Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018 | 03:07 PM
Autoquest Motorsport
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by d00d
With the 991 isn't 3 more a result of the multi link rear suspension, combined with standard RAS on the GTs?
I'm assuming the MR 981 would be better at it than the RR 991 if both had the same.
John Gaydos has been busy helping make this possible;
https://www.autoquestcars.com/custom-09
Thanks for the kind words : ) That said, I can't take credit on that one haha. Our rear multilink conversion for the GT4 was a joint effort by our owner Gavin Riches and a very experienced Motorsports engineer by the name of Jay O'Connell of OCD (O'Connell Car Development). Jay has an impressive background in F1, Indy, LeMans, IMSA, etc. and is currently consulting for Multimatic and Ford Racing on the Ford GT and Mustang GT4. But despite that insane schedule flying around the world with them, he has still managed to make this happen with us. We now have over a dozen GT4's running them with great success and several upcoming installs. If word down the grapevine is accurate, our kits should also transfer from the current generation to the new 718. Time will tell for certain on that one but it looks promising.

Last edited by Autoquest Motorsport; 08-22-2018 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-22-2018 | 04:11 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Must admit I don't quite understand how people can say the 718 is totally different to the 981 considering almost every panel of any significance is the same. Hood - same, front guards - same, doors - same, roof - same, windows - same, rear guards - same, etc. The front and rear fascia's and badging are different but not much else.
Most people would be hard pressed to pick the difference.
Old 08-22-2018 | 05:00 PM
MEM82
Burning Brakes

Chris do you have any word when the gt4 is being released?
Old 08-22-2018 | 05:10 PM
s2kmunop
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, as I think different people will see different things. I'd love a 981 GT4, but I'd have zero interest in the 718 GT4. I think Porsche has ruined the aesthetic of the Cayman platform with the styling changes they've made on the 718/982 generation. To me, the 981 looked like a low, lithe Caiman alligator, while the 718 looks like a bulked up American alligator. The sense of slippery-ness has been replaced with that of muscle. But then again, we know what opinions are like.
Originally Posted by Archimedes
Nice cars. I think someone could make a mint selling replacement front bumpers for the 718 that were just a little meanier/sportier. The car has a great profile and I love the more aggressive rear haunches of the 718. Just wish the front bumper were a little more aggressive. Still great looking cars.

Obviously looks are subjective. I personally love the looks of both the 981 GT4 and 718 GT4. I always felt the 981 GT4 rear end was not aggressive enough for the rest of the body though. I think the 718 fixes that. I do much prefer the 981 exhaust placement and the interior vents, but what can you do. What makes me laugh is anyone calling the 981 GT4 beautiful but then the 718 GT4 ugly. I'm going to guess those same people think a beautiful girl is ugly as soon as she has a ponytail and glasses. .
Old 08-22-2018 | 05:22 PM
whojoemama
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
No they can't, not if they didn't get in line in time. The current model allows me to get a GT-whatever as soon as I want one, no matter when I decide I want one, as long as I'm willing to pay market price for it at that time. Others, who may not be willing to pay market price, may wish to subject themselves to the dis-organized, unofficial, no-money-to-secure-your-place, mysterious dealer "list" system, the possible (likely?) results of which we see in this and many other threads detailing people who were on the list and didn't get a car. So the overall system is great -- those who want to take their chances with a "promise" of a place on the list and a car at MSRP can do so and just might get exactly that, and those who want a car, and are willing to pay actual market, can do just that.

It's the same way I buy concert tickets. I'm glad scalpers exist. I think of them as my agents who invest the time and capital to buy my seats for me and hold them till I'm in the mood to actually buy them myself. They perform a great service, including risking buying the tickets and holding them for 3 months. If I do that myself and then decide the day of the concert that I don't want to go, I'm stuck with tickets I don't want.

At an earlier time in my young life I was one of those agents. Now I'm doing my small part to support them. I like the system.

