Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2019 | 08:10 AM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MEM82
Any day now I hope....

man the rear is so hideous...looks like the karadashian thing the kids are into.
Old 04-29-2019 | 08:55 AM
Yellow Submarine
Racer

No it doesn't. Street version will have a more curved wing and the bigger rims
Old 04-29-2019 | 09:31 AM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KOTYKB
/\ Doesn't your Android have an Instagram app? I think its time to switch to Apple
It's never time to switch to iOS...

Haven't seen one in Georgia. Maybe I should setup camp outside Porsche HQ. It's gotta be close now. Looking forward to the reveal and this all new, 4.25L, quad turbo, Flat 6 /s

Also, I thought the new diffuser looked good in early shots. Now I don't like it as much. I also don't like the reflectors in the bumper or the 718. The rear is so clean on the 981.

Looking forward to checking one out though.
Old 04-29-2019 | 11:28 AM
Macduff
Instructor

Anyone notice what tires the test mules are running? Really hoping for Dunlop Sport Maxx Race 2's in fitments that will work on the current model.
Old 04-29-2019 | 01:54 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macduff
Anyone notice what tires the test mules are running? Really hoping for Dunlop Sport Maxx Race 2's in fitments that will work on the current model.
My GM said no reveal until fall and deliveries likely 2020. I'm not holding my breath on July/Goodwood (hope he is wrong but whatever...)

Why do you want the Dunlops? I had those on my first GT4 and they were awful in the rain and wore very poorly. I couldn't wait to put on the Michelin Cup2s. Been very happy with Cup2s.
I don't know anyone who liked the Dunlops more - but maybe there's been a change in the tire?

Five12free: As for the rear - I thought the same thing, but seeing the Clubsport in person it really grew on me. Looked better in person than in photos. I know the GT4 street version won't be exactly like the Clubsport
but if it's close I could live with the rear if it has everything else I want. I've learned that photos don't always do a car justice and to hold judgement until seeing it in person. Of course - to each their own.
Old 04-29-2019 | 02:04 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
My GM said no reveal until fall and deliveries likely 2020. I'm not holding my breath on July/Goodwood (hope he is wrong but whatever...)

Why do you want the Dunlops? I had those on my first GT4 and they were awful in the rain and wore very poorly. I couldn't wait to put on the Michelin Cup2s. Been very happy with Cup2s.
I don't know anyone who liked the Dunlops more - but maybe there's been a change in the tire?

Five12free: As for the rear - I thought the same thing, but seeing the Clubsport in person it really grew on me. Looked better in person than in photos. I know the GT4 street version won't be exactly like the Clubsport
but if it's close I could live with the rear if it has everything else I want. I've learned that photos don't always do a car justice and to hold judgement until seeing it in person. Of course - to each their own.
The news is that the new Dunlops are considerably better then the older ones, at least that's the sentiment on the GT3 sub-forum.

I think the front and side profiles of the 718 GT4 are considerably more aggressive then the 981. I like them a lot. However, the rear has too many horizontal things going on in my opinion. The giant wing, Porsche bar, reflectors and associated crease and the diffusor makes it look very wide. It's a criticism I have, just like in the 992. I'm guessing when we see the car in different colors, this will look better. Especially since the diffusor will be a different color. However, in black the whole sum looks very wide.
Old 04-29-2019 | 06:18 PM
9elheven
Addict
Rennlist Member

^^^^ What's wrong with wide? One usually had to pay more for the widebody option... Even Kramer went for the widebody on the Assman episode...
Old 04-29-2019 | 07:32 PM
aualexa2
Rennlist Member

I thought the Dunlop's had the same grip as the cup 2s and they lasted longer. I've since gone to RE-71rs on 19s, but if I went back to 20s, I'd definitely go with Dunlops again.
Old 04-29-2019 | 11:44 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Five12Free
The news is that the new Dunlops are considerably better then the older ones, at least that's the sentiment on the GT3 sub-forum.

