718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 05:11 AM
works_team
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Just placed an order

Hi everyone,

First post on Rennlist but I have been reading a lot of this post for the past year or so and have learned quite a bit in the process (including the concept of patience ). Thanks very much to all who contributed, that was helpful!

The reason of this post is that I have just signed a purchase contract for a new 718 GT4 with my local dealer (yay!) and wanted to share a few specifics in case that may help some of you in your decisions. Before doing so, I would just add that I have been asked by the dealer to be discreet about the option/order process "because there is a lot of interest on this car" (or so they say). There are therefore a couple things I will not be able to discuss.

Here is what I can share (some of that comes from the dealer, not me, so a pinch of salt may be necessary here and there although I have no reason to doubt him):

- Porsche fan since... well, forever, but have only become a Porsche driver fairly recently. I live in a country which is not that far from Germany.

- Second person to sign a contract for the 718 GT4 with this dealer, others were expected shortly afterwards. All of those called said "yes", according to the dealer.

- Many options were signed, including as far as 2-3 years ago, most expected to be taken. That includes people who could not get a 981 GT4.

- They do not know the exact number of cars they will get from Porsche yet. While the model has been said not to be limited in production, the dealer views this as "the usual game of cat and mouse between Porsche and buyers", i.e. that Porsche will produce just the right number of cars in order for residual values to stay high (which I suppose a question of brand prestige).

- Dealer is "prevented by Porsche" to deliver cars before around mid-November. I chose a 1st quarter 2020 delivery, might have been able to push for earlier but did not try (difficult to resist though!) as I do not expect to drive a lot in winter conditions (with ice, salty roads, etc.)

- Car will be used for a mix of weekend drives and trackdays (which I want to get into). It will not stay in the garage endlessly.

- Dealer experienced people buying exclusive cars (e.g. GT2RS) and flipping them 2 days afterwards to an independent car dealer for a profit. These guys are now on the watch.

- I am paying MSRP (could not do less, could not do more) and have to make a down payment of a bit less than 10% of the total price.

Best,

works_team
Old 07-01-2019, 03:58 PM
propulc
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Ferdinand
Just spoke to my SM who had returned from a PNA national event in Utah.
  • 718 GT4 / Spyder will be over a 3-yr model run.
  • Will not be limited, whoever wants one should be able to get one.
  • Given where production is set to be, no PTS is expected for lifetime of model.
  • PDK will be available later on in the life cycle.
  • GT4 RS remains unconfirmed.
  • Had not heard of a 25yr Boxster special edition
  • Thinks (personal opinion) this engine will be the basis for the new 992 Turbo (4.0TT)

No PTS ?
Old 07-01-2019, 04:38 PM
gt3rs.
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by propulc

No PTS ?
It is probably depend who you are !
Old 07-01-2019, 04:38 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by propulc

No PTS ?
Nice!

they'd sell a lot more 718 Spyders and 718 GT4s if they would make Lizard Green a "free color" like red/white/black and yellow
The following users liked this post:
propulc (07-02-2019)
Old 07-01-2019, 04:55 PM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by JSF101
Nice!

they'd sell a lot more 718 Spyders and 718 GT4s if they would make Lizard Green a "free color" like red/white/black and yellow
Or just offer it at all. The color selection right now is horrible
Old 07-01-2019, 05:16 PM
soupy
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 23 Posts

Aren't 718s now built in Stuttgart alongside 911s? Should be no reason why they couldn't offer Lizard Green. It would've been my top choice, but instead I'm picking Miami Blue.

Last edited by soupy; 07-01-2019 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:49 PM
Closertotruth
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You won’t be disappointed with M Blue.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:42 PM
ajw45
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by soupy
Aren't 718s now built in Stuttgart alongside 911s? Should be no reason why they couldn't offer Lizard Green. It would've been my top choice, but instead I'm picking Miami Blue.
718 production moving to Osnabrueck over the summer to make room for more 992 production in Stuttgart.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:16 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,483 Likes on 922 Posts

Originally Posted by ajw45
718 production moving to Osnabrueck over the summer to make room for more 992 production in Stuttgart.
Hmmm...I wonder if this could be the reason some markets have not received their allocations?
Old 07-01-2019, 09:44 PM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

