Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

FVD Brombacher – 981 GT4 – DIY Software Sale - $ 896

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 10:24 PM
user1029
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 269 Posts

I will sound like an ******* but I want you to convince me not to purchase this (which has monitoring, code reading, ECU-resetting, plugs right into OBD2, and flashing capability in a handheld device and easily accessible for the protuners)

and it's made in 'murica
Old 03-03-2016, 11:59 PM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rhonda -
if the rev limit is moved to 7900 rpm, will the DME report overrevs if above 7800?

will this have the same max power if used on the 981 Spyder that's supposed to have 10 lower hp than a GT4?
Old 03-04-2016, 01:36 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,401 Likes on 726 Posts

^ I thought you can only over-rev on a downshift but while accelerating the car will go limp/fuel shut off past red line.

In my 997.2 Turbo if you hit red line I remember it would limp for a second to protect the engine.

I could be wrong it has been over 5 years
Old 03-04-2016, 04:02 AM
GAZZ
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

So let me understand. A Cobb Access Port requires a new ECU swap but this system does not?
Old 03-04-2016, 06:11 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GAZZ
So let me understand. A Cobb Access Port requires a new ECU swap but this system does not?
Neither require a new ECU swap, and neither will cause km/mile mismatch.

They work by accessing your ECU data through the OBD port.

The process is normally the following sequence of steps:

1. They ship you the device
2. You plug it into your OBD port to id your ECU/VIN and extract the stock tune
3. You email the stock tune file to them and tell them what mods you have
4. They update your tune file with different parameters based on the mods you have on the car
5. They email you back the updated tune which you then load onto the device
6. You plug the device into your OBD port and apply the tune
7. Normally the stock tune is also still available on the device so you can swap backwards and forwards between them
8. "Nice" tuners will give you updated tunes if you change your car mods or they develop a "better" tune

So you keep your original ECU, and any stats it has logged, but it has slightly updated operating parameters.

The device OP has provided screenshots for is a Mygenius device which is made in Italy. Its relatively simple to use but has some "quirky" Italian traits.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:24 AM
DrPhil Gandini
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

The device OP has provided screenshots for is a Mygenius device which is made in Italy. Its relatively simple to use but has some "quirky" Italian traits.
You mean it drinks and womanizes? What particular Italian traits does it display?
Old 03-04-2016, 11:24 AM
GAZZ
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman
Neither require a new ECU swap, and neither will cause km/mile mismatch.

They work by accessing your ECU data through the OBD port.

The process is normally the following sequence of steps:

1. They ship you the device
2. You plug it into your OBD port to id your ECU/VIN and extract the stock tune
4. They update your tune file with different parameters based on the mods you have on the car
6. You plug the device into your OBD port and apply the tune
7. Normally the stock tune is also still available on the device so you can swap backwards and forwards between them
8. "Nice" tuners will give you updated tunes if you change your car mods or they develop a "better" tune

So you keep your original ECU, and any stats it has logged, but it has slightly updated operating parameters.

Thanks for the reply.
I've not been following all the ECU threads resently. Last I heard the Encryption in the ECU prevented a reflash via ODB.
The method mentioned above is the same method as other vendors were using on the 987.2 before it got locked down on the 981 series.

Reflash on the 987 was super simple and did not cause any effors due to the simple can bus system. The 987.2 is another story, as it causes a lot of implausable errors and error codes. Some cars were much worse than others to clear codes, esp different country build configs.
The FVD reflashing procedure video did not look any more complicated, which is good.

Looking forward to reading and learning more about this now.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:19 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,401 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by DrPhil Gandini
Mine is ordered, should be here next week. I had FVD software in my 2006 Cayman S. Support was very good, and the software actually made a difference (!) LOL I imagine the same will be true this time round.
Really looking for your feedback and ease to install. All eyes watching

One thing of certain; it looks like Porsche left a lot on the table in the GT4. This is going to be a fun ride w/ mods ect.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:45 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 945 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
^ I thought you can only over-rev on a downshift but while accelerating the car will go limp/fuel shut off past red line.

In my 997.2 Turbo if you hit red line I remember it would limp for a second to protect the engine.

I could be wrong it has been over 5 years
It seems to register an aggressive throttle blip, as well as bouncing off the limiter as over-revs. I've already got level 2 and 3 overrevs, and I've never money shifted the car. My RS was not as sensitive.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:54 PM
user1029
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by DrPhil Gandini
You mean it drinks and womanizes? What particular Italian traits does it display?
You, I like you
Old 03-04-2016, 01:08 PM
EGOKLR
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman

You don't have to email your stock file to COBB. You simply plug in the Accessport to your OBDII port and the Accessport will automatically save your stock file. From there you can select from one of the already pre-loaded performance maps (tunes) that are on the Accessport or you can always have one of the Protuners make you a custom map that you can load on to the Accessport and use.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:16 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by EGOKLR
You don't have to email your stock file to COBB. You simply plug in the Accessport to your OBDII port and the Accessport will automatically save your stock file. From there you can select from one of the already pre-loaded performance maps (tunes) that are on the Accessport or you can always have one of the Protuners make you a custom map that you can load on to the Accessport and use.
^^^^ this has also been my experience using the cobb handheld device on my bimmer e92 turbo cars... it is very easy and the stock tune is saved on the memory of the cobb device

whether on 981 p-cars it remains this simple is unclear to me... as mentioned earlier, each round of new cars has new efforts by the oem car makers to make life difficult for aftermarket tuners, and those tuners need to devise new work-arounds...

regarding how much PAG left on the table with the stock GT4 tune... if you drive a 991 Carrera S WOT and do same in a GT4 there is no doubt the GT4 does not respond 2500-5000 rpm like the 911

one can speculate how much PAG did this on purpose vs how much engine response was lost in having different breathing apparatus for the 981 car... my own guess is that most of the delta is a result of PAG indeed programming the GT4 engine to hold it back in order to protect the 911
Old 03-04-2016, 02:26 PM
mrd_spy
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 73 Posts

if you drive a 991 Carrera S WOT and do same in a GT4 there is no doubt the GT4 does not respond 2500-5000 rpm like the 911

no but a GT4 pulls stronger and has a much better torque curve over 4.5k revs.

seems another person obsessed with 2.5k revs torques ! this is a GT car !
Old 03-04-2016, 03:59 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by user1029
I will sound like an ******* but I want you to convince me not to purchase this (which has monitoring, code reading, ECU-resetting, plugs right into OBD2, and flashing capability in a handheld device and easily accessible for the protuners)

and it's made in 'murica
Why do you want to be convinced? I have the Cobb and you'll love it. Only downside in my mind is that OBD port is in such a sucky place that you can't leave cable in for monitoring without constantly kicking it. If you want to leave it in you have to relocate the OBD port. Otherwise, I have a hard time seeing a better, more practical solution to the Cobb one...my 2c
Old 03-04-2016, 04:02 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by myBailey07
Why do you want to be convinced? I have the Cobb and you'll love it. Only downside in my mind is that OBD port is in such a sucky place that you can't leave cable in for monitoring without constantly kicking it. If you want to leave it in you have to relocate the OBD port. Otherwise, I have a hard time seeing a better, more practical solution to the Cobb one...my 2c
I think I am denoting a bit of sarcasm here in user1029

Quick Reply: FVD Brombacher – 981 GT4 – DIY Software Sale - $ 896