Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

9 Things to Know About European Delivery of Your Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 02:56 PM
Curated Content Editor
Rennlist Editor

Received 162 Likes on 125 Posts
Default 9 Things to Know About European Delivery of Your Porsche

by Bryan Wood

The following 2 users liked this post by Curated Content Editor:
TacoBuddy (08-25-2023), TikiLou (08-11-2023)
Old 08-18-2016, 04:28 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,140 Likes on 981 Posts

Great slide show and thank you for posting!

I would like to add a few more comments:

1. It is harder to negotiate with your dealer when you mention European Delivery. This is because the dealer has to fork out $3000 to PCNA for each ED car so it cuts into his/her profits. The dealer is compensated with another allocation from PCNA but still it is not the same thing for the dealership. Even if you negotiate a great price and THEN mention European Delivery, most dealerships will back track from that price.

2. Porsche doesn't pay to ship the car back, the buyer does. It's the same $1050 shipping cost that everyone else pays.

3. Don't forget you get a "free lunch" at their VIP restaurant.

4. Museum in Stuttgart is also closed on Monday so if you want to see that, plan accordingly.

5. The track and off-road experience is only available in Leipzig.

It's a blast. I did it in 2013 and I am planning another one next year.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:27 AM
BealeAss
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 96 Posts

FYI the flight discount component listed is not true.
The following users liked this post:
TheGeneral (12-29-2023)
Old 08-22-2016, 12:30 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My experience:
  • Dealer has the option to hold your VAT deposit. My dealer did not require it.
  • They do offer discounts on air with Lufthansa but I found better deals on line.
  • While an international license is not required I have gotten speeding tickets in some former east European countries where they take your drivers license until you pay the ticket. I rather give them my AAA international license to hold.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:57 AM
RickIrons
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt that the insurance is valid in an eastern European country.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:39 AM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RickIrons
Well since their is no more eastern Europe it is actually valid in all the former countries plus valid in Bosnia. I checked since I went through Bosnia coming through Croatia.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:43 AM
RickIrons
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool, that's interesting. Some insurances here exclude certain eastern European countries.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:05 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

I didn't check farther out like Serbia or Russia but it also includes Montenegro. Drove all over Croatia no issue. There is a Porsche dealer in the Capital, Zagreb.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:08 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RickIrons

I have the list from PCNA of countries that the insurance is valid. It is very extensive and includes all EU countries and all European countries including places like Belarus, Serbia, Kosovo and Montenegro. It also incudes Asian countries including Russia and Turkey.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:53 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Great slide show and thank you for posting!

I would like to add a few more comments:

1. It is harder to negotiate with your dealer when you mention European Delivery. This is because the dealer has to fork out $3000 to PCNA for each ED car so it cuts into his/her profits. The dealer is compensated with another allocation from PCNA but still it is not the same thing for the dealership. Even if you negotiate a great price and THEN mention European Delivery, most dealerships will back track from that price.

2. Porsche doesn't pay to ship the car back, the buyer does. It's the same $1050 shipping cost that everyone else pays.

3. Don't forget you get a "free lunch" at their VIP restaurant.

4. Museum in Stuttgart is also closed on Monday so if you want to see that, plan accordingly.

5. The track and off-road experience is only available in Leipzig.

It's a blast. I did it in 2013 and I am planning another one next year.
I have never done a ED with a Porsche but seems like Mercedes is different.

1. You automatically get a 7% off of MSRP but I've heard from forum members that they were able to negotiate for more.

2. Delivery charges are waived, so it's another discount.

3. You get 75 Euros, you get more than just lunch, you can use it to buy wine, and souvenirs.

You can get a free first class upgrade from Lufthansa or get an economy ticket for free, my wife flew at no extra cost.

Mercedes also has packages you can buy at a great price, all 5 star hotels, complimentary breakfast, some comp dinners, really a great deal, unfortunately MB hasn't been anything exciting these days.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ynot:
marius dinu (04-25-2021), mohawk5010 (09-23-2021)
Old 08-25-2016, 07:34 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ynot
I have never done a ED with a Porsche but seems like Mercedes is different.

1. You automatically get a 7% off of MSRP but I've heard from forum members that they were able to negotiate for more.

2. Delivery charges are waived, so it's another discount.

3. You get 75 Euros, you get more than just lunch, you can use it to buy wine, and souvenirs.

You can get a free first class upgrade from Lufthansa or get an economy ticket for free, my wife flew at no extra cost.

Mercedes also has packages you can buy at a great price, all 5 star hotels, complimentary breakfast, some comp dinners, really a great deal, unfortunately MB hasn't been anything exciting these days.

lol. Is that why you own 2 Porsches instead of 2 Mercedes? Yeah....me too. You could not pay me to get a Mercedes or BMW. ED benefits suck for Porsches. It's the worst "financial" deal of any European Delivery. Heck....people used to have to pay for the privilege.

Check out the first 30 seconds of my Stelvio Pass video.....you will understand why Porsche ED rocks!

Old 08-26-2016, 01:42 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
lol. Is that why you own 2 Porsches instead of 2 Mercedes? Yeah....me too. You could not pay me to get a Mercedes or BMW. ED benefits suck for Porsches. It's the worst "financial" deal of any European Delivery. Heck....people used to have to pay for the privilege.

Check out the first 30 seconds of my Stelvio Pass video.....you will understand why Porsche ED rocks!

