Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2018 | 03:04 AM
Viperguy324
Racer

Originally Posted by James88
The firecracker sounds aren't to my liking.
Like a vacuum cleaner with a leak and too much over fueling... sounds horrible
Old 08-31-2018 | 04:13 AM
MilkNCookies
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VLJ
pdk would be the easiest way to make a fun car into a dull and anemic one that appeals to the american masses so they'll probably do it.
I've driven stick all my life, but PDK-S man... it's not really just another automatic gearbox, it's the best dual clutch transmission in the world
On the track, you can completely focus on braking points and trajectory instead of having to take your right hand off the wheel.... which is a thing to not underestimate....
i've recently seen a guy that broke a suspension arm or something at the track while heavy braking and downshifting, his steering wheel went all to the left and the car into a wall, if he had both hands on the wheel he could've controlled it...
Imo also why could someone want a manual? to say "hey i can do heel and toe do you?", too bad that porsche's manual auto blips (yea you can turn sport mode off tho)
also third gear won't fail and perhaps ratios wouldn't be not that mad long?
i guess there is a reason why the clubsport has a PDK instead of a manual or a dogbox....
i really hope there will be PDK option
Old 08-31-2018 | 08:43 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Nobody doubts that PDK is faster than a manual. If your goal is to get the lowest possible lap times then PDK is the best option. That's why it's in the Club Sport and should be in any race car whose series rules allow it.

The reason lots of us want a manual is because we enjoy it.

Your arguments are dumb.
Old 08-31-2018 | 09:39 AM
MilkNCookies
Intermediate

Excuse me if I want performance over “driving experience” and I can’t afford GT3+

IMO manual downsides are: slower shifts, weight transfer during turns, excessively long ratios, money shifts, third gear grenades

pdk downsides: heavier, higher drivetrain hp loss

I don’t know why you have to make drama over gearbox choices, if you are unable to respect my point of view when I say GT4 should be offered with PDK option, you are just dull.
Old 08-31-2018 | 09:44 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by MilkNCookies
Excuse me if I want performance over “driving experience” and I can’t afford GT3+

IMO manual downsides are: slower shifts, weight transfer during turns, excessively long ratios, money shifts, third gear grenades

pdk downsides: heavier, higher drivetrain hp loss

I don’t know why you have to make drama over gearbox choices, if you are unable to respect my point of view when I say GT4 should be offered with PDK option, you are just dull.
You're quite welcome to prefer the PDK. Plenty of people do. It's a brilliant gearbox. I have no issue with that. I replied because of this: "why could someone want a manual? to say "hey i can do heel and toe do you?"

Neither is "better" than the other when you consider the reasons to choose one over the other. It's simply a matter of which you prefer to drive.

If all you care about is performance, you can probably spend less and get a Corvette that will smoke a GT4 on the track.
Old 08-31-2018 | 10:45 AM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Porsche to introduce mandatory CVT transmissions in all its vehicles to put an end to decades long debate.
Old 08-31-2018 | 11:04 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by venom51
Porsche to introduce mandatory CVT transmissions in all its vehicles to put an end to decades long debate.
I imagine we're more likely to go all-electric and do away with gear ratios entirely.
Old 08-31-2018 | 12:14 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I never got my 996TT or 997TT to sound good, despite spending ridiculous amounts of $ trying several different systems.
I frequent a local breakfast place on the weekends where a Turbo S drives by on a regular basis and under a large freeway overpass.
If it has any chance of sounding good, this is the place where the sound should resonate the best. But as the Turbo S drives past,
I cant help but shake my head and think how constipated that engine sounds.

