Sponsored by: APR

Upcoming Cayman GT4

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 09:12 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,359 Likes on 828 Posts

Originally Posted by arena-RTR
99% of the time I would agree with you guys, but I really think this is one of those rare instances where Porsche has just mis-judged demand. In my short carreer, I have not seen interest like this since the Audi R8 in 2007 and the GT3 RS 4.0. To give you an idea of what I'm talking about: Right now, as an employee, I have absolutely no shot at purchasing one- even at retail.

Think of it this way: What other mid-engine car is out there? This is going to be compared with the 458 and the MP-12c... Obviously it's down on power, but I think we can all agree that raw power is just a fraction of what makes a car fun to drive. For someone that wants a mid-engine automobile, there is nothing available anywhere NEAR this vehicle.

I really hope that Porsche decides to produce enough of these, but in all honesty I don't think they will- The hype it will create from unavialability is worth significantly more to the brand than however much they will profit on a few thousand cars.
So, after this post here

Originally Posted by arena-RTR
If anyone is in the Los Angeles/ OC area and wants to start a relationship up with a dealer that actually knows and appreciates the product, I have only 1 deposit so far.

We are going to try to keep our allocations for local customers though- again we would like to build a relationship with our clients.
this new one is to prepare us for a "bend over and smile" experience since
"we are gonna charge above and beyond". But don't worry because you'll guarantee that we'll like that experience.

P.S.
I still don't see the "sponsor" tag under your name.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:49 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

no confusion necessary

keep the Spyder!

get the GT4 (yes, joe, do it)

add a bigger warehouse

Originally Posted by mooty
pls dont confuse joe.
i know him well. he has two more bays in garage for lift. he needs the GT4. he also need someone to help him drive it.
i always love to help a friend out.

joe, do it.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:19 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
I would not sell the Spyder, I sold mine without fully thinking it out and was fortunate enough to buy it back a week later for the same price and it will not be for sale again.

As for the GT4 purchase I would balance it against your 991 GT3 and decide which is the better car for you. for me it is the Spyder and my 997.2 GT3 but each to his or her own.
I hear you. I can make legitmate arguments either way right now. What pushes me towards the GT4 is that I primarily use my cars on the track. I don't cruise, I don't do canyon runs, and I don't live close enough to ocean. I find that I don't really take advantage of the open top experience. On the other hand, the open top experience is unique and certainly a distinct advantage over the GT3...

Originally Posted by mooty
pls dont confuse joe.
i know him well. he has two more bays in garage for lift. he needs the GT4. he also need someone to help him drive it.
i always love to help a friend out.

joe, do it.
Drug dealer!!!

Originally Posted by JSF101
no confusion necessary

keep the Spyder!

get the GT4 (yes, joe, do it)

add a bigger warehouse
I can always count on you guys to help me out! Love it!
Old 02-07-2015, 12:01 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Joe don't try to justify it, none of these cars are necessities in life. But you only live once so why not buy the GT4, keep the Spyder and the GT3. Or sell the GT3 and buy the GT4.....

You seriously need to get out on a canyon run with the Spyder, I can't believe you don't do that when you're so close to the best roads in the US!
Old 02-07-2015, 12:24 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Joe don't try to justify it, none of these cars are necessities in life. But you only live once so why not buy the GT4, keep the Spyder and the GT3. Or sell the GT3 and buy the GT4.....

You seriously need to get out on a canyon run with the Spyder, I can't believe you don't do that when you're so close to the best roads in the US!
You're right man, nothing about any of these cars can be justified rationally. LOL.
The GT3 is a beast, and if forced to choose, I would pick the GT3 over the GT4. I wish I could keep them all, but it's already ridiculous enough at this point! LOL.

I've never found any great roads closeby to where I live. My concerns have always been unknown road hazards, bikers, and police. Things only really come alive for me when I'm driving on a track for some reason. You're right, though, I need to find some better roads. I went to Marin the other day with ChrisF and it was a blast, but I was in the GT3.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:52 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe

I've never found any great roads closeby to where I live. My concerns have always been unknown road hazards, bikers, and police. Things only really come alive for me when I'm driving on a track for some reason. You're right, though, I need to find some better roads. I went to Marin the other day with ChrisF and it was a blast, but I was in the GT3.
Try the same drive in the Spyder, top down with no hindrance of a helmet or harness. No need to drive 9/10th's, just enjoy the drive.

