Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Upcoming Cayman GT4

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 02:06 AM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't do it joe! You have the perfect sandwich now! I'll get the tweener so I can edge you out in the spyder, but hope to hang with the gt3! Deposit in yesterday!
Old 02-06-2015, 02:14 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
Don't do it joe! You have the perfect sandwich now! I'll get the tweener so I can edge you out in the spyder, but hope to hang with the gt3! Deposit in yesterday!
Lmao!
Old 02-06-2015, 03:02 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

I do not see many 918 owners getting a GT4....
thus spots at your dealer shouldnt be too hard to get....
Remember, this is an expensive Cayman.

Sales will be exciting to watch on this model however.
Id like to think they do well with this model. But I am a track ***** so im biased
Old 02-06-2015, 04:18 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonnen Porsche
Correct..If we ordered a Euro delivery 991 810 we got back a Turbo or Turbo S allocation instead...we get a Cayman GTS back for the Cayman GT4...it is a limited edition model with only approx 1200 due over 2 model years....
MY 2015/16 or 2016/17 ?
Old 02-06-2015, 12:17 PM
sebis
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Guys, relax. The same hysteria happened with the 991 GT3. Everyone who REALLY wants one will get one. Half of the people with deposits won't follow through. That list of 11 is probably 5 at best. If you want the FIRST one, then you should panic. Otherwise, you'll eventually get one. It just might not be this year if you're not on a list yet.

Yeah, the one thing holding me back is the 'open top' experience, but I rarely use the spyder other than on track.... A peridot green or birch green GT4 would be cool...
Spoke with the dealer this morning, I am (maybe) #7 on the list, have "at least" six in front of me including a 918 owner. We shall see...
Old 02-06-2015, 01:48 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

Guys, relax. The same hysteria happened with the 991 GT3. Everyone who REALLY wants one will get one. Half of the people with deposits won't follow through. That list of 11 is probably 5 at best. If you want the FIRST one, then you should panic. Otherwise, you'll eventually get one. It just might not be this year if you're not on a list yet. Yeah, the one thing holding me back is the 'open top' experience, but I rarely use the spyder other than on track.... A peridot green or birch green GT4 would be cool...
Agree with this. It will take time, but I think anyone who wants one will get one. I'd take one over my Spyder too but can't see the point of having a gt4 and gt3 in my circumstances.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:57 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon70
Agree with this. It will take time, but I think anyone who wants one will get one. I'd take one over my Spyder too but can't see the point of having a gt4 and gt3 in my circumstances.
There is no point and it makes NO sense! LOL! But I'm considering it anyway.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:28 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Eduardo,
I am getting one of the first cars. It will be racing yellow for me as I don't want to wait for PTS.

spec is

leather/pccb/clubsport/buckets/pdsl

that's it
Old 02-06-2015, 03:50 PM
Sonnen Porsche
Former Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
MY 2015/16 or 2016/17 ?
2016 Model is first with first adopters getting White, Black, Yellow, Guards Red, Jet Black Metallic only as there is a delay on the other colors until April builds....
Old 02-06-2015, 04:38 PM
arena-RTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sebis
Spoke with the dealer this morning, I am (maybe) #7 on the list, have "at least" six in front of me including a 918 owner. We shall see...
At our dealership we are seeing interest levels significantly higher than the 991 GT3. The last few days since the announcement have been crazy.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:56 PM
arena-RTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon70
Agree with this. It will take time, but I think anyone who wants one will get one.
Guys, relax. The same hysteria happened with the 991 GT3. Everyone who REALLY wants one will get one. Half of the people with deposits won't follow through. That list of 11 is probably 5 at best. If you want the FIRST one, then you should panic. Otherwise, you'll eventually get one. It just might not be this year if you're not on a list yet.
99% of the time I would agree with you guys, but I really think this is one of those rare instances where Porsche has just mis-judged demand. In my short carreer, I have not seen interest like this since the Audi R8 in 2007 and the GT3 RS 4.0. To give you an idea of what I'm talking about: Right now, as an employee, I have absolutely no shot at purchasing one- even at retail.

Think of it this way: What other mid-engine car is out there? This is going to be compared with the 458 and the MP-12c... Obviously it's down on power, but I think we can all agree that raw power is just a fraction of what makes a car fun to drive. For someone that wants a mid-engine automobile, there is nothing available anywhere NEAR this vehicle.

I really hope that Porsche decides to produce enough of these, but in all honesty I don't think they will- The hype it will create from unavialability is worth significantly more to the brand than however much they will profit on a few thousand cars.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:03 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hoopumpers
Dude. I love this post.

I almost bought a second spyder when I saw a prime one on the market recently. No justification whatsoever other than that I love the car. People don't know what they are missing
Dude,

best convertible - spyder
best car for me--- just released. will probably know build date next week
Old 02-06-2015, 05:05 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by khooni
jokes aside.

I get the throttle linearity part, I get the noise part but from a speed i.e. track time aspect, i can't get why a gt3 should not be turbocharged in the future. After all, it hasn't stopped an F40 becoming an all-time great even though it was laggy compared to current turbos. If you want fast, sophisticated electronics and tire technology will get you there. witness the 991 Gt3.

If you want faster, add aero, tada 991 Gt3 RS

if you want faster still, add turbo power

and even faster add batteries and even more electronics with AWD ala 918

the template is being written right infront of you. Porsche has zero problems engineering feel and emotion into their cars and neither does ferrari

so why not, build one for the luddites? the enthusiast that only wants to go SLOW, shift manually and revel in trying to get everything right while heel & toeing to get the car to slow down before trying to wrestle it into a corner (whilst constantly worrying about not mis-shifting). Why not build one hardcore as nails with the 987 boxster spyder ethos but squarely aimed at frequent track day folks that also enjoy driving on the roads. The car needs to be of manageable width, tires that are not too wide (so some slip) with everything needed to pilot a car fast completely at hand. THAT is the car I want and it doesn't have to break any Nurburgring records nor does it have to break my PB at my local track, it just has to involve me/nurture my skills and make me smile at the end of a track day.

That hopefully will be the Gt4
ok, only disappointed with having to turn off psm, when in sport mode, to deactivate auto-blipping. Otherwise, spot on, porsche

Bravo. Bravo. Bravo.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:38 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Maybe. I'd have the sell the spyder, which I never thought I would do. I can't decide!
I would not sell the Spyder, I sold mine without fully thinking it out and was fortunate enough to buy it back a week later for the same price and it will not be for sale again.

As for the GT4 purchase I would balance it against your 991 GT3 and decide which is the better car for you. for me it is the Spyder and my 997.2 GT3 but each to his or her own.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:42 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
I would not sell the Spyder, I sold mine without fully thinking it out and was fortunate enough to buy it back a week later for the same price and it will not be for sale again.

As for the GT4 purchase I would balance it against your 991 GT3 and decide which is the better car for you. for me it is the Spyder and my 997.2 GT3 but each to his or her own.
pls dont confuse joe.
i know him well. he has two more bays in garage for lift. he needs the GT4. he also need someone to help him drive it.
i always love to help a friend out.

joe, do it.

Quick Reply: Upcoming Cayman GT4