I think the front and side profiles of the 718 GT4 are considerably more aggressive then the 981. I like them a lot. However, the rear has too many horizontal things going on in my opinion. The giant wing, Porsche bar, reflectors and associated crease and the diffusor makes it look very wide. It's a criticism I have, just like in the 992. I'm guessing when we see the car in different colors, this will look better. Especially since the diffusor will be a different color. However, in black the whole sum looks very wide.
I don't mind "wide" - in fact I prefer it, but I don't like the "P O R S C H E" logo at all. But there's nothing that can be done other than make it the same as the body color so it blends in (or spend $$$ on body-work and paint and I'm not doing that). I understand what you mean - but the only part about it that bugs me is the "Porsche" crease - and I agree certain colors may minimize it to a degree. I haven't followed the Dunlop developments - it's interesting. Guess I'd research and consider them in the future if it turns out they've made strides. The first set I had were truly awful. Grip was about the same but the wear was pitiful.

Originally Posted by 9elheven
^^^^ What's wrong with wide? One usually had to pay more for the widebody option... Even Kramer went for the widebody on the Assman episode...
hahaaaaa - great reference!

Originally Posted by aualexa2
I thought the Dunlop's had the same grip as the cup 2s and they lasted longer. I've since gone to RE-71rs on 19s, but if I went back to 20s, I'd definitely go with Dunlops again.
I wonder if the tracks we drive could explain some of the differences. I know different track surfaces can be brutal on tires. Maybe that's part of it, also driving style and probably numerous other variables.
Old 04-30-2019 | 05:28 AM
Filoize
Track Day

I got CUP 2s on the GT3 touring, and they are bloody awful under the rain.
Old 04-30-2019 | 09:19 AM
digitalrurouni
Pro

I just hope Porsche has some proper colors for their cars. Their color lineup is incredibly boring. Everywhere I look there's silver and grey Porsches. Can't believe they axed Sapphire Blue out of their lineup.
Old 04-30-2019 | 09:25 AM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

I don't mind "wide" - in fact I prefer it, but I don't like the "P O R S C H E" logo at all. But there's nothing that can be done other than make it the same as the body color so it blends in (or spend $$$ on body-work and paint and I'm not doing that). I understand what you mean - but the only part about it that bugs me is the "Porsche" crease - and I agree certain colors may minimize it to a degree. I haven't followed the Dunlop developments - it's interesting. Guess I'd research and consider them in the future if it turns out they've made strides. The first set I had were truly awful. Grip was about the same but the wear was pitiful.

hahaaaaa - great reference!

I wonder if the tracks we drive could explain some of the differences. I know different track surfaces can be brutal on tires. Maybe that's part of it, also driving style and probably numerous other variables.
i don’t mind wide either, but it has to match. The front looks sleek and aggressive, but the rear wide and bulbous.

I don’t mind the Dunlops performance wise. They are on par with the RE71R for me, but they are far more sensitive to pressures then Re71Rs. If you get them wrong, the fronts get destroyed in a matter of sessions, specifically the center tread blocks. My key complaint. I hear the maxx race 2 fixes this issue.
Old 04-30-2019 | 09:26 AM
Mig9
Intermediate

Originally Posted by digitalrurouni
I just hope Porsche has some proper colors for their cars. Their color lineup is incredibly boring. Everywhere I look there's silver and grey Porsches. Can't believe they axed Sapphire Blue out of their lineup.
They added mamba green though
Old 04-30-2019 | 10:34 AM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Originally Posted by Mig9
They added mamba green though
Nice but still need more variety!!! And let's not even talk about PTS!
Old 04-30-2019 | 10:55 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by digitalrurouni
Nice but still need more variety!!! And let's not even talk about PTS!
New PTS pricing is a joke...but if your car does fall into the PTS window is kind of like forced on you due to the limited availability and uniqueness.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?