Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 10:19 AM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Chris Harris Review

text review https://grrc.goodwood.com/road/drive...man-gt4-driven

and the video review:

Last edited by MarcD147; 03-13-2015 at 05:03 PM. Reason: adding video review per request
Old 03-09-2015, 10:41 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

there u have it... all of our worst fears confirmed by the most honest of the reviewers...

...engine ordinary
...gearing not right
...gt3 much much better and faster

Its OK, I still want one!

Old 03-09-2015, 10:54 AM
Mate
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Finally, the man has spoken. Cant wait for the video.

Somehow, everything he has to say always makes sense and I really appreciate no bs criticism.

Regardless of shortcomings, I want the car even more!
Old 03-09-2015, 11:04 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Pretty much knew that the GT3 is faster and has a better engine. Better meaning what? not weight, the GT3 is close to 3200 lbs if not more in RL, not transmission, it only comes in automatic and not price, it's a major price increase even from the old 997.2 RS. Sorry that to me is not better. I'd take a sub 3000 lb car with the standard Carrera S engine (which is not a terrible engine) and long gears over the automatic GT3 any day.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:20 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
there u have it... all of our worst fears confirmed by the most honest of the reviewers...

...engine ordinary
...gearing not right
...gt3 much much better and faster

Its OK, I still want one!

Yep. rubbish. Now those in line in front of me, move on...
Old 03-09-2015, 11:30 AM
gtr
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Disappointing, the article feels like the classic 911 vs Cayman which the Cayman is purposely detuned to keep 991GT3 owners worry free.

I still need to experience myself, being a GT car i have high expectation of being GT3 like rather than a beefed up Cayman R with an electric rack.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:33 AM
DNJMVL
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty much what I expected!But for $50000 less than a GT3 it is a great car!I still want one!
BryanCO
Drifting

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Pretty much knew that the GT3 is faster and has a better engine. Better meaning what? not weight, the GT3 is close to 3200 lbs if not more in RL, not transmission, it only comes in automatic and not price, it's a major price increase even from the old 997.2 RS. Sorry that to me is not better. I'd take a sub 3000 lb car with the standard Carrera S engine (which is not a terrible engine) and long gears over the automatic GT3 any day.
The comparisons to the GT3 are inevitable and the comments re the placement of the GT4 vs GT3 are spot on. As others have said, the GT4 is pulling in potential buyers from sub $100k ranks who may have purchased a Z06, M4, non-new GT car, other Porsche, etc. The GT3 probably does also but the price point is enough different that for a non DD car, it plays in a different ballpark. The reality is that the approximate $50k between the two makes it an easy decision for me. If that was cut in half (new GT4 vs used 991 GT3 - used selling around MSRP now), it would be a much more difficult decision…
WAY
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this is actually a really good review! He's saying its a great car, but in comparison to a GT3 it isn't as good. But why is that even a surprise to anybody? I think realistically it was never going to be as good without that motor and high tech RWS.

More importantly, this article gives us some very good pics to compare colours. Guards is looking better each time I see it!
Old 03-09-2015, 11:45 AM
csbear
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good review as usual from Chris, but he is stating the obvious when comparing to the GT3. Porsche doesn't want the two cars to compete, so why would he start his article as such? I assume it's for potential GT3 buyers and current owners....just in case they want to pull the trigger on a fresh , new GT model. However, maybe the negatives will bother those potential GT3 buyers and current owners just enough, so they will drop their wait list spots.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:51 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,079 Likes on 2,863 Posts

Originally Posted by WAY
I think this is actually a really good review! He's saying its a great car, but in comparison to a GT3 it isn't as good. But why is that even a surprise to anybody?
It was never a surprise that the objective measurements would favor the GT3, but it doesn't sound like the GT4 is as fun to drive (which is the disappointing surprise). I sure wish Porsche had carried over the Cup steering to the GT cars (hydraulic steering rack with the pump driven by an electric motor).

Maybe the forthcoming GT4 Cup will have such a system that can be transplanted into the road car. I know a guy who did this with his 987 Cayman (not because the stock hydraulic rack on that car lacked feel, but because the stock belt-driven pump was prone to overheating).
Old 03-09-2015, 11:51 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Originally Posted by WAY
More importantly, this article gives us some very good pics to compare colours. Guards is looking better each time I see it!
Old 03-09-2015, 12:02 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by WAY

More importantly, this article gives us some very good pics to compare colours. Guards red is looking better each time I see it!
...as it always does...
Old 03-09-2015, 12:18 PM
csbear
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man that yellow keeps looking better and better... Nice to finally see more colors in the reviews. Don't remember the last time I have seen Racing Yellow in person. Is it a lighter shade than what the Porsche promotional ad shows?

I have seen the pics/videos posted, but not sure how accurate those camera shots are processing wise.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:26 PM
FrstPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by csbear
Man that yellow keeps looking better and better... Nice to finally see more colors in the reviews. Don't remember the last time I have seen Racing Yellow in person. Is it a lighter shade than what the Porsche promotional ad shows?

I have seen the pics/videos posted, but not sure how accurate those camera shots are processing wise.
Depends if it's in shade or sun. In the sun it looks to neon/bright too me. In the shade I think it's great. Signal yellow is the best yellow Porsche has but only PTS now.

Quick Reply: Chris Harris Review