^^ +1 for me, at least for concert tickets. I'd like to keep this a secret from my dealer, though.
Old 08-22-2018 | 07:43 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MEM82
Chris do you have any word when the gt4 is being released?
the only info I have is that it is still not on any dealers forecast sheets for production. As a result, I personally do not think it will be available until sometime next year after Porsche have worked through their WLTP production issues.
Old 08-22-2018 | 07:49 PM
sigar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris3963
Most people would be hard pressed to pick the difference.
I own a 981 GT4 and I can barely see the difference. And I only see it because it's been pointed out to me.

Old 08-22-2018 | 07:50 PM
KOTYKB
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Chris3963

the only info I have is that it is still not on any dealers forecast sheets for production. As a result, I personally do not think it will be available until sometime next year after Porsche have worked through their WLTP production issues.
Chris - March Geneva Show Launch with units starting to ship to the US 6 months later and production going on for what 9 months? This means many people won't get their's until 2020?
Old 08-22-2018 | 09:51 PM
GAZZ
Pro

Originally Posted by GrantG
No, a rear engine platform intrinsically has better manners at the limit (assuming equal suspensions), since the high polar moment of inertia means it doesn't want to spin as fast (like a skater with her arms extended). The mid-engine low polar moment is a blessing and a curse. Means it changes directions very rapidly below the limit (blessing) and spins without as much warning or control at or beyond it (curse)...

With the strut rear suspension this issue is exacerbated, but this difference from weight distribution still exists even with a better suspension.
A good driver can feel when the rotation is in progress and hold a 5% slip angle at the limit. A Cayman may move from understeer to 4 wheel slide to oversteer in one corner, but under control during 4 wheel slide it will be faster in a corner than a 911. I cant say you can even do a perfect 4 wheel slide in a 911 on a dry track.
Old 08-22-2018 | 10:01 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GAZZ
A good driver can feel when the rotation is in progress and hold a 5% slip angle at the limit. A Cayman may move from understeer to 4 wheel slide to oversteer in one corner, but under control during 4 wheel slide it will be faster in a corner than a 911. I cant say you can even do a perfect 4 wheel slide in a 911 on a dry track.
Very good points and very true Gazz.
Old 08-23-2018 | 02:25 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Autoquest Motorsport
Thanks for the kind words : ) That said, I can't take credit on that one haha. Our rear multilink conversion for the GT4 was a joint effort by our owner Gavin Riches and a very experienced Motorsports engineer by the name of Jay O'Connell of OCD (O'Connell Car Development). Jay has an impressive background in F1, Indy, LeMans, IMSA, etc. and is currently consulting for Multimatic and Ford Racing on the Ford GT and Mustang GT4. But despite that insane schedule flying around the world with them, he has still managed to make this happen with us. We now have over a dozen GT4's running them with great success and several upcoming installs. If word down the grapevine is accurate, our kits should also transfer from the current generation to the new 718. Time will tell for certain on that one but it looks promising.
very clever!
Old 08-23-2018 | 07:50 AM
JIMMY JAMES
Racer

Originally Posted by KOTYKB
Chris - March Geneva Show Launch with units starting to ship to the US 6 months later and production going on for what 9 months? This means many people won't get their's until 2020?
That would be my guess and if it's right I am a chance to get one. If it arrives earlier I won't have my finances in order in time...it's going to be a stretch either way but I could deal with the pain if I could open my garage and see a GT4 or Spyder sitting there!
Old 08-23-2018 | 11:51 AM
MilkNCookies
Intermediate

Hello guys, so today i wanted to play a bit with Porsche configurator for a Carrera T then i realized they re-allowed 981 GT4 config aswell for some reason.
I decided to look into it and this happened:

i was a bit shocked because base MSRP for 981 gt4 was 89000€, here you can see a 20 thousand euros increase.

I am now wondering if 108'000 it's new 718 gt4 base price, because if so the months i spent stalking this thread had been in vain and i'll never get myself one of these
Old 08-23-2018 | 11:57 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Got to be a bug or error.....I can't see it in my region....and the price jump is pretty significant.
Old 08-23-2018 | 12:10 PM
sigar
Rennlist Member

Porsche ain’t no dummy. All those ADMs paid on the 981 GT4 tells Porsche they should have been charging more. The market had spoken. I can’t see them charging less than $10k more and $20k isn’t unreasonable.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?