If after that you still prefer the track experience and want a more powerful scalpel the GT4 does make a great deal of sense. And don't be too quick to assume you won't like the GT4 as much or more than the GT3, you never know until you get a taste.

Love the license plate, F'n hilarious!
Old 02-07-2015, 12:55 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Try the same drive in the Spyder, top down with no hindrance of a helmet or harness. No need to drive 9/10th's, just enjoy the drive. If after that you still prefer the track experience and want a more powerful scalpel the GT4 does make a great deal of sense. And don't be too quick to assume you won't like the GT4 as much or more than the GT3, you never know until you get a taste. Love the license plate, F'n hilarious!
Good advice!! Thanks, afshin!
Old 02-07-2015, 05:35 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

guy is a track junkie....

paddle shift is faster. I know. i love my m3 CSL and it's different.

but convertible for track is less desirable due to a variety of reasons, starting with safety and ending with rigidity.

However, as you say, if you dun track and love the open road/winding roads and can access them, it is awesome.

I have wife and 2 kids like Joe, the fixes need to be super strong and intensive so only track will do, that's why the spyder had to go. If i drive at 3/10s, it would have stayed..........

I think Mooty summed it best. you have space, get another "mistress".

I think i'll go looking for another spyder when the clubsport boxster comes out, so i can keep it for when i retire and kids go off to college.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:16 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

You're right, though, I need to find some better roads. I went to Marin the other day with ChrisF and it was a blast, but I was in the GT3.
Joe - Next Marin trip for u (if you haven't already):

Valley Ford Rd out of Petaluma
Bohemian Highway to Camp Meeker
Marshall Petaluma Road from Nicasio

Kudos on the vanity plate...ROFL

Old 02-07-2015, 11:17 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would the wing on the gt4 be so much smaller than on the gt3? Seems under scaled?
Old 02-07-2015, 11:24 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
Joe - Next Marin trip for u (if you haven't already):

Valley Ford Rd out of Petaluma
Bohemian Highway to Camp Meeker
Marshall Petaluma Road from Nicasio

Kudos on the vanity plate...ROFL

Thanks and Thanks!!
Old 02-07-2015, 11:35 PM
drwuss
Racer

Ortho joe,
If I were you I wouldn't get the GT4. You already have the GT3 and said you would keep it over a gt4. Do you want two track cars? Would you ever want to drive the slower one if you had two? I would think a spider for street driving and the GT3 on track would be just about perfect.

just my $.02
Old 02-07-2015, 11:39 PM
drwuss
Racer

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
Why would the wing on the gt4 be so much smaller than on the gt3? Seems under scaled?

In the EVO video AP said that they wanted the GT4 to be a zero lift car (but is actually has downforce). My guess is that they decided a bigger wing would not balance with what they did with the front of the car. I am just an idiot with a keyboard though...
Old 02-07-2015, 11:48 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by drwuss
Ortho joe,
If I were you I wouldn't get the GT4. You already have the GT3 and said you would keep it over a gt4. Do you want two track cars? Would you ever want to drive the slower one if you had two? I would think a spider for street driving and the GT3 on track would be just about perfect.

just my $.02
Your argument is exactly why I haven't put the spyder up for sale yet. I will say this, though, with the GT3 you are pretty much the fastest car out there short of a cup car. It's great as a time trial car to try getting the best lap that you can, but there is really nobody else to play with out there. The GT4 will get you back into the pack gives you a chance to 'play' more. The one thing about the spyder is that you get praise and good feelings for being able to keep up/pass faster cars. The GT4 takes it up just a notch. With the GT3, if you are passing everyone, everyone expects you to. If you aren't passing everything, everyone thinks your slow.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:53 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

With the GT3, if you are passing everyone, everyone expects you to. If you aren't passing everything, everyone thinks your slow.
Ahhh. Owning a GT3 is such a burden!

Quick Reply: Upcoming Cayman GT4