Ugh.
Old 08-31-2018 | 03:41 PM
Autoquest Motorsport
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Viperguy324
Like a vacuum cleaner with a leak and too much over fueling... sounds horrible
No replacement for the flat 6 NA sound, I will not own a turbocharged Porsche haha

Old 08-31-2018 | 03:56 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Goosebumps!
Old 08-31-2018 | 04:08 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
I frequent a local breakfast place on the weekends where a Turbo S drives by on a regular basis and under a large freeway overpass.
If it has any chance of sounding good, this is the place where the sound should resonate the best. But as the Turbo S drives past,
I cant help but shake my head and think how constipated that engine sounds.

Ugh.
True story. I was planning to replace 7TT with 991TT in 2015. Didn't know if I could stomach the now-requisite PDK so I went in to test drive a PDK -- didn't care what kind of 911 it was attached to. My sales guy takes me out in a nice Carrera S and I wound up enjoying the sound of that car so much that I quit looking at Turbos instantly and ordered a GTS.
Old 08-31-2018 | 04:32 PM
getoffmylawn
Intermediate

I hate people that say “why didn’t you get it in a manual” lol. Majority is brainwashed posers trying to prove something. If you want the manual that’s cool and I get it but recognize what the pdk is and respect it. Just remember if it’s a manual only it’s not to make it collectible, it is to handicap the capability of the car. Take rate is so much higher for pdk in Germany a country with the best driving conditions and highest Motorsport interest. And for all you noodles crying about the sound I think all these cars produce good quality sound even 718 base or 911 turbo. Get a little more experience behind them and looking at them before you type such critical judgement.
Old 08-31-2018 | 04:50 PM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by getoffmylawn
I hate people that say “why didn’t you get it in a manual” lol. Majority is brainwashed posers trying to prove something. If you want the manual that’s cool and I get it but recognize what the pdk is and respect it. Just remember if it’s a manual only it’s not to make it collectible, it is to handicap the capability of the car. Take rate is so much higher for pdk in Germany a country with the best driving conditions and highest Motorsport interest. And for all you noodles crying about the sound I think all these cars produce good quality sound even 718 base or 911 turbo. Get a little more experience behind them and looking at them before you type such critical judgement.
I have driven both back to back and for me I still prefer the manual. If I was bombing around the race track looking for those last tenths of a second I'd be in a PDK car. My only complaints about the PDK are related to the place where it simply just isn't as good as a torque converted slush box, which is stop and go traffic, and the mushy paddles. A more positive paddle click and on the race track the PDK is the winner hands down. The manual car just suits my taste better and that's all.

Last edited by venom51; 08-31-2018 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-31-2018 | 04:59 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

I never got my 996TT or 997TT to sound good, despite spending ridiculous amounts of $ trying several different systems.
I was planning to replace 7TT with 991TT in 2015. My sales guy takes me out in a nice Carrera S and I wound up enjoying the sound of that car so much that I quit looking at Turbos instantly and ordered a GTS.
And for all you noodles crying about the sound I think all these cars produce good quality sound even 718 base or 911 turbo. Get a little more experience behind them and looking at them before you type such critical judgement.
Sounds reasonable. How many more years do I need to own 911 Turbos before I have enough "little more experience" to judge whether I like the sound of them or not? Please respond ASAP as I'd like to get one on order before the holiday. Thought I didn't like the sound but I guess I just haven't given it a fair shake.

So... how long have you been owning and loving the sound of 911 Turbos? Hmmm?

Cheers!
Old 08-31-2018 | 06:08 PM
Gatte
Instructor

Not everyone who buys a GT car would buy it with motorsport in mind. Some of us buy it to just take them on some back roads, where being able to change your own gears is much more pleasurable than using a PDK.

As for the handicap part, I am thinking Porsche included the manual in the 911R just to handicap it. They handicapped it so successfully that they realized they needed to include it on the 991.2 GT3 as well because it was not handicapped enough.

The turbos do sound ok but they're not even close to sounding like a NA motor. If you do not have a 718 base, 911 turbo and GT3 all in your garage, you could go to the porsche car configurator and check out the sounds they make back to back. Just do it and you will probably stop making these ludicrous claims.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?