Sponsored by: APR

Chris Harris Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 12:33 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by csbear
Man that yellow keeps looking better and better... Nice to finally see more colors in the reviews. Don't remember the last time I have seen Racing Yellow in person. Is it a lighter shade than what the Porsche promotional ad shows?

I have seen the pics/videos posted, but not sure how accurate those camera shots are processing wise.
My local dealer has a RY, GR, AG, JB, RS, WT, and CW in stock. Really helps when comparing colors...
Old 03-09-2015, 12:43 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by csbear
Man that yellow keeps looking better and better... Nice to finally see more colors in the reviews. Don't remember the last time I have seen Racing Yellow in person. Is it a lighter shade than what the Porsche promotional ad shows?

I have seen the pics/videos posted, but not sure how accurate those camera shots are processing wise.
This yellow is much brighter/neon. If you can find a decent shot of yellow with the pccbs, the yellow calipers are the standard yellow and are a deeper and darker yellow.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:45 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
there u have it... all of our worst fears confirmed by the most honest of the reviewers...

...engine ordinary
...gearing not right
...gt3 much much better and faster

Its OK, I still want one!

Mmmm. That how its looking to me right now. There are only two "publications" I follow when it comes to car reviews, Chris Harris & Jethro Bovington+co at EVO. Ill await for EVOs verdict. Ill probably keep my order in regardless as Im sure it will be a great Targa (tarmac rally) and fast back road Sunday driver which is what Im using it for (my 991 GT3 will remain my track car).

The 375 bhp manual Spyder which is talked about on another review launching soon sounds intriguing. They say no GT3 suspension but Im thinking they just mean wheels & shocks. The prototypes mules show GT3 stile 6 pot front calipers. As its not my track car and if it were say 50kg lighter than GT4 I could see Spyder as a delicious way to carve up canyons etc....
Old 03-09-2015, 12:48 PM
GT4000
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if i wouldn't go with black, id def get either a GT silver or white with the pccb's.. they just properly look the part
Old 03-09-2015, 12:59 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 365 Likes on 221 Posts

Another Porsche that could've been so much more but was held back! Classic...I'm not surprised!
All the GT4 videos I've seen had the question : " have you held it back? " and the answer was politician BS. The truth is : " hell f***ing YEAH it was held back!!! " And the truth shall set you free...
That's the good thing about Chris Harris,he drinks just enough Kool-Aid that keeps him sober still...
If you want to see a big Pffffffffffuuuuuuuu...of relief head on over to the GT3 section and read comments there from those " worried " that this might have been any sort of competition to the car that costs a Cayman and a half. Porsche wasn't going to let that happen and we knew this before reviews started coming in...
Either way,I'd probably still get it...it seems like a fun car with a manual and warranty,that can be tracked. And I don't care one bit about fast/faster/lap times.
I'd still get a 997 GT3/RS over this that wasn't trashed and with a realistic price tag...
Old 03-09-2015, 01:01 PM
csbear
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jumper5836
This yellow is much brighter/neon. If you can find a decent shot of yellow with the pccbs, the yellow calipers are the standard yellow and are a deeper and darker yellow.
Ok, good to know.
If Sapphire Blue wasn't available, I would go with RY....but it is
Old 03-09-2015, 01:03 PM
WAY
Instructor

I think we may still find Chris gushing over this car on his video tonight. Hang tight and not make final judgements from this rather brief review just yet.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:05 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,079 Likes on 2,863 Posts

Originally Posted by WAY
I think we may still find Chris gushing over this car on his video tonight. Hang tight and not make final judgements from this rather brief review just yet.
Yeah, I am looking forward to the vid too.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:06 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
It was never a surprise that the objective measurements would favor the GT3, but it doesn't sound like the GT4 is as fun to drive (which is the disappointing surprise).
It was always my fear that there wouldn't be enough power and chassis to properly play with slip angles, and it sounds like this is largely the case. He got close by softening the front and stiffening the rear, but that's not the same thing. And "options to play with lines and angles" is exactly what I love about the 911. Hmm.

Also sounds like the PCCBs leave the brake pedal too tall for heel toe on the road, and the gearing is off, both as expected.

Great review in that it addresses many of the critical questions. It doesn't talk me out of one, but it certainly tempers my enthusiasm, and shows why a manual GT4 is no replacement for a manual GT3.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:07 PM
GT4000
Instructor

great review... even when looking at the gt3 references (which are kind of irrelevant to a gt4 review), id still get a gt4.

balance
manual transmission
weight
Old 03-09-2015, 01:07 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 365 Likes on 221 Posts

This engine makes 430 HP unstressed...if you want to buy different intake/mid engine set-up BS...go ahead...I don't...
Gearing...easy fix from Porsche...again...didn't want to do it...
Diff...there were options...
Now steering...electric...it was expected...
Old 03-09-2015, 01:11 PM
csbear
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FrstPorsche
Depends if it's in shade or sun. In the sun it looks to neon/bright too me. In the shade I think it's great. Signal yellow is the best yellow Porsche has but only PTS now.
Oh yes! Signal Yellow is gorgeous. In fact, that's what I was thinking when I saw the promotional stuff. I agree with you there, too bad it is PTS.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:16 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
This engine makes 430 HP unstressed...if you want to buy different intake/mid engine set-up BS...go ahead...I don't...
Gearing...easy fix from Porsche...again...didn't want to do it...
Diff...there were options...
Now steering...electric...it was expected...
It makes 400 np. I am sure the GT4 also makes the same, they just don't say it for marketing reasons.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:23 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Another Porsche that could've been so much more but was held back! Classic...I'm not surprised!
All the GT4 videos I've seen had the question : " have you held it back? " and the answer was politician BS. The truth is : " hell f***ing YEAH it was held back!!! " And the truth shall set you free...
That's the good thing about Chris Harris,he drinks just enough Kool-Aid that keeps him sober still...
If you want to see a big Pffffffffffuuuuuuuu...of relief head on over to the GT3 section and read comments there from those " worried " that this might have been any sort of competition to the car that costs a Cayman and a half. Porsche wasn't going to let that happen and we knew this before reviews started coming in...
Either way,I'd probably still get it...it seems like a fun car with a manual and warranty,that can be tracked. And I don't care one bit about fast/faster/lap times.
I'd still get a 997 GT3/RS over this that wasn't trashed and with a realistic price tag...
I agree with these points Nick. I also agree with how Petevb sums it up. I wont be withdrawing my order as its a great car and we havent yet watch the CH video or heard the low down form the crew at EVO. There are no surprises so far for me - I bought the GT3 for its engine, chassis and the fact its a great 911. The diff, the engine and teh gearing were known shortcoming of this GT4. Its not a motorsports high revving zingy engine but thats why its 30%+ cheaper than the GT3 and half the price of the GT3RS after all! We cant have everything. Address the diff gearbox and engine and we would have a 100K GT4 and only 20% of the folks on this board IMO!
Old 03-09-2015, 01:24 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,079 Likes on 2,863 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
...shows why a manual GT4 is no replacement for a manual GT3.
Both cars deserve a great shifting close-ratio 7 speed manual (not based on PDK), or an optional track-optimized 6spd with lower Vmax.

Quick Reply: Chris Harris Review