I know this thread is US-centric, but thought I'd add a bit on 718 demand from Australia. Talking with my dealer (a mate) on Saturday, he said his dealership has had only one GT4 order and 2 Spyders. That dealership sold 20 981s and people were clambering for them (inlcuding moi). Could have sold more but that was all they could get. Seems that 718 sales orders are slow. I suspect 13% price rise plus unlimited production plus basically the same car with a new engine (but same power to weight).
The following users liked this post:
cp993 (07-02-2019)
Old 07-01-2019, 09:50 PM
mithiral67
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

Talked to my SA. Still no news on allocations. They are likely going to have the first few pop up above MSRP, tax for those that want to have the first off the boat. The rest they see being right at MSRP, wouldn't let me pre-trade in my car for fear they wouldn't be able to deliver in 9 months to ensure I got the trade in credit.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:14 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,031 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by Warwick Morris
I know this thread is US-centric, but thought I'd add a bit on 718 demand from Australia. Talking with my dealer (a mate) on Saturday, he said his dealership has had only one GT4 order and 2 Spyders. That dealership sold 20 981s and people were clambering for them (inlcuding moi). Could have sold more but that was all they could get. Seems that 718 sales orders are slow. I suspect 13% price rise plus unlimited production plus basically the same car with a new engine (but same power to weight).
Also in OZ, when I put down a deposit a couple of years ago I was around 7th on the list (signed contract with deposit). Moving on, over 30 names on that list including a number of people that have sold their current 981 GT4s. This particular dealer expects to get 10 to 15 slots for the GT4 based on the previous release. If the production run is longer there may be more spaces available but this is entirely dependant on the factory allowing OZ model build slots.

I'm not sure where your dealer is located but the numbers you quote may simply refer to recent orders or new orders and not deposits or alternatively a lot of people decided to go with a GT3.

In OZ the GT market for new models is always oversubscribed e.g. there are ~20 slots for the speedster and ~60 hard money offers on the table.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:39 PM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
Also in OZ, when I put down a deposit a couple of years ago I was around 7th on the list (signed contract with deposit). Moving on, over 30 names on that list including a number of people that have sold their current 981 GT4s. This particular dealer expects to get 10 to 15 slots for the GT4 based on the previous release. If the production run is longer there may be more spaces available but this is entirely dependant on the factory allowing OZ model build slots.

I'm not sure where your dealer is located but the numbers you quote may simply refer to recent orders or new orders and not deposits or alternatively a lot of people decided to go with a GT3.

In OZ the GT market for new models is always oversubscribed e.g. there are ~20 slots for the speedster and ~60 hard money offers on the table.
Mine is a Sydney dealer. The only order they have is from a guy who called on the phone and then paid a deposit. No orders from people with previous expressions of interest. They're happy to take orders for as many as they can get! and no talk about any limits on production for Aussie cars. Simply load up the conigurator and spec your car. My 981 was $232k on the road now mid $260s for same spec which I think is a lot for a Cayman.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:45 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,031 Likes on 653 Posts

^^^ fair enough, looks like a few people will be heading over to NSW . I have to say I dropped out when it became clear PDK was not on offer for the GT4 (as it turns out at least until the end of 2020) which doesn't work for me. I have to drop into my dealer on Friday - I'll see what they have to say, perhaps its changed over the last cpl of weeks.
Old 07-02-2019, 01:37 AM
cp993
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Warwick Morris
Mine is a Sydney dealer. The only order they have is from a guy who called on the phone and then paid a deposit. No orders from people with previous expressions of interest. They're happy to take orders for as many as they can get! and no talk about any limits on production for Aussie cars. Simply load up the configurator and spec your car. My 981 was $232k on the road now mid $260s for same spec which I think is a lot for a Cayman.
Hi Warwick, I just did a similar exercise and specc'd the car exactly as my 981 GT4. I paid $216,800 for that and now it would cost me $258,521. Thats with the new Vic Luxury duty imposed. I did the same thing as soon as the 718 GT4 came up on the Oz configurator and the price prior to the luxury duty was exactly $250K. I have no plans to replace my 981 GT4 with a 718 GT4.

Cheers
Chris

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?