Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 04:43 PM
blackholescion
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Gatte
Whoopsy, the one thing that’s really puzzling is the redline on the new GT4.

Is is it really just 7700 ?. The regular Caymans and pretty much everything that Porsche sells now has 7500 as the redline. I really thought that the redline on the next GT4 would at least go up to 8K.

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
I never said 7700. I just said above 7k.

If one bumps the displacement, it's harder to bump the redline too.
Whoopsy, you did say "lucky sevens" as one of your hints earlier which I and many others took to mean 7700. Whether that's the redline on the tach or the actual fuel cut, that remains to be seen.

While I would have loved to see 8000 on the tach or fuel cut, 8000 isn't an appreciable difference from 7800 other than being a larger number. Just because it revs higher, doesn't make it better, especially if it can't hold power all the way there (the 981 GT4 can't hold to redline stock so there's that). To have real noticeable gains you'd need 500+ RPM difference. I really hope that the fuel cut is 7900, but somehow I don't think it will be. It will make the car a bit less special because it has a lower redline than the outgoing car but at the same time, it's still going to be a fantastic car for street/track and hopefully Porsche focuses on the torque and gearing side of things to make up for the lower redline.

The fact is, stroking usually leads to a lower redline because the piston has to travel further, meaning higher revs put more stress on the components because piston speed is now higher. More force has to be overcome for the piston to change direction. Therefore, a lower redline means the piston speed goes down and Porsche can warranty the motor for 5 years. Could they have worked out how to get it to rev to 7900 with that number being fuel cut rather than tach number? Maybe. I suppose that remains to be seen unless Whoopsy can confirm it for us or the car gets unveiled in the mean time.

The 3.8 > 4.0 in the .1 to .2 GT3 maintaining the same red line is one case where it stayed the same (assuming here, the block is similar and the components are different). However, the .1 GT3RS had a 200RPM lower red line than the .1 GT3 due to stroking. Could they have revved the .2 higher? Maybe. Would it have been surprising if the car came out and Porsche set the red line to 8800 or 8600 or even 8500? No.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:51 PM
ajw45
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 170 Posts

I would bet they kept the same-ish redline more so they could use the existing transmission and less because of the stroke bump. 8k+ rpm on the current 3.8 is only a tune away and people have been running more rpms without issue....
Old 05-26-2018, 07:07 PM
Gatte
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never said 7700. I just said above 7k.

If one bumps the displacement, it's harder to bump the redline too.
Really appreciate all the responses and hints. Lot of fun trying to speculate based on your posts. You had said lucky 7s which is why we thought it was 7700.

Above 7K could theoretically mean above 8K as well but you did say lucky 7s and you just mentioned that it’s harder to bump the redline while increasing displacement so it’s gotta be 7 something.

However you did mention that the RS revs to 9K and Porsche usually does not change engines between the GT and RS models so the same engine could probably rev to 8500 RPM (8700 RPM fuel cut) in the base GT4 and 9K RPM in the GT4 RS. That’s also in line with you stating that the GT4 would be getting a detuned GT3 engine before your trip. Also, when you said lucky 7s it was almost a foregone conclusion that the GT4 would rev to 8K at least with 8200 being what was mostly rumored so maybe you were just saying it was 7 instead of 2.

Having just typed all that, it sounds ridiculous and highly unlikely that the GT4 would get such a huge upgrade. Also, the cars at Monza did not sound like they were revving to 8500 rpm.

This is like worms in my head. On bimmerpost, I’m mostly on the other side. This is definitely different. But please keep it coming so this thread stays entertaining.

Last edited by Gatte; 05-26-2018 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:20 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

I had a solid whoopsy sighting this morning. I win!

you guys think that he is talking in riddles because of the CDA, but that’s just how he talks!!!

just kidding - nice talking to you whoopsy.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:26 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,274 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Gatte

Really appreciate all the responses and hints. Lot of fun trying to speculate based on your posts. You had said lucky 7s which is why we thought it was 7700.

Above 7K could theoretically mean above 8K as well but you did say lucky 7s and you just mentioned that it’s harder to bump the redline while increasing displacement so it’s gotta be 7 something.

However you did mention that the RS revs to 9K and Porsche usually does not change engines between the GT and RS models so the same engine could probably rev to 8500 RPM (8700 RPM fuel cut) in the base GT4 and 9K RPM in the GT4 RS. That’s also in line with you stating that the GT4 would be getting a detuned GT3 engine before your trip. Also, when you said lucky 7s it was almost a foregone conclusion that the GT4 would rev to 8K at least with 8200 being what was mostly rumored so maybe you were just saying it was 7 instead of 2.

Having just typed all that, it sounds ridiculous and highly unlikely that the GT4 would get such a huge upgrade. Also, the cars at Monza did not sound like they were revving to 8500 rpm.

This is like worms in my head. On bimmerpost, I’m mostly on the other side. This is definitely different. But please keep it coming so this thread stays entertaining.

The tech on the GT4 I saw had the saw end at 9k tech, so it would means the redline is somewhere about 7k. Can't quite see the actual redline.

