Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

9 Things to Know About European Delivery of Your Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 11:50 AM
JAMilford
Racer

Received 239 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
Yes, it costs the dealer approx $3,000, paid by the dealer as directed by Porsche. However, they are granted an additional allocation to help offset this cost.
I am pretty sure I have read somewhere that PAG no longer charges dealers $3K for ED. They simply get another allocation. Anyone else have any insight?
Old 07-27-2021, 12:34 PM
incursion
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by JAMilford
I am pretty sure I have read somewhere that PAG no longer charges dealers $3K for ED. They simply get another allocation. Anyone else have any insight?
This would be very good to know.
Old 07-30-2021, 02:35 AM
loungedog
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Heading to Leipzig for Third week of September to pick up a GT3. Can’t wait to see the factory and drive the car for three weeks in Europe.
The following users liked this post:
Dubber (10-13-2022)
Old 07-30-2021, 11:09 AM
incursion
Racer

Originally Posted by loungedog
Heading to Leipzig for Third week of September to pick up a GT3. Can’t wait to see the factory and drive the car for three weeks in Europe.
Your date wasn't pushed back? I was originally scheduled for 9/21 but delayed to 10/18 for a GT4.
Old 07-30-2021, 07:34 PM
Belezar
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’m still on track for a Sept 9 pick up. C4S Cab MT. Car is finished. More confirmation docs this week plus a call from the dealer to settle up in the next few weeks.
Old 07-30-2021, 08:12 PM
incursion
Racer

Originally Posted by Belezar
I’m still on track for a Sept 9 pick up. C4S Cab MT. Car is finished. More confirmation docs this week plus a call from the dealer to settle up in the next few weeks.
You're so lucky! I'm worried about weather now that I've been delayed to 10/18.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:44 PM
JAMilford
Racer

I posted a very similar request in the GT3 forum but I am very interested in anyone's thoughts on our first ED for my GT3T and I would honestly appreciate people's opinions. My wife teaches 1st grade and with a little luck, I will be able to align our ED pickup with her spring break in early March. If so, we will have about 10 days max total to explore - likely less given travel time and pick-up "ceremonies" in Zuffenhausen. We have been considering a pick up in Zuffenhausen then driving to Prague and returning via Leipzig to Zuffenhausen for the drop off. (It will be a March ED so snow tires will still be required necessitating a pick-up and drop off in the same location and because I may only ever have one ED, I would really like to do it in Zuffenhausen.) Given the timing, I don't want to plan/count on much "spirited" driving on snow tires in potential bad weather. We have driven through much of Europe in rental cars on prior vacations, but never really been east of Munich/Garmisch. I thought Prague might be interesting and about the right distance for what would likely be 4 or 5 days post pick-up. However, I am not familiar with the roads/drive between Stuttgart and Prague and am not sure of the potential fun/beauty factor, I would welcome any suggestions and comments. Fortunately, I still have plenty of time to plan. Thanks!!
The following users liked this post:
Targa 4S (10-13-2022)
Old 08-02-2021, 09:05 PM
Inigo Montoya
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

