason to use something different/better. This is the same approach I take to most things on a track car. Start with a safe, reliable and confidence-inspiring platform. And then start adding or changing things as you build skills and new needs develop.
+1 Wisdom
Old 10-15-2016, 02:30 PM
ML///
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bubbles can be seen at times in the bottle line from just opening the bleeder on the caliper. It's important to know the difference when it comes to bubbles. Brake pads are very much like religion - you keep searching until you find one that works for you. As for pedal modulation that is very dependent on the driver and their style of driving / braking. All pad choices listed will be sufficient for most people's driving. Until you're ripping the track in a regular basis will you need to step up the equipment. It reminds me of people who "build" track cars and never see the track. Just try it more than once and discover your ability and then focus on what to address.

Quick Reply: Track Pads for GT4