Sponsored by: APR

Track Pads for GT4

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 02:19 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake

You will be about 2:1 or 3:1 in wear ratios F/R depending on if you run with stability on/off.
Do you run with stability off? (I was planning on it.)
Old 07-07-2016, 05:38 AM
RENN GTS
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 120 Posts

I'm about to switch to a 2 piece disk but am uncertain on which pad I should go with. Car isn't my daily but I sure as hell enjoy driving it 2-3 times a week.

Squeal isn't a huge deal either considering my M5 squeals in stock trim anyways.

Thoughts?
Old 07-07-2016, 09:03 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,294 Likes on 2,447 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
You don't want to change the mechanical bias F/R (front wheel stopping with more relative brake than rear wheels). The car will auto-balance once into ABS, but you will experience less braking performance and, worst case, instability. Unless you are trying to move the bias, I would not change the stock bias - than being said, temps have a lot to do with actual friction level of the pad, so you are messing with mechanical bias even with the same compound.
+1

Changing the mechanical bias will also affect the car's behavior during trailbraking, and if I'm thinking about it correctly, I'd expect more friction in the front to result in more tendency towards understeer during trailbraking, which would be safer but slower than an optimal balance.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:29 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,355 Likes on 826 Posts

Originally Posted by RENN GTS
I'm about to switch to a 2 piece disk but am uncertain on which pad I should go with. Car isn't my daily but I sure as hell enjoy driving it 2-3 times a week.

Squeal isn't a huge deal either considering my M5 squeals in stock trim anyways.

Thoughts?
If this is a dual purpose car and you don't mind the occasional squeal I'd reread Clark's post here.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:50 AM
Alex@PE
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rraustin
Been running the RE10's since April and have 8 hours of track time on them and a 2,500 street miles. About 80% of the pad material remains. These are the only pads I have run on the track on the GT4 so I don't have a basis for comparison to other pads. In any case these seem to be lasting a very long time. Very happy with the on-track performance. Initial bite is fine, although not as strong as a aggressive sprint pad. Not much squeal unless it is a cold morning and the brakes are not warmed up, so fine on the street.

I bought a second set, but I looks like it will take another ~15 track days to get to the backing plates, so it looks like it will be next year before I need to replace (would love to get another 15 track days in this season, but.......).
This echoes the same experience ourselves and other clients have been reporting with the Race Technologies RE10 brake pads. As we tell many of our clients, they are by no means cheap, but the longevity of them is unreal with the stout performance they provide.

Another set of RE10s are on the way to our shop for our own shop 981!

Originally Posted by RENN GTS

Thoughts?
PM sent
Old 07-07-2016, 05:31 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We do have :
Ferodo
PFC
Pagid RS29

ready to roll for the GT4
Old 07-07-2016, 10:57 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by Yargk
How you approach that is entirely up to you. Driving is about confidence. which comes from many places - and building that confidence is different for every person. The GTR set an amazing lap time at the ring because it inspired confidence in the bad *** who set the lap time. It's why porsche has been struggling to catch up. No one should feel defensive about running with stability control in a 100K car. I've seen too many people stop learning because they are scared of going faster/not confident.

That said, no i don't run with stability after 15 years of driving and racing - because I like the car drifting around when I'm frisky.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:34 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

Thanks for the perspective.

When tracking the 930 I didn't have TC, SC, or ABS. Even my WRX doesn't have TC or SC, just ABS and AWD. So maybe I'll try with and without and see if I can tell the difference. People say the limits are higher now with SC and the car is a big chunk of change.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:47 AM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When I track my high-power Miata (which is when the gearbox holds together), I have no ESC. On the other hand, while I'd hate to roll the car I've owned for 24 years into a little ball, a new chassis wouldn't cost more than a few fingers and a wrist. The GT4, on the other hand...

Nice thing about current Porsche stability control is that it doesn't really come into play unless you've really screwed up a corner. I leave it on and just drive more smoothly.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:18 AM
myBailey07
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Yargk
I have a decision tree for deciding about stability:

1) I ALWAYS run with stability on whenever I have a passenger with me in the car - no exception. It's not just my life and safety that is at stake
2) I also run with it on during the first session of the day to ensure the car, tires, track and importantly, myself, is functioning at a level where I feel it need to be in order to turn it off. If I have any doubts - I will leave it on until I reach that level of comfort.
3) I will leave it on when the track is wet.

Otherwise I will generally turn it off.

All that said, for example, I had a scary, high speed spin recently - the first time I completely lost control of the car on a dry track (Thankfully hit nothing). I worked with a pro coach afterwards, looking at data and right seat, to diagnose what I did that caused it and identified a small driving behavior that contributed to it. I will now leave it on as I work on that issue until I am 100% confident that I have resolved the issue.

In short, I try very much to use it as a driving safety and improvement tool, rather than a crutch that I just hope will catch me when I mess up.

I do believe that the GT4's system is so good and non-intrusive that it absolutely does not stand in the way of learning to drive the car very well and there is no shame in driving with it on.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:47 PM
Clark-ApexPerformance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Both Ferodo DS1.11 and PFC 11 compound are back in stock at our facility.
Email me or PM for special pricing on pads or AP rotors. chamerly@apexperformance.net

ApexPerformance.net
Premier Racing Outfitters

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: chamerly@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist-10 on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor
Old 10-13-2016, 01:31 AM
ChrisFL
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Bringing this thread back up to see what the consensus on pads are so far (5-6 months later) with the track people. PFC11, Ferodo DS1.11, or RT RE10s?

Sounds like the RE10s are worth the $$$ if they 1) have good modulation 2) lasts almost 2x longer? 3) low dust AND noise? 4) easy on the rotors? This would be amazing for a car that is a street/track car. I wouldn't have to change pads after track use AND my rotors wont be eaten up faster???
Old 10-13-2016, 01:47 AM
Alex@PE
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisFL
Bringing this thread back up to see what the consensus on pads are so far (5-6 months later) with the track people. PFC11, Ferodo DS1.11, or RT RE10s?

Sounds like the RE10s are worth the $$$ if they 1) have good modulation 2) lasts almost 2x longer? 3) low dust AND noise? 4) easy on the rotors? This would be amazing for a car that is a street/track car. I wouldn't have to change pads after track use AND my rotors wont be eaten up faster???
The Race Technologies RE10 has absolutely been our favorite pad.
Modulation is incredible.
Lifespan is longer than any other pad we've tested in similar conditions.
It does certainly dust and make a bit of noise, but by no means as loud and aggressive as others.
Very easy on the rotors!

Feel free to get in touch with us on any inquiries! We do carry PFC and Ferodo as well.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:20 AM
Clark-ApexPerformance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

The few that have tried the RE-10 like them.
That said, no customer has switched from DS1.11 to RE-10
so I really can't give a one on one comparison. The RE-10s are lasting longer but the calm of twice as longer is totally unproven.
Race Technology and Brembo do not make brake pads. The RE-10s are coming from another company in Asia (big secret). Race Technology is having the pads made.
The RE-10s are $200 more than the DS1.11 for a complete set.
I have stock both the RE-10 and the DS1.11.
Always call for my best prices. 843 299 0997.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:59 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I've driven a GT3 with the ds1.11 and then a GT3 with the RE10 pads back to back on the same day. The initial bite of the re10 is not as good as the ds1.11. Otherwise, not drastically different in terms of feel

Quick Reply: Track Pads for GT4