Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

I am being as patient as possible .....
Old 08-29-2016, 11:03 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 600 Likes on 268 Posts

To update the thread, i took the car down to Palm Beach International Raceway and ran it hard for 2 days straight of on-track activity. This was not your typical 30 minute run group 4 times a day setup but instead, non-stop on track activity in some rather hot and humid temps. The car's ability to make peak torque at 3500 RPM makes it awesome when you want to leave it in 3rd gear in the slow carousels that are too busy for 2nd gear downshifts. Everything was perfect...i did 3 laps during the hottest time of the day just to see what lap time i could run and i did a 1:25.8 which is on par with some of our race car laps that were turned when temps were cooler. the car has A TON of potential and with race mufflers, some lightweight oil and some race gas, there's plenty left on the table. no issues with the tuning; no issues with the behavior. Everyone came up and inquired about the exhaust setup once they heard the sound.

LINK BELOW TO AWESOME SOUND: https://www.instagram.com/p/BJivFvTD...bgbmotorsports

Originally Posted by HiWind
I am being as patient as possible .....
Thank you for your patience. Is there something that we failed to send to you? Or are you just waiting for more updates to the thread! Sorry...it's been a while since I've updated anything.

Originally Posted by Yargk
Just a few thoughts in response to that awesome "stage II" dyno on the previous page.

1. I've noticed from reading others' experiences that running aftermarket ecu tuning has had a few teething issues (CELs, hung throttle) and that, conversely, using the GTS map on the GT4 makes it run well, but some of the other features don't work (PASM/TC, I think). If I were to upgrade my car, I'd prefer a solution that uses the factory GTS map if someone could get everything else to work, over using aftermarket tuning. I don't mind if I get 10 less hp with the GTS map compared to something like COBB, I'd prefer the factory GTS tuning.

2. It still seems hard to get apples to apples hp gains from headers, however, perhaps roughly it's a 5-10 hp gain from sport catted headers, and 20 from "race" headers. I think I'd prefer to leave the headers stock because I'd need cats 10 hp might not be worth it.

So, down the line, if I were to upgrade, I'd like "82mm Throttle Body, 991 GTS/X51 Power Kit (Intake Manifold, Ported Cylinder Heads & Intake Cams) with a GTS map" which appears like it would give 50-54 hp at the wheels because the previous page of this thread shows a 74 hp gain at the wheels with the above AND long tube headers. Without long tube headers, 440-445 hp at the crank would be plenty
I have not had any issues whatsoever with unanticipated CELs, hung throttles or any weirdness. As it sits, there is 1 group in the world that can put 991 X51/GTS mapping in a 981 ECU. In the beginning i got heavily scrutinized due to the cost and the need to remove ECUs and have them cloned. I however have still maintained my relationship with this group in Germany who could do this for you BUT we won't be able to make changes once completed. I could however ask them to do this work for you if you wanted because without it, there is no TC, ESC, ABS, cruise control, etc. and the transmission temps and cluster behave oddly. i was able to turn a lot of these messages off on my own car but i won't release a car to a customer without this stuff functioning so as this point, your only option is to get them to do a custom mapping for you in Germany.
Old 08-29-2016, 01:20 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
I have not had any issues whatsoever with unanticipated CELs, hung throttles or any weirdness. As it sits, there is 1 group in the world that can put 991 X51/GTS mapping in a 981 ECU. In the beginning i got heavily scrutinized due to the cost and the need to remove ECUs and have them cloned. I however have still maintained my relationship with this group in Germany who could do this for you BUT we won't be able to make changes once completed. I could however ask them to do this work for you if you wanted because without it, there is no TC, ESC, ABS, cruise control, etc. and the transmission temps and cluster behave oddly. i was able to turn a lot of these messages off on my own car but i won't release a car to a customer without this stuff functioning so as this point, your only option is to get them to do a custom mapping for you in Germany.
Thanks for the info. I would like to stay stock for a while and learn the car before going into this, however, that's awesome that someone worked this out. To me, this is the way to go.

So everything plays nice? For instance, when the sport button is pressed, does the cooling change like in the stock car (and the temps go down from about 235 to about 215)?
Old 08-29-2016, 03:04 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 183 Posts

Good luck with that ECU transplant John.
Reminds me of trying to make OS X work on hardware that Apple didn't produce, many workarounds were needed, but it was fun consolidating everyone’s contributions;
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/top...modifications/

Last edited by d00d; 10-29-2017 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:09 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am confused. Are you saying that we would need the new ECU if we want to preserve TC, ESC, ABS, etc? If that's the case, why would someone go through the hassle and expense of the X51 option with the new ECU instead of just doing the 3.99 stroker kit? Yes, I understand you're tearing your engine apart with the stroker kit and will not be able to put it back to stock. But is someone spending $25K on the X51 package (inclusive of the new ECU) actually thinking they might return their car to stock??
Old 08-29-2016, 04:30 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

So is that little super slow mo in the middle of the video, as you pass the camera, how you pass the sound check with Race headers? Sounds awesome but serious overkill for the street!
Old 08-29-2016, 04:38 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Beantown Kman
I am confused. Are you saying that we would need the new ECU if we want to preserve TC, ESC, ABS, etc? If that's the case, why would someone go through the hassle and expense of the X51 option with the new ECU instead of just doing the 3.99 stroker kit? Yes, I understand you're tearing your engine apart with the stroker kit and will not be able to put it back to stock. But is someone spending $25K on the X51 package (inclusive of the new ECU) actually thinking they might return their car to stock??
Installing X51 on the GT4 doesn't require the 991 GTS map, but if one wanted to use it, those are the issues if it's not tuned.

