Notices
E/SIM Racing For discussion and info on iRacing, SIMs etc.

Rennlist iRacing thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014 | 02:37 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by pmason
Burkey, seen the new 918 wheel, I was looking at a new shifter and seen the new wheel. Assume you already have the club sport wheel base? I was thinking of upgrading from the GT3 wheel but can't spend the $1000, building the spec miata this winter.
That thing is bad *** tho $1k is a tough nut to swallow
Old 10-19-2014 | 06:55 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Anyone up for a practice tonight? Happy to host one, was thinking 6pm CST.
Old 10-19-2014 | 08:20 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

FYI I did start a session at 6pm CST Watkins Glen
Old 10-20-2014 | 08:47 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

New release out tomorrow.

If I get home at a reasonable hour and the wife lets me, I'll be online and can probably host up. Maybe RUF @ Laguna?
Old 10-21-2014 | 12:47 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

I think i have given up on my iracing career. I just suck even after putting in hours and hours of practice. Sucks i have dump money onto racing sim stuff.
Old 10-21-2014 | 01:24 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by reno808
I think i have given up on my iracing career. I just suck even after putting in hours and hours of practice. Sucks i have dump money onto racing sim stuff.
You need more hours.

I don't want to know how many hours I have into it. But easily into the 1000s. It's not something that comes overnight.
Old 10-21-2014 | 01:31 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Pep talk time!

Do you have fun turning laps in Iracing? Do you like hanging out with us on Wednesday nights? If yes to either of those, then goal accomplished and stick with it. If you don't enjoy it anymore then take a break. We all get frustrated when we don't see as much progress as we want, but trust that you are getting better. I found this image in a photography article and immediately thought about racing.

Old 10-21-2014 | 03:30 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
You need more hours.

I don't want to know how many hours I have into it. But easily into the 1000s. It's not something that comes overnight.
oh damn...... its just super frustrating
Originally Posted by JustinL
Pep talk time!

Do you have fun turning laps in Iracing? Do you like hanging out with us on Wednesday nights? If yes to either of those, then goal accomplished and stick with it. If you don't enjoy it anymore then take a break. We all get frustrated when we don't see as much progress as we want, but trust that you are getting better. I found this image in a photography article and immediately thought about racing.

YES and YES....... I do enjoy; just the level of frustration is very high, because i have been on the track and NEVER created these errors as i do in iRacing. That being said last time i was in Lime Rock i think iRacing helped. i was able to do some impressive laps on my m3, i have to take the 951 there and see what i do.

"Jon Snow though" <-- EPIC LMAO

Thanks guys
Old 10-21-2014 | 03:51 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

oh damn...... its just super frustrating

YES and YES....... I do enjoy; just the level of frustration is very high, because i have been on the track and NEVER created these errors as i do in iRacing. That being said last time i was in Lime Rock i think iRacing helped. i was able to do some impressive laps on my m3, i have to take the 951 there and see what i do.

"Jon Snow though" <-- EPIC LMAO

Thanks guys
It's really easy to over-drive in iRacing (or any sim for that matter) since you don't have all the "inputs" you do in real life (peripheral vision, ***-o-meter, fear of imminent death, etc.)

You kinda have to "pretend" a little when running iRacing but it makes a difference eventually. Try like hell to keep the car on the pavement, no spins, no bumps, no bobbles. That means you're probably going to go really slow at first, and go really slow for a while until you get used to it.

Adding an Oculus Rift helps with the peripheral vision, and running with our league adds a little bit of "fear of death" since we all know each other and don't want to take each other out.

Otherwise - focus on running races that increase your SR. Make SR your primary focus - get it to 4.99 and keep it there as long as possible. The speed will eventually come... but always try to maintain that 4.99.
Old 10-21-2014 | 04:12 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
It's really easy to over-drive in iRacing (or any sim for that matter) since you don't have all the "inputs" you do in real life (peripheral vision, ***-o-meter, fear of imminent death, etc.)

You kinda have to "pretend" a little when running iRacing but it makes a difference eventually. Try like hell to keep the car on the pavement, no spins, no bumps, no bobbles. That means you're probably going to go really slow at first, and go really slow for a while until you get used to it.

Adding an Oculus Rift helps with the peripheral vision, and running with our league adds a little bit of "fear of death" since we all know each other and don't want to take each other out.

Otherwise - focus on running races that increase your SR. Make SR your primary focus - get it to 4.99 and keep it there as long as possible. The speed will eventually come... but always try to maintain that 4.99.
i am going to get on tonight and it give it a go.
Old 10-21-2014 | 10:48 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Updates to the RUF: Joined a hosted session, had to adjust the rear height of any setup I had but handled well when bring it down.
We are going to have to try one race with driver teams :-)

Ruf RT 12R Track

- Updated the ride height sensors to match the FIA measurement locations as closely as possible. Also updated the allowable ride height range to match FIA guidelines for this car. The net result is that dynamic ride heights may be set significantly lower than before. This brings the CG height / track width ratio more in line with the other GT3 cars (previously, it was too high).

- Recalculated the ARB stiffness using information contained in the FIA Homologation Papers (these weren't available when we did initial development on this car). This resulted in significantly stiffer bars than before that are much more in line with the other GT3 cars.

- Rear wing adjustments now have a more noticeable effect on aero drag.

- Update the GT3 cars to equalize green flag range to about 65 minutes on a full tank of fuel.

- Update the GT3 cars to equalize fuel fill times - a full fill should take 40 seconds.

- Changed re-fueling increments from 5 liters to 1 liter.

- Set the minimum fuel level to 5 liters.

- Reduced variability in fuel fill rates.

- Pit crew now waits to change tires until fueling finishes.

- Pit crew now use tire warmers set to 80 deg C. This reflects the fact that tire ovens are permitted for Blancpain Series races (Sprint and Endurance) in 2014.
Old 10-22-2014 | 11:30 AM
JustinL
Drifting

I did a bunch of laps with the Ruf at Spa last night. The old setups need to be overhauled. The ride height needs to be dropped and the rear wing angle lowered to accommodate for the new settings. On the up side, it is easier to drive now and easier to catch the back end, especially in low speed stuff like "La Source". I have a good Spa setup now, but we should do some practice before Watkins to nail down some drive able setups for next week.

I made a team called Rennlist Racers that we can use if we ever want to try running in team events outside of our league. I'm still not 100% clear on how the team stuff works, but it seems interesting. I'm glad it doesn't effect irating and safety rating is scored per driver, so there isn't a big penalty to having a team mate bin it.
Old 10-22-2014 | 11:47 AM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Yes I was on the Glenn last night where someone hosted an open practice, I didn't think about the wing part that might of helped straight line but it was more stable especially through the bus stop I could hit the curbs harder.

Agree, I did accept the team invite you sent out, I was reading the release notes, agree I'm still not 100% sure how the team thing works.
Old 10-22-2014 | 12:08 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

I am interested to see Omni's review of the rift in the current implementation. People on the forum seem upset that there is no head tracking (front and aft), but I never had that before, so I don't care! I *might* have time to yank my rig out of the garage tonight.
Old 10-22-2014 | 12:23 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Should I switch back to standing starts now that the GT3 tires come out of the ovens a bit hotter and the tire model isn't as punishing? We could do a season of rolling starts and see how that goes too.

Quick Reply: Rennlist iRacing thread