Track Pads for GT4

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 12:11 PM
GoKart Mozart
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by RaceDevelopementCenter
GoKart,
We can go into great detail about the inherent issues with the GT4 on corner entry when it comes to the chassis dynamics and brakes.

Notes:
Chassis:
The car does was a unique setup in order to help comply with the bump steer geometry issue on this car. This "issue" can be tamed greatly with setup all while minimizing the bumpsteer issue.

Brakes:
The as delivered rear rotor is way too large for the car and tends to provides the car to free up on corner entry. Another issue with these boosted cars is that you have no manual adjustment to help with the balance of the master cylinders. With that being said, we split the Mu with similar trends within their curves but allow the front to do most of the work to give a balanced entry. This topic is often overlooked and in turn does have an effect on the overall balance of the car throughout the corner.

Features of a good pad setup:
Good Modulation
Good Wear
Good Release
Good Balance ( front to rear )
Confident Initial Bite
** We also vary our compounds depending on the tire in which we run. Our setup for Pirelli is different then Michelin at the Pro Level.

Most people just get tunnel vision on wear characteristics and initial bite. There is more to the equation then just that.
That is interesting info. Thanks for your detailed input. Obviously I am no where near the pro level, but I still would be curious what a good mix of front rear pads would be. I am just about to switch to PFC11's, from stock. I mainly need/want more initial bite, but wanted to stay with a pad that is still street friendly, or I would have gone with the Ferrodo. That being said, maybe leaving the rears on the stock pads would be a good mix (for me)?
Old 09-12-2019, 12:22 PM
RaceDevelopementCenter
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 64 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by GoKart Mozart
That is interesting info. Thanks for your detailed input. Obviously I am no where near the pro level, but I still would be curious what a good mix of front rear pads would be. I am just about to switch to PFC11's, from stock. I mainly need/want more initial bite, but wanted to stay with a pad that is still street friendly, or I would have gone with the Ferrodo. That being said, maybe leaving the rears on the stock pads would be a good mix (for me)?
Im happy to help mate. We have a great package for this car but don't really encourage it for Street use. In regards to your question about running the PFC11 up front and an OEM pad in the rear is a pad idea. The initial bite on the street pad ( at a lower temp ) will create an unbalance feel and once they pad temps come up that rear would fall off drastically. Its not ideal.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:29 PM
GoKart Mozart
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by RaceDevelopementCenter
Im happy to help mate. We have a great package for this car but don't really encourage it for Street use. In regards to your question about running the PFC11 up front and an OEM pad in the rear is a pad idea. The initial bite on the street pad ( at a lower temp ) will create an unbalance feel and once they pad temps come up that rear would fall off drastically. Its not ideal.
OK, if I ever decide to convert my car to a dedicated track car, I know where to seek help on set up.

I already bought the pads for front and rear, so I will not mix them. Was just a thought after reading your previous post. For my purposes and skill level they are probably suited just fine.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:10 PM
emtell
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Front brakes started to grind on my GT4 and quickly degenerated to an unusable state where it appears the pads have pins through the braking material that when exposed may gouge the rotors.
The pads have adequate material left on them (+1 cm).
The picture below shows the pins emerging from the pad material and how those pins cut grooves in the discs. Although hard to see in the picture, the grooves are actually quite deep.
Will provide updates as I understand more with the pad and disc manufacturers.

Last edited by emtell; 02-06-2020 at 01:25 PM. Reason: overshare
Old 02-05-2020, 08:13 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,355 Likes on 826 Posts

Whats the measurement of the pad thickness when this occurred?
Old 02-05-2020, 09:25 PM
Charliekay
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by emtell
CAUTION
Have a Giro Disc rotor setup with Ferodo pads replacing the OEM PCCB setup on my GT4.
Front brakes started to grind and quickly degenerated to an unusable state where it appears the Ferodo pads have steel pins through the braking material that when exposed gouge out the rotors.
The pads have adequate material left on them and of course there was no warning prior to this taking place.
The picture below shows the pins emerging from the pad material and how those pins cut grooves in the discs. Although hard to see in the picture, the grooves are actually quite deep.
Have just started communicating with the folks at Ferodo to better understand what has happened here and will be checking with Giro Disc to see whether the discs can still be used in their current condition.

In the interim and for all those using Ferodo pads, you may want to check your pad life/depth and if marginal consider swapping them for a new set to play it safe.

And which Ferodo pads?
Old 02-07-2020, 09:29 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 134 Posts

I'm interested in the pad and wear also. I have been running Ferodo DS1.11 since I began tracking my GT4. I make a habit of measuring the remaining pad after every DE and have run them as low as 27% remaining with no issue as shown by OP. Just bought a set of DS3.12 fronts.
Old 02-07-2020, 01:56 PM
TDT
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 267 Posts
Default PFC Cup/Clubsport set up?

Has anybody run PFC rotors V3 and PFC 11 pads on GT3/4? I've read very good things about PFC pad performance and durability with wear. This is the same or similar setup as the Cup/Clubsport cars
Also what about PFC Rotors with non PFC pads?

On the Fronts i'm eating 2 sets of OEM pad per set of OEM rotors (15-20days for this consumption)- I've been changing the rotors annually - mainly due to cracking but wear is also down to 1mm...
Want to move to a more durable setup particularly on the rotor side.
Old 02-07-2020, 02:44 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Using Ferodo DS1.11 pads, I got 56 track days (Instructor Run Group) out of my OEM rotors. I tried PFC 11 and PFC rotors on my 987 and did not like the 11s and had issues with the rotors. I recently purchased a set of AP rotors.
Old 02-07-2020, 02:51 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,635 Likes on 759 Posts

With Race Technologies RE-10 I got 16-20 days out of the front OEM rotors and 60 days out of the rear OEM Rotors..
Now running Pagid RSL1 on Surface Transforms ceramic rotors and I get about the same life out of the rotors between refurbishment.

Oncebi run out of Pagid pads I will try to see if the RE-10’s are any better then the Pagids on the ST rotors.
Old 05-18-2021, 03:38 PM
kart125
Burning Brakes

Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

This thread has been a good read in my hunt for new pads... Here is my dilemma.

I bought a set of used girodisc rotors and pagid pads from a fellow rennlister who got rid of his GT4. The rotors are still good (1 set of pad wear) put the pads are almost done in the front. I'll squeeze another track day out of them but will replace after. I have OEM PCCB calipers.

I'm trying to find out the proper pad shape to order. I saw on girodisc site that for the front I need to look for pads that fits GT3 with iron rotors. For the rear it is not specified. Do I need to order rear pads in OEM (PCCB) shape or iron disc shape... I reached to girodisc with no answer yet. I figured I could get a faster reply on here and procedd to order ASAP so I have the pads to install.
Old 05-18-2021, 05:50 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You'll want 4924 front and 4925 rear.

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com
The following users liked this post:
kart125 (05-19-2021)
Old 05-18-2021, 07:14 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Call Clark @ Apex Performance.
The following users liked this post:
kart125 (05-19-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 12:25 PM
kart125
Burning Brakes

Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

thanks for the fast reply I'll proceed to order ASAP!

Quick Reply: Track Pads for GT4