Stelvio Pass 2014 Porsche 981 - YouTube
Like I said, MB and BMW hasn't build anything exciting the last decade. Only wish Porsche would have the same ED programs as MB or at least like BMW.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:07 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

I did Stelvio this summer with my Boxter Spyder. Great rode!
Old 08-31-2016, 06:08 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Curated Content Editor
by Bryan Wood
Many factual corrections needed:

Intro:

"Your local dealer will take care of all the paperwork"

The customer will still need to sign several documents, provide copies of their passport and driver's license, and make selections on the form regarding the drop off location, insurance/registration lengths, bumper drill/no drill, hotel check in/out, etc...

"and their travel office will even help you book your trip"

PCNA does not have travel office but there is a recommended vendor called Fast Lane Travel that you may be referred to if you want a travel agent familiar with euro deliveries and driving. However, if you want some input on your itinerary plans, PCNA euro delivery is easy to get ahold of via email.

Slide 1.

"and you may need your passport"

You'll definitely need to provide it for scanning or provide a clear photo of it. It can't be expired or expiring before or during your trip. It is necessary to complete the prep work for the delivery.

"Plan on picking the car up at least 12 weeks from the day you are ordering it"

Slots are very limited...definitely plan on much earlier if you are looking at June-October. Especially for Leipzig slots.

Slide 2.

"Book Your Discounted Lufthansa Flight"

This entire section is no longer applicable as the corporate discount expired and was not renewed. Many customer reportedly were able to find better deals on the internet with a little searching. 35% and 30% aren't accurate anyways. It was 15% and 5%.

"Porsche will help you book your flight"

The customer is responsible for booking their own flights but again PCNA euro delivery is very accessible through email if you need an opinion on where to fly into etc... Also, there is an agency PCNA can refer you to for flight booking if you need assistance.

Slide 3.

"Get an International Driving Permit"

You should have this for Austria. Also, you'll need a vignette to drive in Austria and Switzerland. Both are available at gas stations or you can order them in advance online.

Slide 4.

"In Leipzig, you can stay in the Steigenberger Grandhotel Handelshof or the Marriott"

No more Marriott. Just the Steigenberger, which is absolutely fabulous anyways and a great location in the Markt area.

"Porsche will dispatch a shuttle to pick you up at the hotel and take you to the delivery center, as well as pay your cab fare from the airport to the hotel."

Shuttle for Leipzig from the hotel to Porsche. For Stuttgart/Zuffenhausen, you'll get 2 taxi vouchers which you can use at your discretion good anywhere in that area.

Slide 5.

"Enjoy Private Factory and Museum Tours"

The Museum tour (Zuffenhausen/Stuttgart only) is self-guided and not private. Guided tours are available at the front desk if you wish to purchase.

Slide 6.

"Track (or Off-Road) Your Car or Theirs"

Only available in Leipzig of course. You cannot drive your own car on the track or the offroad course. You will drive the closest equivalent to the car you are taking delivery of.

"test out your Cayenne, or one of theirs"

See above. You won't/can't drive your own new car.

"There are also road courses for you to wring out the track performance of a variety of Porsche models."

You'll drive the closest available equivalent model to your delivered car. If you want to drive another model, you would need to purchase one of the driving experiences and do that while you are in town.

Slide 7.

"If you go when there is a threat of winter weather, Porsche will gladly lend you a set of all-season tires to use for up to two weeks"

This is still true in Leipzig. However, in Zuffenhausen winter tires are not available for use at the moment. A new solution is being worked on. If you get winter tires, you'll have to drop the car off back at that factory at the end of your trip.

"or install the maps of Europe in your car's navigation system, though there may be an additional charge."

Euro maps will no longer be compatible with 2017 model PCMs. Hopefully a solution to that will be in place in the future. Loaner GPS units are available of course. Euro maps was a $250 charge for all cars.

Slide 8.

"just drop your car off in Leipzig or Zuffenhausen to be shipped home"

Zuffenhausen is no longer an option. The factory cannot accept drop offs after July 1 2016. PCNA will pay for customers to drop off at Sindelfingen instead (which is equidistant to the Stuttgart airport).

"you have your choice of 15 other drop off locations "

16 now. (Berlin, Bremerhaven, Duisburg, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Munich, Paris, Nice, Geneva, Zurich, Vienna, London, Antwerp, Amsterdam, Madrid, Koper)

"even delivery to your door once it arrives in the USA"

Unless the dealer has arranged that with you PCNA only has your car shipped back to the dealer you ordered it from.

Slide 9.

"Wait 4 to 8 Weeks for Redelivery"

6-10 weeks is what is stated in the documentation provided plus up to 2 additional weeks if you drop off at a remote location (anything other than Sindelfingen or Leipzig).

"get a vacation included in the price."

This is somewhat misleading. Customers have to pay for everything but the complimentary hotel night and the delivery day activities.
The following 4 users liked this post by Accel Junky:
KEPetersen (07-03-2022), matttheboatman (07-11-2021), mohawk5010 (09-23-2021), Tedster (01-08-2023)
Old 09-01-2016, 10:32 AM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Great summary!

You need a vignette (toll sticker) for Slovenia also. In all the countries these are strictly needed if you get on the freeways. I set my GPS to avoid highways in Austria and a result did not purchase one. There is a drop off in Slovenia also.

Quick Reply: 9 Things to Know About European Delivery of Your Porsche