GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Track Pads for GT4

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016 | 01:12 PM
rraustin
Instructor

Ran Brembo RE10 yesterday on the track with the GT4 for the first time. Work great. Not as much bite as a sprint pad, but plenty with this car to do all that I wanted with the braking. I ran these all last season on my RS5 and was very happy with them. Found they last at least twice as long as previous pads and produced less heat.
Old 04-22-2016 | 02:02 PM
Clark-ApexPerformance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Besides PFC, Pagid and Ferodo I now have availability of the Race Technology (Brembo) RE10.
The RE10 are not as yet on our website. Please PM me for pricing and availability if interested.

ApexPerformance.net
Premier Racing Outfitters

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: chamerly@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist-10 on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor
Old 04-22-2016 | 03:39 PM
Alex@PE
Former Vendor

On our own and many client street/track cars, we've tried a multitude of different pad compounds. Out of everything we've tried, we have been incredibly pleased with the Race Technologies RE10 compound, just as many others have here.

Compared to other great brands, we still found the Race Technologies RE10 to last noticeably longer without any sacrifice. Initial bite is very strong. It offers extremely high initial torque, which is ideal for many of of us on stick street tires, R-comps, or slicks. What impressed us the most though was its cold initial bite. Generally with track pads of other brands, we really had to get them up to temp for them to perform at optimum, not the case with the RE10. As others brought up, the longevity of these pads made the higher initial cost certainly worth it in the long run.

If any of you ever have questions on the Race Technologies friction program, definitely shoot us a message. We've tested many of their different compounds from street to sprint to endurance!

We also know the technical staff who developed and pushed the program forward.

Lots of great feedback in this thread!

Last edited by Alex@PE; 04-22-2016 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Corrected typos.
Old 04-22-2016 | 08:02 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

What I don't get in all this talk about these RE10 pads is the comment about "less heat", "longer lasting". The interaction between pads and rotors, the friction, creates heat. From my rudimentary knowledge of thermodynamics friction and heat are related: less friction = less heat = longer lasting pads and rotors. But how does that translate to equal or better stopping power - ignoring the tire/ground interaction for a moment?
Old 04-22-2016 | 10:12 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

PFC are much cheaper and is a great pad but lasts only 8-10 track days.
A big benefit is that they do t have to be bed in.

I dont know how or why but the RE10's last amazingly long.
Get them pre-bedded.

It sounds silly but they may outlast the oem rotors. I have a total of 26 track days on 2 sets with much harder on brakes RS driven hard on hard on brakes tracks..
Second set of front oem rotors and pads. I both replaced to early because my brain couldn't get the life span of both.

Clarke at Apex I'm sure will be very competitive on price and will share all feed back he's getting.
Old 04-22-2016 | 10:43 PM
rraustin
Instructor

Originally Posted by ExMB
What I don't get in all this talk about these RE10 pads is the comment about "less heat", "longer lasting". The interaction between pads and rotors, the friction, creates heat. From my rudimentary knowledge of thermodynamics friction and heat are related: less friction = less heat = longer lasting pads and rotors. But how does that translate to equal or better stopping power - ignoring the tire/ground interaction for a moment?
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I dont know how or why but the RE10's last amazingky long.
Clarke at Apex I'm sure will be very competitive on price and will share all feed back he's getting.
My experience was that I had brake overheating problems on my RS5 (yeah I know 4000 lb car....what were you thinking?) using an aggressive sprint racing pad to be able to slow the heavy sled enough. Talked with Brembo and their engineers recommended the RE10 which they said was a new formulation endurance racing pad that had enough bite that some sprint racing teams were using it. They said it would produce less heat then the older formulation sprint pads and last 2 or 3 times longer and was easier on rotors. Downside was that it cost twice as much. Given I was going through set of pads every two to three track days and a set or rotors every six, I tried it. It did what they said with about 6 track days per set of pads and rotors lasted about twice as long as well. There was less heat since my caliper temps dropped from 490F to 380F (measured with caliper temp stickers) which is where they need to be.

There was less initial bite than the aggressive sprint pad, but not enough to make much difference. Well worth the tradeoff.
Old 04-23-2016 | 01:22 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

i use pfc b/c no bedding reqjired. i dont care how they last. it could last 1 day, as long as i dont have to bed them, they are good.

will try RE10
peter, you will bed them for me yes?
Old 04-23-2016 | 01:51 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB
My understanding is that they put the heat into the rotor (which you correctly state is an unavoidable consequence of converting kinetic energy into thermal energy), but the RE10's apparently don't conduct as much heat through the pads into the pistons, calipers, fluid, etc.

How they put heat into the rotors (which are much more effective at sinking and shedding heat than calipers) with less wear is a mystery to me, but I can confirm very slow rotor and pad wear since I've been using them. Lower dust and noise too...

Maybe friction and abrasion are not necessarily proportional.
Old 04-23-2016 | 08:29 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Grant/Peter. Are the RE10 noisy on the street?
Old 04-23-2016 | 08:57 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

No strangely quiet and not much dust either..
Super weird.
Old 04-23-2016 | 01:13 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Grant/Peter. Are the RE10 noisy on the street?
Almost always quiet for me - very occasional squeak, but rare and mild.
Old 04-23-2016 | 04:18 PM
4carl
Race Car

http://www.racetechnologies.com/brake-pad-comparison
interesting..carl
Old 04-23-2016 | 04:26 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

I run RE-10s on my M3 and like them quite a bit, and will be employing them on the GT4 when it sees the track. They are surprisingly quite on the street, something the PFC-08s are not. They clearly suffer from stopping power though as the pedal takes more travel before the car slows, but that's typical of using a track pad on the street.
Old 04-23-2016 | 04:35 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4carl
I agree with the "interesting".

I picked Pagid 19/29 as a comp with the RE10s (neither the PFCs nor the Ferodos recommended on here are on the chart).

Based on that comp one has to wonder about some of the statements made on here regarding these RE10 pads considering RT created the chart.
Old 04-23-2016 | 07:29 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

I'm sure we can trust those stats are based on scientific method and unbiased motives.

Quick Reply: Track Pads for GT4