The tech on the RS is the same one as the GT3 cause that's that's the tech they used, which ends at 10k. Educated guess means the redline probably is the same as the GT3.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:37 PM
blackholescion
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 107 Posts

The tech on the GT4 I saw had the saw end at 9k tech, so it would means the redline is somewhere about 7k. Can't quite see the actual redline.

The tech on the RS is the same one as the GT3 cause that's that's the tech they used, which ends at 10k. Educated guess means the redline probably is the same as the GT3.
Sounds like lucky sevens was an assumption that, based on the tach you saw, the redline is in the 7-8k range and not necessarily 7700 exactly. Seeing as the tach on the 981 goes to 9k, that would be a safe assumption to make.

Did you get to drive the GT4CS or sit in it? Not sure if you can tell us the redline on that, but it should be the same as the street car.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:05 PM
Gatte
Instructor

Thanks again Whoopsy.

That’s a fair assumption. Really hope it’s 8K or so. But based on what you said, it seems like the 2 cars are getting completely different engines.

Really not gonna ask any more questions but please do drop us something to read and think about every once in a while so the thread doesn’t die or go in the politics/adm/value/resale direction(s).
Old 05-27-2018, 01:18 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 943 Posts

All I want to know now is:
1. When will they debut?
2. How much will they be?

I wonder if the Spyder will be more expensive than the Coupe, similar to the relationship with all 718’s?
Old 05-27-2018, 03:08 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

I think 'lucky 7's' means there will only be 77 GT4RS's made. And 777 GT4's and Spyders.
Only for Porsche friends & family.
Old 05-27-2018, 04:16 PM
ciscostud
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I honestly prefer the side vents on the current GT4 compared to most of the mules. Strangely, some GT4 AND Spyder mules have the old side vents. I hope they make it to the new GT4 AND Spyder. Also, I wonder if the Spyder will be called "Spyder" again or whether it will be a "Spyder GT4" or "GT4 Spyder" since they appear this time to have the same specs. Any thoughts, opinions, or predictions anyone? I am torn as to which I would like better, but I would be more than fine either way. When Whoopsy said "pretty much" on the one or two mules, I hope the pretty much part that could be missing includes the old vents. I rarely post, but I have a deposit and #1 slot for the upcoming Spyder and I plan to sell my current 991.1 Carrera S Cab PDK over it even though the Spyder will be stick. My last car 997.2 was stick, so no big deal. I haven't upgraded since 2013 as I have wanted another naturally aspirated drop top. This is my first shot at it, since 991.1 in a car with more HP.

I have monitored and read the forums on and off since 2010. I rarely post. This thread and the upcoming Spyder slot has me more involved.

Oh, and THANK YOU Whoopsy for all of your posts!!!
Old 05-27-2018, 06:40 PM
Gatte
Instructor

I was thinking about the redline on the upcoming GT4 a little more. All the 981 series cars had a rev counter going up to 9K including the 981 GT4.

All the current 718s and 991s (non GT3, RS) have the rev counter going up to 8K only with a redline of 7500 RPM. However, the new GT4 that Whoopsy saw has a rev counter going up to 9K and not 8K. I would think and kind of hope that they had to do this because they needed some of that extra 1K.

Does that make sense or could it be just that porsche decided to use the old tachometer or something ??

Last edited by Gatte; 05-28-2018 at 02:27 AM.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:14 AM
zorgg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of options are compatible with a '7k+' redline:
- 3.8 l (ex. 997 GTS): 430 hp / 7,800 max engine speed
- 4.0 l (from the current 3.8): a red line at 7,700 rpm is compatible with 420 hp
- 4.0 l (de-tuned GT3 engine): same as above.

This said, to me, it'll be a non-sense for Porsche to have two 4.0 l NA engines, from two different basis, for such limited production numbers. Also: why deriving a 4.0 l from the previous 3.8 l to deliver LESS power? Ok, emission / noise regulations may play a role, but then why not taking the most modern engine to make these changes? Or make a totally new NA engine (unknown capacity), for example based on the 3.0 l turbo one, that will be used afterwards on Porsche hybrid models ?

Now for the price of the next Spyder: Whoopsy was clear; same specs for the GT4 and the Spyder. This will enable Porsche to use the same price positioning for the Spyder as for the rest of the 718 range. Expect a markup of 2-3,000 $ for the Spyder, compared to the GT4. The only thing which is unclear to me is related the chassis / suspension settings: the 981 Spyder was clearly tuned for an open road use (and yes, technically different from the GT4), and the GT4 was more track oriented. Will this be the case for the 718 versions?

To me, the 981 Spyder is one of the best compromises ever made for a road use. I'm not sure a 'soft-top GT' will be something I'm pleased with. I'm using my car on open roads every week, but I'm not necessarily trying to get the best laptime on the Nordschleife !

Last edited by zorgg; 05-28-2018 at 06:10 PM.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:44 AM
Gatte
Instructor

This thread is officially dead.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:17 AM
GAZZ
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

Dealer says expect it next year
Old 05-30-2018, 08:36 AM
JAM2