Upcoming Cayman GT4

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 11:01 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 124 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Anybody here were hoping for PDK?
Yea, sort of. Not because I prefer PDK over manual. But wanted to try the new brave world of PDK. If it was available with PDK, would be different enough from my 7.2 GT3 to possibly justify keeping both. If it is manual only, I would have to choose one or the other and I can't see the GT4 winning that argument... oh well, will cross that bridge later. Hopefully, PDK-S will be an option.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:06 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by sunnyr
Yea, sort of. Not because I prefer PDK over manual. But wanted to try the new brave world of PDK. If it was available with PDK, would be different enough from my 7.2 GT3 to possibly justify keeping both. If it is manual only, I would have to choose one or the other and I can't see the GT4 winning that argument... oh well, will cross that bridge later. Hopefully, PDK-S will be an option.
i read you loud and clear.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:30 PM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by sunnyr
I'm likely going to keep both assuming I can get the GT4 which looks promsing according to my dealer. My 7.2 GT3 is not going anywhere and I'm thinking that they will be different enough, should be, to warrant hanging on to both. We'll see
Old 01-26-2015, 07:19 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,359 Likes on 828 Posts

Interesting.
All those voices in the beginning asking fora manual when the GT3 was introduced. PAG apparently made it std on the GT4 launch despite their own study showing otherwise.
And now we hear more voices clamoring for PDK or expressing doubt about the comparison.
What is PAG to do; offer an optional choice?
Old 01-26-2015, 10:11 AM
nh4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1

Anybody here were hoping for PDK?
I'm in the PDK-hopeful camp. I'm hoping the car can be optioned with either PDK or MT and keep everyone happy.

-nh4.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:53 AM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by nh4
I'm in the PDK-hopeful camp. I'm hoping the car can be optioned with either PDK or MT and keep everyone happy.
+1. I am totally infatuated with the PDK in my CS, after many years of driving manual only, and want to see the PDK-S w/LSD from the GT3 in the GT4. I will pass on it if it is MT only, and probably wait for it to become an option in the future, or look for a used 991 GT3 sometime down the line instead.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:38 PM
steve0827
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Interesting.
All those voices in the beginning asking fora manual when the GT3 was introduced. PAG apparently made it std on the GT4 launch despite their own study showing otherwise.
And now we hear more voices clamoring for PDK or expressing doubt about the comparison.
What is PAG to do; offer an optional choice?
I heard it had something to do with the regulations in the GT4 race series.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:39 PM
Ohio2Kentucky
Track Day

Car looks amazing! Should be interesting if this is a manual being mid engine. Has me thinking vs. a 991 GT3.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:00 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,954 Likes on 2,806 Posts

If the GT4 is Manual only, I hope there is a strong customer demand and it sells well. I am not opposed to having a choice (best outcome), but without showing strong support for Manual the future will otherwise be PDK only.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:45 PM
nh4
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tom Tweed
I will pass on it if it is MT only, and probably wait for it to become an option in the future, or look for a used 991 GT3 sometime down the line instead.
That's a lot like what my plan is starting to look like as well. From the threads in the GT3 section it looks like there are cars to be had at, or close to, MSRP. Seems like it might require a bit of digging to find them, but it looks like they are out there. I also wouldn't be surprised if inventory bumps up a little once the GT3-RS is out.

Originally Posted by GrantG
If the GT4 is Manual only, I hope there is a strong customer demand and it sells well. I am not opposed to having a choice (best outcome), but without showing strong support for Manual the future will otherwise be PDK only.
Even though I'm hoping PDK is an option, I wholeheartedly agree with this. A solid MT should always be an option and I can appreciate why there are a lot of people that love to row their own gears... Unfortunately, particularly if the GT4 is MT only, I'm not one of those people!

-nh4.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:54 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by nh4
That's a lot like what my plan is starting to look like as well. From the threads in the GT3 section it looks like there are cars to be had at, or close to, MSRP. Seems like it might require a bit of digging to find them, but it looks like they are out there. I also wouldn't be surprised if inventory bumps up a little once the GT3-RS is out. Even though I'm hoping PDK is an option, I wholeheartedly agree with this. A solid MT should always be an option and I can appreciate why there are a lot of people that love to row their own gears... Unfortunately, particularly if the GT4 is MT only, I'm not one of those people! -nh4.
This is very interesting! Porsche knows if they offer a PDK option they will likely sell a lot more gt4s. Manual only "latest rumor" the number of buyers goes down dramatically? Can't wait to drive the gt4!!
Old 01-26-2015, 02:09 PM
nh4
Instructor

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
This is very interesting! Porsche knows if they offer a PDK option they will likely sell a lot more gt4s. Manual only "latest rumor" the number of buyers goes down dramatically? Can't wait to drive the gt4!!
The comments posted earlier that PDK would make the GT4 too quick, and thus allow it to get too close to (or surpass) the 991 C2S, is what makes me think the MT-only rumor could be true. I do believe Porsche is of the mindset that they will not allow the Cayman to tread to high up the 911's performance ladder.

Hopefully the Feb. 4th date that a few have posted is accurate for the release of info to the dealers. As I'm about the get buried under about 2 feet of snow, I ought to be able to pass the time worrying about other things.... Like if my lights and heat will stay on!

-nh4.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:23 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by nh4
The comments posted earlier that PDK would make the GT4 too quick, and thus allow it to get too close to (or surpass) the 991 C2S, is what makes me think the MT-only rumor could be true. I do believe Porsche is of the mindset that they will not allow the Cayman to tread to high up the 911's performance ladder.

Hopefully the Feb. 4th date that a few have posted is accurate for the release of info to the dealers. As I'm about the get buried under about 2 feet of snow, I ought to be able to pass the time worrying about other things.... Like if my lights and heat will stay on!

-nh4.
I truly hope Porsche has put that 911 superiority mentality behind them. I also think that a manual GT4 will be faster around a track as compared to a C2S, but it won't be faster than a GT3.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:05 PM
nh4
Instructor

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I truly hope Porsche has put that 911 superiority mentality behind them. I also think that a manual GT4 will be faster around a track as compared to a C2S, but it won't be faster than a GT3.
In my view the Cayman GT4 should not (and I know for certain it will not) be allowed to trump the 991 GT3 if the GT4 is going to come out with a ~90K USD starting price. I also agree that protecting the C2S from the GT4 is unnecessary since there would likely be limited cross-shop between GT4 and C2S.

I hope I'm wrong, and that the GT4 does come with a PDK option and is not ECU limited to fit into a designated slot in the Porsche-constructed hierarchy of performance.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:11 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I hope manual only and it doesn't sell (at all)

it will be the last manual GT car.....amen

Quick Reply: Upcoming Cayman GT4