Sponsored by: APR

Chris Harris Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 02:30 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
I personally think the tall gearing is a non-issue. It's been shown that the "tall" gearing of the 997.1 GT3RS was actually more flexible for a wide variety of tracks, and allowed real use of 2nd gear out of 3rd gear corners, where the .2RS had to use 3rd, and was basically a wash in terms of corner exit speed.

Outside of track pads, and 18" wheels, this car should be ready to go. I'm sure we'll see similar stiffer spring "upgrades" to make it more track oriented, along with factory go-fast bits from the race car.

This compared to a GT3 is so different, the comparison is pointless. Cayman lovers need to accept the fact that it will never be the top dog in the lineup, and 911 owners need to accept that it's a totally different car, which slots into a lower category for both street and upcoming race cars, and not get defensive about the Cayman's performance.
I agree, I would love to see a review with the 997.1 RS as a comparison. I believe it would be a much better review and tighter competitor.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:37 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu

Excellent!!! Thanks for posting!!!
I would've asked him where the flappy paddles are...
+1

Great response by AP.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:02 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,163 Likes on 2,909 Posts

No,because a " clean " one with decent miles goes for 120K $ and no warranty...
And it's too late to get one for Euro Delivery (and even later for 996 GT3)
Old 03-09-2015, 03:02 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 284 Posts

I personally think the tall gearing is a non-issue. It's been shown that the "tall" gearing of the 997.1 GT3RS was actually more flexible for a wide variety of tracks, and allowed real use of 2nd gear out of 3rd gear corners, where the .2RS had to use 3rd, and was basically a wash in terms of corner exit speed.
I think the tall gearing is likely optimal on the autobahn or 'Ring. On US road or at many US events, however, I see it as a real issue. A 111 mph 3rd gear effectively gives you one fewer shifts to enjoy on the street when you're going for it. Meanwhile an 80 mph 2nd is crippling at the autocross, insuring the car won't be competitive against a GT3 at a venue where it otherwise would be. On fast tracks it might make little difference, but as an overall package it's a serious flaw in my book.
Outside of track pads, and 18" wheels, this car should be ready to go.
Do not expect 18s to fit.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:04 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Depends on the track (agree on that), but surely lower gearing will be much better on road (and many tracks).
Old 03-09-2015, 03:08 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Grant. My money is on the 991.2 GT3 being manual and the .2RS being PDK (for ultimate pace and bar bragging rights). I think we will know more if this is the direction by the end of the year...
Macca - you think 5-lug wheels might be back by popular demand too?
Old 03-09-2015, 03:14 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Reading that gears are too long even for the track is troubling. To have a fun little car wth a manual that barely needs to go into third gear on the road seems like a really silly thing. I'm happy CH is the credible journalist we crave, but his review leaves me wondering... Does a 997.2 GT3 just make more sense at exactly the same money?
Indeed the gearing is a little troubling but as mentioned in his review the sweet spot happens at much lower point than red line, so you would need to shift sooner, and it will take a little adjustment to get used to it, but I am still happy we have the manual. However I think one of the issues for Chris which by the way he is regarded very highly by me, is the fact the car does not drift as much as a GT3. The back is too planted, and feels less lively and it does not really wants to step out as much. I have noticed the same thing when I decieded to increase the tire sizes 2 months ago in my 981 Boxster to 245/35 F & 285/30 rear and with much stickier tire, and I rememeber really hating the new feel for the car for at least couple of weeks, as it took a way from loose playful nature of this car, and just felt a little boring, but then I went and played with tires pressures and negative camber and dialed back sightly this too planted secure feeling, and the car came alive and I now absolutely love it. I honestly think this too planted feel catches you off guard and I personally did not think I would hate it but I did. Despite all of this, the car is an amazing handler. it just take a little time to get used to this new feel and it just needed a little adjustment to get back into the rhythm. Time will tell what others think, and hopefully other reviews can give us more insight into this new machine. Mark
Old 03-09-2015, 03:19 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mqandil
Indeed the gearing is a little troubling but as mentioned in his review the sweet spot happens at much lower point than red line, so you would need to shift sooner, and it will take a little adjustment to get used to it, but I am still happy we have the manual. However I think one of the issues for Chris which by the way he is regarded very highly by me, is the fact the car does not drift as much as a GT3. The back is too planted, and feels less lively and it does not really wants to step out as much. I have noticed the same thing when I decieded to increase the tire sizes 2 months ago in my 981 Boxster to 245/35 F & 285/30 rear and with much stickier tire, and I rememeber really hating the new feel for the car for at least couple of weeks, as it took a way from loose playful nature of this car, and just felt a little boring, but then I went and played with tires pressures and negative camber and dialed back sightly this too planted secure feeling, and the car came alive and I now absolutely love it. I honestly think this too planted feel catches you off guard and I personally did not think I would hate it but I did. Despite all of this, the car is an amazing handler. it just take a little time to get used to this new feel and it just needed a little adjustment to get back into the rhythm. Time will tell what others think, and hopefully other reviews can give us more insight into this new machine. Mark
Mark, you make fair points but this is all hardly any surprise.

