Notices

Newest spy shots of the Panamera

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 08:20 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 55 Posts

It'll look fine for a sedan once the real thing is shown.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:02 PM
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 150 Likes on 81 Posts

Panamera Disguise Slightly Peeled...
https://rennlist.com/forums/off-topic/364305-panamera-disguise-slightly-peeled.html

To those calling the Panamera prototypes ugly...
https://rennlist.com/forums/off-topic/363718-to-those-calling-the-panamera-prototypes-ugly.html

Last edited by Nicole; 07-12-2007 at 10:28 PM.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:57 PM
pasa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fugly , I hope they can do better than that turd.

Dan 1990 928Gt
Old 07-12-2007, 10:08 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

It's never easy to tell what the car will look like until it finally comes out but for now that design makes me want to fall asleep.

Years ago Porsche's deisgns were truly different and cutting edge. That pretty much ended with the Boxster and 996. Not saying these cars aren't nice looking, they're just not all that different from the other cars available and they're curves and lines are toned way down.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:15 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
It's never easy to tell what the car will look like until it finally comes out but for now that design makes me want to fall asleep.

Years ago Porsche's deisgns were truly different and cutting edge. That pretty much ended with the Boxster and 996. Not saying these cars aren't nice looking, they're just not all that different from the other cars available and they're curves and lines are toned way down.
There is nothing about a 997 that is like "other cars available". The 996/Boxster front end isn't their best effort, but the 997 is spot on with regard to looks.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:20 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
There is nothing about a 997 that is like "other cars available". The 996/Boxster front end isn't their best effort, but the 997 is spot on with regard to looks.

Ed, I'm not arguing that the 997 isn't nice but I guess I'm not grabbed by the design the way I was when I saw an 80's 911, 928 or the mid 90's 993. Those cars were amazing and stood out compared to other cars available at the time. Kind of like the Countach and Testarossa. JMHO
Old 07-12-2007, 10:24 PM
Andre Hedrick
Rest in Peace
Rennlist Member

Look Ma! I'm a 4-door Eclipse.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:10 AM
JKelly
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MGW-Fla
Ok, not sure if this can qualify for posting in the 928 forum as the potential future parent of the two door Panamera("new 928") or if it has to go in OT. Here the link to an AutoWeek article with the latest spy pics.
http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...73286954330402
I'd say it belongs in the front-engined 911 wagon forum. It isn't speaking any 928 language to me. Porsche dropped the 928 in order to continue saturating the world with perpetual morfs of the 911. It's the same old merry-go-round.....again and again. Make a few small design changes, drop the horse power, sell a few, increase the horse power, sell a few, add some turbos, sell a few, play it until it's time to make a another morf, then drop the horse power again and go fishing with a "new" bait.

Anybody ever see the movie Zoolander?
quote: "They're the same face! Doesn't anybody notice this? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills! "
Old 07-13-2007, 02:13 AM
tommytomaso
Burning Brakes

i can see some of the"whats real" in its disguise....like the pop up rear spoiler..that will be cool...i would of like to of seen a lower profile...but lets face it this car is only as good as the sacrifices it makes..tall profile means easy access/egress. and thats important to a sports saloon. i kinda like it for what it is....
.............PORSCHE 4 door SPORTS SALOON now if they just make it in allwheel drive ill put it on my list.

SO whens the PORSCHE MiniVANsport coming out .....my wife would like that!
Old 07-13-2007, 04:28 AM
928ntslow
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

...like the pop up rear spoiler
DANG!..I thought that was a deflector shield!...or sumpthin'
Old 07-13-2007, 04:51 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Man, I was pissed when the Cayenne came out, and now I'm almost equally as pissed. These are not Porsches.

Just as I said when the Quattroporte came out, "there is no such thing as a four-door coupe." I mean, I love progress and automobile evolution, but this is the wrong kind

And yes, I definitely feel that every high-perf sports car tends to look near-identical. Ferrari's, Aston Martins, Vette's, Porsches, etc.

Only Lamborghini seems to have kept its head about it with regards to vehicle individuality...
Old 07-13-2007, 05:34 AM
drnick
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

colin, the quatroportte is a beautiful car - not like this, this is borring. it looks like something audi might make on an adventurous day, but nothing special. im worried that porsche is loosing the plot here.. this could have been so much better, truly a disapointment.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:41 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drnick
colin, the quatroportte is a beautiful car - not like this, this is borring. it looks like something audi might make on an adventurous day, but nothing special. im worried that porsche is loosing the plot here.. this could have been so much better, truly a disapointment.

I completely agree with you, this could be so much better. However, just because it can be done, does not mean it should be done. Leave minivans, SUVs, and sedans to breeds of a lesser nature
Old 07-13-2007, 08:58 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JKelly
Make a few small design changes, drop the horse power, sell a few, increase the horse power, sell a few, add some turbos, sell a few, play it until it's time to make a another morf, then drop the horse power again and go fishing with a "new" bait.
Well, first of all, I've not seen where Porsche has been dropping HP. The 997 S and the 997 GT3 are two potent six-bangers. 415HP in the GT3 which is NA. Not too bad.

As far as the whole strategy of Porsche, it must work. They are in business to make money, after all. And considering that they are the most profitable car maker around, pound for pound, the formula must work. I bought stock in them at $734/share 14 month ago, trading at about $1900 this week. While we have a strong market, not a lot of companies are up 150% in that time, certainly not any American car manufacturers.

They aren't building these cars to impress a bunch of people that are driving cars of theirs that are anywhere between 12 and 29 years old at this point. They need new money to keep going.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:33 AM
Bill Coleman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

For me the proportions are all wrong. It looks like someone tried to turn a 911 into a stretch limo. And whether of not the body panels are disguised isn't going to change that.

Maybe the whole car is a ruse and the real Panamera will look completely different. Not that it matters - I don't see any way I'll ever be able to afford one.

Quick Reply: Newest spy shots of the Panamera