I posted a very similar request in the GT3 forum but I am very interested in anyone's thoughts on our first ED for my GT3T and I would honestly appreciate people's opinions. My wife teaches 1st grade and with a little luck, I will be able to align our ED pickup with her spring break in early March. If so, we will have about 10 days max total to explore - likely less given travel time and pick-up "ceremonies" in Zuffenhausen. We have been considering a pick up in Zuffenhausen then driving to Prague and returning via Leipzig to Zuffenhausen for the drop off. (It will be a March ED so snow tires will still be required necessitating a pick-up and drop off in the same location and because I may only ever have one ED, I would really like to do it in Zuffenhausen.) Given the timing, I don't want to plan/count on much "spirited" driving on snow tires in potential bad weather. We have driven through much of Europe in rental cars on prior vacations, but never really been east of Munich/Garmisch. I thought Prague might be interesting and about the right distance for what would likely be 4 or 5 days post pick-up. However, I am not familiar with the roads/drive between Stuttgart and Prague and am not sure of the potential fun/beauty factor, I would welcome any suggestions and comments. Fortunately, I still have plenty of time to plan. Thanks!!
My wife also teaches K and 1st grade when we did our ED in 2011. I also spent 6 months living in Paris and travelled to Switzerland and Germany over the spring break. I didn't do Prague, but it is all beautiful there and beautiful things pop up everywere. I remember just driving from Lucerne to Venice and not expecting anything but off to our left where the sheer rock formations that looked about 150 meters with waterfalls every 75 meters.. Just stunning. For me the toughest part that I didn't plan very well is that I have mechanical empathy and kept to the recommended 1200 mile break-in on my M car which means I didn't hit that until the 13th day of a 14 day trip. On my last full day in Munich, I was at the dealership at 6:30 AM to beg for a break-in service which was oil, gearbox and diff fluids. They did the change and delivered the car to me at 4 pm in Munich rush hour. After decades of dreaming about driving full speed on the autobahn, I had one night left to open it up. I explained my situation to the service people and they all got together and drew lines on a paper map so I could find an open stretch of autobahn. This put me in about two hours of autobahn traffic, as they had warned me, until finally I saw the sign towards Gindolfing that was my ticket to lifelong memories. Traffic parted and I had one full speed run in two weeks there. Yes it was worth it, but I mention that because of what you said about winter tires and taking it easy. I was there in August and it was brutal being on the autobahn having to keep it under 4000 rpm. So this might be a true blessing to enjoy your GT3 without the urge to open it up. With that said, there were some amazing, ultra narrow mountain roads that I was sweating bullets driving on in perfect weather in the middle of august. Not sure how I would feel in icy conditions even on winter tires. My two cents, I would delay until mid june when the wife gets out of school. Yes it will be more crowded but you could stay a little longer and probably enjoy the drive a little more. Best wishes and congratulations on a GT3.
Old 08-03-2021, 05:38 PM
incursion
Racer

Have you driven the Alpine road from Berchtesgaden to Lake Constance? It's pretty nice. I drove it with my wife in May of '19.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:02 PM
incursion
Racer

For those who have been to the Porsche museum in Zuffenhausen, about how much time should I allocate to it? Also, how good are the suggested routes in the European Delivery Travel Guide PDF versus doing your own planning through something like Porsche's ROADs app?
Old 08-06-2021, 10:01 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,412 Likes on 1,785 Posts

U will want a solid 4 hrs for the musem. There is a ton to see. I would see if they have opened up for the engine and plant tour. Those have to be booked well in advance.

U would also highly recommend the mercedes mesum if u r a car guy.

I was there 3 yrs ago on vaca. We just planned our trip using google maps. We put close to 1000mi on the rental in 8 days . When there was traffic we took the country roads. Was hoping to get back in 2022 but thats not looking so good.
Old 08-20-2021, 03:15 PM
JAMilford
Racer

Originally Posted by incursion
Have you driven the Alpine road from Berchtesgaden to Lake Constance? It's pretty nice. I drove it with my wife in May of '19.
Do you think the Alpine road will be fair enough to drive a GT3 in March? Sounds like an interesting drive. Thanks
Old 08-20-2021, 06:26 PM
incursion
Racer

Do you think the Alpine road will be fair enough to drive a GT3 in March? Sounds like an interesting drive. Thanks
I've never been to Germany in March so I'm not sure how snowy the roads will be. We were there at the very end of April/early May. The Eagle's Nest does not open until mid-to-late May because of weather. Unfortunately, we were not able to see it. Make sure to hit Oberjoch Pass if you do the Alpine Road.
Old 08-20-2021, 07:15 PM
Inigo Montoya
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

I have been to Bechtesgaden in early august and it was pleasant but things are different in Austria and Germany. When I landed in Munich on August 1, 2011 I did not pack a single jacket thinking it was August. My first order of business was to go to a store and purchase a lightweight jacket as I was cold. I do not think an alpine pass in March will be that much fun myself. I have driven from Geneva to Crans Montana in mid march and the roads were wet and driveable but probably not ideal for fun.
Old 08-27-2021, 04:29 PM
orca15
Pro

Received 244 Likes on 165 Posts

See you there! I have January delivery on my new Panamera but have decided to let it sit until March to make the most of the trip. It's killing me already, I will be a wreck come February! I plan to pick up in Leipzig (dates not available yet) and drop off in Stuttgart if possible. I've spent a few years in Germany and can't wait to get back on the autobahn.

Tip of the day - Stuttgart allows 8 weeks storage, Leipzig more lenient as they have more room (per PCNA ED guy).

Prague is wonderful, but (especially if you have to many cities) some rural road driving in the Eifel or Black Forest, or similar, with stops in little towns, might be a plus on a "driving" tour. I plan to tour Bavaria and northern Italy this way. As you know, the cities are not the best place for a new Porsche.

Quick Reply: 9 Things to Know About European Delivery of Your Porsche