Last edited by d00d; 10-29-2017 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:51 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by d00d
Installing X51 on the GT4 doesn't require the 991 GTS map, but if one wanted to use it, those are the issues if it's not tuned.

Got it. Thanks
Old 08-29-2016, 10:08 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 420 Posts

Man, that sounds badass, especially the downshift at the end.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:25 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

GMG installed Cargraphic sport headers from the group buy for me last week and did a full proper alignment set up with a lot of new suspension pieces. Car sounds fantastic and handles like it is on rails - their set up was absolutely awesome!

The sound going slow in regular mode is essentially the same as stock. Once in sport mode and on it there is a higher pitch to the note - not as deep. Their is noticeably less burble and pop on throttle lift off then stock - still there, just not as pronounced. Only one 70 mile drive so far but all in all very happy with the upgrade and feel for the street the sport headers are the ideal choice!

Now I need 82mm throttle body, IPD plenum and a tune! Coming soon I am sure!

Love this car even more than before!
Old 08-30-2016, 10:30 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Good luck with that ECU transplant John.
Reminds me of trying to make OS X work on hardware that Apple didn't produce, many workarounds were needed, but it was fun consolidating everyone’s contributions;
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/top...modifications/

Thanks Dood...i have made my car work flawlessly without it with the GT4 firmware because it's a lot easier than trying to execute what is a task of rather high difficulty. It's the equivalent of just what you said, BUT, having collaborated with the folks in Germany, it not only works and is not only available, it's on an existing 981 X51 PDK conversions we completed last year.

Originally Posted by Beantown Kman
No sir. what i am saying is that if for some reason you feel that you absolutely want to have 991 GTS/X51 firmware in your GT4 following a Stage II upgrade, then we could send the ECU out. HOWEVER, there is absolutely no need for this because I have made it all work with GT4 firmware without a single problem. It's my fault for being 100% transparent with the R&D. There is no need for it. I don't think anyone is considering reverting back to stock after doing Stage II and in fact, once you drive it, you probably won't ever want to sell your car, EVER!

Originally Posted by supercup
So is that little super slow mo in the middle of the video, as you pass the camera, how you pass the sound check with Race headers? Sounds awesome but serious overkill for the street!
While it might think be considered overkill in some places, i would call it nothing more than a necessary step in the quest for max power & torque. Besides, it's Florida...it's like the Wild Wild West down here when it comes to loud cars and motorcycles. Of the people that purchased race manifolds for their GT4s with PSE, not one single person has found it too loud for street driving.

Thanks for helping to clarify; 100% correct!

GMG installed Cargraphic sport headers from the group buy for me last week and did a full proper alignment set up with a lot of new suspension pieces. Car sounds fantastic and handles like it is on rails - their set up was absolutely awesome!

The sound going slow in regular mode is essentially the same as stock. Once in sport mode and on it there is a higher pitch to the note - not as deep. Their is noticeably less burble and pop on throttle lift off then stock - still there, just not as pronounced. Only one 70 mile drive so far but all in all very happy with the upgrade and feel for the street the sport headers are the ideal choice!

Just imagine what it would be like with the intake & tuning upgrades we have been selling!
Old 08-30-2016, 04:43 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The 4.0L Stage III Boxster Spyder is born! Technically it's missing the Stage II "Cup" Muffler system from Cargraphic but we didn't want to go too loud nor did the owner want to give up the PSE.

View this post on Instagram
Old 08-30-2016, 05:54 PM
Fstclyz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find that interesting that it pops and burbles less with the CG headers. I tend to assume the opposite with modified parts like that....

Would you mind listing the suspension components you/they did and alignment results?
Old 08-30-2016, 05:55 PM
Fstclyz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 4.0L Stage III Boxster Spyder is born! Technically it's missing the Stage II "Cup" Muffler system from Cargraphic but we didn't want to go too loud nor did the owner want to give up the PSE.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJvoWtyjFDe/
Totally bad *** ! !
Old 08-30-2016, 10:58 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fstclyz
I find that interesting that it pops and burbles less with the CG headers. I tend to assume the opposite with modified parts like that....

Would you mind listing the suspension components you/they did and alignment results?
Sound may change as it breaks in, but I was expecting it to be a bit louder - I am not complaining - actually I am very happy with the results.

Here are some photos of alignment and parts used and a shot of the headers.
Attached Images   
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
8-16 GMG Alignment.pdf (216.1 KB, 138 views)

Last edited by supercup; 09-02-2016 at 12:05 AM.

Quick Reply: GT4 - Unlocking the Power Potential!