user1029
Drifting

Received 561 Likes on 276 Posts

GT4 anticipation level: Rabid.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:24 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The exuberance for the GT4 was and still is great. But slowly, one sees that Porsche is being condescending.

"It's a GT4. It's a GT car, see! It's got the GT3 front suspension, huge brakes, adjustible ARB front AND back, look a front diffuser you can unleash, see! It's a GT car." "Oh, the engine is not drysump, it's not really pushing much over 100HP/L, but it's a GT car. See, it even says GT in the back."

I'm going to build my Cayman from the ground up once it dies. I'll call it Cayman S. Will do it all, exhaust, engine swap, coilovers, transmission, etc. It'll cost significantly less than buying a GT4. Don't need a 3.8, I'll take a 3.4 engine, lighten the car up as much as safely possible, and enjoy.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:26 PM
user1029
Drifting

Received 561 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by 997s07
The exuberance for the GT4 was and still is great. But slowly, one sees that Porsche is being condescending.

"It's a GT4. It's a GT car, see! It's got the GT3 front suspension, huge brakes, adjustible ARB front AND back, look a front diffuser you can unleash, see! It's a GT car." "Oh, the engine is not drysump, it's not really pushing much over 100HP/L, but it's a GT car. See, it even says GT in the back."

I'm going to build my Cayman from the ground up once it dies. I'll call it Cayman S. Will do it all, exhaust, engine swap, coilovers, transmission, etc. It'll cost significantly less than buying a GT4. Don't need a 3.8, I'll take a 3.4 engine, lighten the car up as much as safely possible, and enjoy.
I think it is less work to swap in a GT3 engine into the GT4 once BGB figures it out Doing that and shorten the gear ratios, it really becomes the consummate car
Old 03-09-2015, 06:31 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 365 Likes on 221 Posts

To me the most interesting part of the video was the technical bit. I wasn't expecting to see that! Great to see AP taking the time to explain the suspension. Being the type of technical " geek " Chris Harris was talking about,I would've loved 5-6 min just on this subject,but I can understand why more wasn't included. A lot more people like to see Harris sliding around...
Overall a good video and a positive REALISTIC overview...
Old 03-09-2015, 06:33 PM
FrstPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Please. After you do all that come back with receipts showing it cost you less.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:41 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FrstPorsche
Please. After you do all that come back with receipts showing it cost you less.
Check BGB Motorsports. Seriously. A 3.8 swap can be had for under $30K with a bunch of other goodies.

Send me your accountant's address, and I'll send him my receipts.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:46 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^ would anyone do this to 'save money', doubt it now that a very close factory option exists. Even if it costs less, hard to recoup now that Porsche is competing.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:56 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Check BGB Motorsports. Seriously. A 3.8 swap can be had for under $30K with a bunch of other goodies.
The GT4 includes monoballs in the suspension. Stronger uprights that correct the kinematics for lowering the car. A warranty that covers the car on track. Track spec brakes. Uprated springs with quality dampers. Track spec aero. Fully adjustable camber and swaybars. Systems re-calibrated (steering, abs, traction control, etc) for the extra grip and power. Larger wheels and stickier tires.

Which of these things aren't you going to get for your 30k?
Old 03-09-2015, 06:57 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by consolidated
^^^ would anyone do this to 'save money', doubt it now that a very close factory option exists. Even if it costs less, hard to recoup now that Porsche is competing.
Don't know what others would do, but it's not about saving money for me. I think calling the GT4 a GT car is cynical. It could have been a GT car, but they didn't want it to be at its best. I'm certainly not the only who thinks this.

If I can get exactly what I want in my Cayman and there is a shop who does this (and much more, races these cars professionally) why not choose them? Saving money is just a consequence along with me having to drive my GT3 daily until my rebuild Cayman comes back to me.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:00 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm going to build my Cayman from the ground up once it dies. I'll call it Cayman S. Will do it all, exhaust, engine swap, coilovers, transmission, etc. It'll cost significantly less than buying a GT4.
It was your criteria in your reply, I don't care either.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:07 PM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
To me the most interesting part of the video was the technical bit. I wasn't expecting to see that! Great to see AP taking the time to explain the suspension.
My only disappointment is that CH didn't take AP to task over the gear ratios. I suppose it's possible that this part was filmed before he got to drive it, but still...

Originally Posted by Petevb
A warranty that covers the car on track.
Is this confirmed? My sales guy wouldn't commit and I haven't found anything in the Porsche literature. Of course, AP explicitly said to track the car during the EVO interview, but I'm not sure how much weight that carries with the warranty department.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:08 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Don't know what others would do, but it's not about saving money for me. I think calling the GT4 a GT car is cynical. It could have been a GT car, but they didn't want it to be at its best. I'm certainly not the only who thinks this.
No previous GT car has gone without a true dry sump, and it certainly feels less of a technical stretch than previous efforts- on this we agree. On the other hand no previous GT car has been in this price range (inflation adjusted) either. Running costs in particular if you track look downright reasonable (for Porsche). It's probably the more over-braked car in history for example. Thus taken for what it is it's a hell of a deal.

It isn't the mid-engined, manual transmission GT3 many of us hoped (and still hope) Porsche would build. And that's a bit of a shame... but it's a step in the right direction.

BTW, we all need to lean on Guard hard for a ring and pinion, or more accurately two. One to correct the stock car's gearing, the second to enable a GT3 engine swap. The car would have a 93 mph 2nd gear if you dropped in the GT3 mill, and there is no good fix available of any kind for that available yet, which kinda puts a damper on the engine swap thing.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:09 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 214 Likes on 125 Posts

The GT4 includes monoballs in the suspension. Stronger uprights that correct the kinematics for lowering the car. A warranty that covers the car on track. Track spec brakes. Uprated springs with quality dampers. Track spec aero. Fully adjustable camber and swaybars. Systems re-calibrated (steering, abs, traction control, etc) for the extra grip and power. Larger wheels and stickier tires.

Which of these things aren't you going to get for your 30k?
To Pete's point...I have been through the modding thing before. It is VERY difficult to make all the OEM upgrades on your own and come out ahead financially. After all, you will have paid for labor and parts twice essentially. Even if you consider the cost of a donor car as "free", then you must consider resale, which will decisively sway the decision in the OEM direction.

Separately, I'm not in the mood to drop another $6k on a new gear set on a brand new GT car. That's kind of a bummer.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:12 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
A warranty that covers the car on track.
Is this confirmed? My sales guy wouldn't commit and I haven't found anything in the Porsche literature. Of course, AP explicitly said to track the car during the EVO interview, but I'm not sure how much weight that carries with the warranty department.
Not confirmed yet. But if it isn't so I'll help organize the protests outside the factory.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:15 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 365 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
My only disappointment is that CH didn't take AP to task over the gear ratios. I suppose it's possible that this part was filmed before he got to drive it, but still... Is this confirmed?
If you watch carefully at 7:40 Chris Harris says : " it's been a long day for AP watching me destroying his tires ". It was after he drove it.
He probably didn't ask about gear ratios or was asked not to talk about it... There's nothing to be said. Jethro had asked AP already...and he gave a politician's response...they're right for the extra torque...bla bla bla...

Quick Reply: Chris Harris Review