Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Upcoming Cayman GT4

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 03:14 AM
sebis
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question, can one install a child car seat in the bucket seat that comes with Cayman GTS and I assume will be available with the GT4?
Old 01-10-2015, 08:31 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by sebis
Question, can one install a child car seat in the bucket seat that comes with Cayman GTS and I assume will be available with the GT4?
Right now the best guess is that the GT4 will have the same seats as the GTS std with the LWBs optional.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:59 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

This is what I remember when ordering my Spyder years ago:
- Sport Seats are compatible with child seats and you would need to option the airbag shut off to keep the airbag from deploying.

- Sport buckets are not compatible with child seats since the combined weight of the child seat and the baby would be eough to turn on the airbags.

- Sport buckets with a booster and child is fine, the combination is light enough to shut off the airbags.

The original sport buckets were slightly higher on the passenger side, some thought it was due to the mechanism required to weigh the passenger (load cells).

Porsche is changing the new Sport Buckets but I'm not sure what the differences are. It's worth investigating if these new versions will allow for a child seat.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:54 PM
sebis
Racer

Originally Posted by ExMB
Right now the best guess is that the GT4 will have the same seats as the GTS std with the LWBs optional.
Originally Posted by Marine Blue
This is what I remember when ordering my Spyder years ago:
- Sport Seats are compatible with child seats and you would need to option the airbag shut off to keep the airbag from deploying.

- Sport buckets are not compatible with child seats since the combined weight of the child seat and the baby would be eough to turn on the airbags.

- Sport buckets with a booster and child is fine, the combination is light enough to shut off the airbags.

The original sport buckets were slightly higher on the passenger side, some thought it was due to the mechanism required to weigh the passenger (load cells).

Porsche is changing the new Sport Buckets but I'm not sure what the differences are. It's worth investigating if these new versions will allow for a child seat.
Thanks guys, I slept over it and I am not sure that a two seater will work for us. I have a 2 year old and maybe the sensible alternative is to stick with the original plan and get a slightly used 991 C2S, kind of funny when the 911 is the sensible, i.e. more practical alternative , and could be even cheaper than a GT4...

@Marine Blue, how was life with a small child and a two seater car in the garage, did you ever feel that you are missing something by not being able to get the whole family to enjoy the ride?

TIA
Old 01-10-2015, 02:00 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Thanks guys, I slept over it and I am not sure that a two seater will work for us. I have a 2 year old and maybe the sensible alternative is to stick with the original plan and get a slightly used 991 C2S, kind of funny when the 911 is the sensible, i.e. more practical alternative , and could be even cheaper than a GT4...

@Marine Blue, how was life with a small child and a two seater car in the garage, did you ever feel that you are missing something by not being able to get the whole family to enjoy the ride?

TIA
Funny you ask.

Prior to the Spyder I had a couple of 928's because it was the sensible thing to do and I loved the car. I can count on one hand how many times I had both kids in the car (never) and how many times my wife joined me (hardly ever). None of them really liked the car.

So I decided that if they aren't coming along with me I'll just get what I have always wanted which is a two seat sports car. Along came the Spyder and now the entire family wants to go for a ride in it!

They love the open top, the sounds....the entire experience really. So they take turns and I get to drive more.

In that span I had a 69 911 Targa and I have to admit the kids loved it but I think it had to do with the open experience and no seat belts. We were limited to driving it in the neighborhood and often I would take the neighbors kids along which again added to the experience. But it was almost like owning a golf cart, slow driving and being extra careful since no safety equipment was in that car. As you can see in my signature, the Spyder remains and the 911 is now gone.

It really comes down to how your family perceives the vehicle and if they enjoy the car hobby as much as you. Good luck with your decision and the good news is you can always sell the 911 and buy the GT4 later but you may not be able to order it the way you want if that matters.
Old 01-10-2015, 04:28 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oops

Last edited by 987720; 01-10-2015 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Human error
Old 01-10-2015, 05:53 PM
steve0827
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 81 Posts

i'm 3rd on the list at my dealer for the gt4. have until the 24th to decide(when my gts passes the freeze point)
Old 01-11-2015, 12:06 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by texasviany
I am #1 on a list but I decided to get a Viper TA 2.0 instead and keep my '12 Spyder. I can check if its transferable. I had to put $2500 down.
Why? What led you down the viper path? My understanding is that dodge can't seem to move them at the moment so discounts can be had.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:51 PM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I drove one on the track and it was faster the sh*t! They recently cut the price 15% and now they are selling much more quickly. I am sure that the Viper will have more quality problems….no…I KNOW it will have more quality problems than a Porsche! We shall see…

This video presented a compelling argument. The '15 will be faster.

Last edited by texasviany; 01-11-2015 at 05:01 PM. Reason: edit
Old 01-11-2015, 11:00 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 312 Posts

If it doesn't come with PDK I wouldn't be interested. A manual tranny would be slower and a step backward. I'm conflicted. I recentl saw a 475Hp 3150 lb '14 GT3 with less than 2k miles for $140k but that price is a stretch for me. What's a good price for this? Would you still rather a 380Hp GT4 for $100+k? $100+ is certainly easier to swing. Comments?
Old 01-11-2015, 11:03 PM
sebis
Racer

Originally Posted by 09RedGTS
If it doesn't come with PDK I wouldn't be interested. A manual tranny would be slower and a step backward. I'm conflicted. I recentl saw a 475Hp 3150 lb '14 GT3 with less than 2k miles for $140k but that price is a stretch for me. What's a good price for this? Would you still rather a 380Hp GT4 for $100+k? $100+ is certainly easier to swing. Comments?
Since I am not a track junkie the manual transmission is a bonus for me and if it was PDK only like the GT3 I would have skipped for sure. Now, if you are getting this for the track maybe the GT3 is the better option for you.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:45 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,729 Likes on 2,346 Posts

Originally Posted by texasviany
I drove one on the track and it was faster the sh*t! They recently cut the price 15% and now they are selling much more quickly. I am sure that the Viper will have more quality problems….no…I KNOW it will have more quality problems than a Porsche! We shall see…

This video presented a compelling argument. The '15 will be faster.

New SRT Viper TA Strikes Back! - Ignition Episode 58 - YouTube
oil strvation. we blew one up
Old 01-12-2015, 12:49 AM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
oil strvation. we blew one up
The car is old school….you need to check the oil! There is no idiot light on the dash. Its well documented that they burn oil for the first 3k miles (forged components). The oil pan is narrow…so a small drop on the stick = 2 quarts. I am putting an accusump on it as a safety measure. After the break in, no problems.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:51 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

anywhere i can find proper technicals on this?

and 15% off msrp? is this a special for you or can I walk in and get one with 15% discount
Old 01-12-2015, 09:17 AM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by khooni
anywhere i can find proper technicals on this?

and 15% off msrp? is this a special for you or can I walk in and get one with 15% discount
Yes a new MSRP. You can probably pick up a leftover '14 for less than that in the US. They even gave the people who bought a car before the discount a voucher for $15k to use in future years.

They just took "paint to sample" to another level. You can choose 1 of 8000 colors and no one else gets that color that year. It’s a 1of1 program. They also make a die cast model that matches your paint color. Its nuts.

Quick Reply: Upcoming Cayman GT4