The whole appeal of this GT4 is the low weight mid engine platform and the manual shifter. It SHOULD BE less tail happy than a rear engine car, it SHOULD BE more neutral. You can change suspension settings and rubber for more or less bite and stick. To me, this is THE POINT OF THIS CAR. Of course 911 drivers need to recalibrate.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:31 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by mqandil
However I think one of the issues for Chris which by the way he is regarded very highly by me, is the fact the car does not drift as much as a GT3. The back is too planted, and feels less lively and it does not really wants to step out as much. I have noticed the same thing when I decieded to increase the tire sizes 2 months ago in my 981 Boxster to 245/35 F & 285/30 rear and with much stickier tire, and I rememeber really hating the new feel for the car for at least couple of weeks, as it took a way from loose playful nature of this car, and just felt a little boring, but then I went and played with tires pressures and negative camber and dialed back sightly this too planted secure feeling, and the car came alive and I now absolutely love it. I honestly think this too planted feel catches you off guard and I personally did not think I would hate it but I did. Despite all of this, the car is an amazing handler. it just take a little time to get used to this new feel and it just needed a little adjustment to get back into the rhythm. Time will tell what others think, and hopefully other reviews can give us more insight into this new machine. Mark
From my experience, no car is "too planted" on its own. It's only too planted for the pace you're driving it. Sure, my 987 Boxster S felt planted the first time I replaced the street tires with Nitto NT-01s but when I was sliding (throttle-driving) it with abandon by the end of the second track day it felt as planted as before, just at a much faster pace -- just like what you experienced. Same thing when I switched from the Boxster to the 6gt3. If a car feels too planted, it's probably asking you to pick up the pace.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:37 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
If a car feels too planted, it's probably asking you to pick up the pace.
Well said. Whenever I see someone describe a car handling like it's on rails, my first reaction is always that the guy is driving it too slowly

That being said, mid engines cars behave differently at the limit from a 911. Hoping CH's video gives us some visual evidence for what it's like past grip limits (as they always do).
Old 03-09-2015, 03:39 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
Mark, you make fair points but this is all hardly any surprise.

The whole appeal of this GT4 is the low weight mid engine platform and the manual shifter. It SHOULD BE less tail happy than a rear engine car, it SHOULD BE more neutral. You can change suspension settings and rubber for more or less bite and stick. To me, this is THE POINT OF THIS CAR. Of course 911 drivers need to recalibrate.

I completely agree. Also given the fact the GT4 has adjustable suspension, you really could taylor it to suite you. I hardly played with the suspension adjustments on the GT3, as many discovered the factory setting is a good compromise on both street & track and mostly left the settings close to factory settings. Plus the risk is too great if you make the wrong setting in the GT3. However I get the feeling we would make better use of the adjustability on the GT4, with much less consequences than a GT3. Mark
Old 03-09-2015, 03:41 PM
GT4000
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
I think the tall gearing is likely optimal on the autobahn or 'Ring. On US road or at many US events, however, I see it as a real issue. A 111 mph 3rd gear effectively gives you one fewer shifts to enjoy on the street when you're going for it. Meanwhile an 80 mph 2nd is crippling at the autocross, insuring the car won't be competitive against a GT3 at a venue where it otherwise would be. On fast tracks it might make little difference, but as an overall package it's a serious flaw in my book.
i'm lucky that my 'home' track is the ring. and the way there the autobahn... so no complaining from me on gearing. so far none of the reviews made me regret my order. i cannot wait for the gt4 to finally arrive
Old 03-09-2015, 03:44 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
From my experience, no car is "too planted" on its own. It's only too planted for the pace you're driving it. Sure, my 987 Boxster S felt planted the first time I replaced the street tires with Nitto NT-01s but when I was sliding (throttle-driving) it with abandon by the end of the second track day it felt as planted as before, just at a much faster pace -- just like what you experienced. Same thing when I switched from the Boxster to the 6gt3. If a car feels too planted, it's probably asking you to pick up the pace.
I completely agree. I was talking about the driving feeling on the street, and Unfortunately you really can't get close to these high limits on public roads. I have not had a chance to take my Boxster to the track since the tire change, but looking forward to it. Mark
Old 03-09-2015, 03:50 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 667 Likes on 328 Posts

If you want to see a big Pffffffffffuuuuuuuu...of relief head on over to the GT3 section and read comments there from those " worried " that this might have been any sort of competition to the car that costs a Cayman and a half.
Yes, I saw some of that. It's just crazy to me that some GT3 owners would have felt threatened by the GT4. Just as crazy is that one would need this Chris Harris review to feel relieved. The review read just as I think most people expected it to.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:50 PM
Skeptikal12
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

The gearing talk is kind of funny. On one hand, people want more shifts because it is enjoyable and on the other hand they want faster times. Let's presume changing gears and rev matching takes extra time, and that you don't shift perfectly on every shift (cause rev matching is a sin against enthusiasts) - slower lap times would be a realistic possibility. Unless, the gearing change was such that it placed the car at the right RPM range for all tracks world wide, where any of these shortfalls would be overcome by the power band.

Of course the car will be slower than a 991 GT3, I don't think anyone expected otherwise. Looking at the major differences, you have a 90hp advantage, RWS, PDK-S and about 15ft-lbs. No, it won't have the same ability to burn through the same grippy tires, which is unsurprising because it is down on power. But, if that is your goal, put on some normal street tires on a GT4 and have at it at a much cheaper price.

What is surprising is that a pro driver going for an entertaining lap with a passenger whips up a 2:02.5 on Portimao:

While Chris, a very good driver (maybe semi-pro as he races?) gets a 2:03.02 on his first serious test and later a 2:02.05 with Pirelli Watching.

upload image free

Keeping in mind this is all said and with an extra $40-50k in your pocket, an archaic manual trasmission with crappy gearing and a slow revving 3.8L parts bin engine.

Quick Reply: Chris Harris Review