Chris Harris Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 08:42 PM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
$45k is a lot
...of money for track time , which, in the end, will make you a lot faster than just swapping cars.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:47 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
Thus purely based on numbers the GT4's value proposition looks good (for a Porsche), but it's really the suspension rework, not power, that makes the car...
This is the rub, for me at least. Porsche stubbornly sticks to the line. And while power:weight/dollar follows a linear plot, suspension sophistication and capability is comparitively skewed.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:55 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by khooni
they'd have to call it something else......

RS is a collector brand. The 2 letters themselves are worth money, unwise to be using it on a lowly cayman
very unwise
I'm not a colllector, thought RS was about driving, don't give a **** about what collectors want, really don't.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:42 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by arena-RTR
This is an interesting comparison... On one hand you have a completely pure unadulterated precise mechanical machine with slightly older technology, and on the other you have the practical modern day interpretation of it. The Cayman will undoubtedly be significantly faster, more drivable, and more comfortable, but I'm sure the 996 GT3 will still have that 'special something'. While this dilemma is pretty common in choosing a new car vs a classic (new tech vs old panache) what is interesting to me is how relatively modern the 996 is, yet already has significant appeal as a classic.
I think 996/997 GT3 is a proper comparison for the GT4 both in intended use and price point. In the case of the 6gt3 both the power and the weight are fairly close, too.

I am not much concerned about lap times. My concern with the GT4 was that it may not be as raw and visceral on the backroads and as fun on the track as my 6gt3. I am also not at all sure that the GT4 would be worth the $20-30k premium were I to make the switch.

I used to be a mid-engine Porsche fanatic up until a few years ago before I sold my 987 Boxster S. But then I switched to the 6gt3 and have learned to appreciate the rear-engine dynamics. My 6gt3 is also nicely set up (Motons, arms, monoballs, etc.) and I have yet to drive another car that is more fun on the track. Maybe the GT4 will be more fun, maybe not -- it sure looks good on paper and on the pics. We'll see.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:50 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
I think 996/997 GT3 is a proper comparison for the GT4 both in intended use and price point. In the case of the 6gt3 both the power and the weight are fairly close, too.

I am not much concerned about lap times. My concern with the GT4 was that it may not be as raw and visceral on the backroads and as fun on the track as my 6gt3. I am also not at all sure that the GT4 would be worth the $20-30k premium were I to make the switch.

I used to be a mid-engine Porsche fanatic up until a few years ago before I sold my 987 Boxster S. But then I switched to the 6gt3 and have learned to appreciate the rear-engine dynamics. My 6gt3 is also nicely set up (Motons, arms, monoballs, etc.) and I have yet to drive another car that is more fun on the track. Maybe the GT4 will be more fun, maybe not -- it sure looks good on paper and on the pics. We'll see.
hf - my 2 cents is that there is NOTHING like a rear engined 911 once you are addicted to how they behave on track at or near limits. the ability to power out of turns is truly unique. having had a boxster before you know well the mid-engine deal is about balance and control around rotational axis, the predictability around that envelope. really different driving experiences.

i would say if you are hooked on the 996 rear engine feel the upgrade path is along more modern 911's... $$ of course another matter in doing so... cheers!
Old 03-10-2015, 09:56 PM
Mini George
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The GT4 is a completely different car to a 6gt3 imo. I would imagine the 6gt3 is much more hard core and intense driving experience than the GT4. Obviously the GT4 is going to be an amazing driving experience, but compared to the 6gt3 I don't see it being nearly as engaging. The same goes with the 991GT3 vs the 996GT3, I don't think the newer cars can't compete with the level of engagement and experience.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:57 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 817 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by arena-RTR
If the GT350, in stock form, is faster than the GT4 on track, I will go to the next Porsche Club track day wearing this:

LOL me thinks you may be buying a shirt next year. I am sure there will be tests of both cars. Maybe Pobst at LS

Not knocking the GT4 as I may very well wind up one

Peter
Old 03-11-2015, 12:04 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

After reading the article it seems to me that the handling of the Gt4 is where it shines most. Harris has put the strait line performance right above a standard Carrera. Which to me fits in with its price point. A spectacular car for sure. I can't wait to drive one.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:06 AM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
After reading the article it seems to me that the handling of the Gt4 is where it shines most. Harris has put the strait line performance right above a standard Carrera. Which to me fits in with its price point. A spectacular car for sure. I can't wait to drive one.
Straight line will be ahead of C2, C2S, and equal to GTS. Car and driver estimated 3.8s 0-60. Even Porsche concedes it's faster than C2S.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:32 AM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by shaytun
Straight line will be ahead of C2, C2S, and equal to GTS. Car and driver estimated 3.8s 0-60. Even Porsche concedes it's faster than C2S.
That's awesome! Porsche always sells Cayman's short on its acceleration. Magazine reviews consistently time Caymans faster than Porsche's claim times.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:45 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
In the case of the 6gt3 both the power and the weight are fairly close, too.
The GT4 should be >150 pounds lighter and have a wider powerband even if peak is the same. I'd guess that acceleration is going to be better than a 997.1 GT3 and slower than a 997.2 GT3. We'll see.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:01 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Mini George
The GT4 is a completely different car to a 6gt3 imo. I would imagine the 6gt3 is much more hard core and intense driving experience than the GT4. Obviously the GT4 is going to be an amazing driving experience, but compared to the 6gt3 I don't see it being nearly as engaging. The same goes with the 991GT3 vs the 996GT3, I don't think the newer cars can't compete with the level of engagement and experience.
Yeah, this has me thinking since I'm cross shopping the two.

From test driving caymans and 996 GT3s and watching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTv1iNB9gJ

I can say that I'd much rather have a 996 GT3 than a 981 GTS

However, the GT4 is a different beast than the GTS and the feel should be much better.

996 GT3 +:
hydraulic steering
more interesting engine
cheaper
911 feel (I drive a 930 and like an engine in the rear)

GT4 +:
more stable
better aero
higher handling limits
new
probably some amount faster in a straight line and definitely faster lap times
Old 03-11-2015, 04:44 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1

think you have to ask yourself if you are a purist and if you care about having a newer faster toy. I wouldn't sell the 996 just to get the GT4. but if you care about having a more modern experience, then that says it all. If i had a nice 996, I would only considering adding not selling. But there is something to be said for having brand new wheels. tough one.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:29 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by khooni
think you have to ask yourself if you are a purist and if you care about having a newer faster toy. I wouldn't sell the 996 just to get the GT4. but if you care about having a more modern experience, then that says it all. If i had a nice 996, I would only considering adding not selling. But there is something to be said for having brand new wheels. tough one.
I'm neither a purist nor do I care to have the latest, shiniest thing that comes around. The latter especially is a never-ending pursuit with diminishing returns. As for keeping more than one fun car, I've lately come to realize that (too much) ownership/property is over-rated. The marginal increase in joy/pleasure has to overpower the hassle to maintain, find place for, and take care of yet another thing in my life. Most of the time, it's just not worth the hassle.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:05 AM
Mlbraptor
Burning Brakes

^^^^^^^
I like hearing that because I was thinking about keeping my turbo and getting the GT4.
But; maybe not...

Quick Reply: Chris Harris Review