Notices
E/SIM Racing For discussion and info on iRacing, SIMs etc.

Rennlist iRacing thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 12:22 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Unless they somehow delay DK2 support (for an extended period) in iRacing... I wouldn't bother investing in triples. Heck, after a few hours of use (to get accustomed to the low resolution), I consider the *DK1* to be superior to triples. DK2 = no contest.

iRacing has been a little bit wishy-washy on when they plan to integrate DK2 support. The strongest rumor has been "the October build" but they are doing a good job of not confirming it. I'm sure it'll come eventually but seeing how it IS a "beta" piece I can see it being low on their priority list of enhancements.

IMO - I'd get on the list for a DK2 now. Suck it up with the single monitor for the time being unless it's not that big of a deal to plunk down a few hundred bucks for monitors that will only be used a short while. Once you experience the Rift you will NOT want to go back to a monitor.

Yep though I've always heard $300-$350 as the expected pricing for CV1.

If the CV1 is the same "leap" from a DK2 as the DK2 is from the DK1... I'd happily pay double.
YUP thanks to you
Old 10-01-2014, 11:59 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

My DK2 just shipped and is supposed to be here Monday. Not sure what to do with it until there is support on iRacing. First world problem.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:17 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator_86_951
My DK2 just shipped and is supposed to be here Monday. Not sure what to do with it until there is support on iRacing. First world problem.
Had mine since July, plenty of stuff to do with it!
Head over to: http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/
and check out the list of demos and games etc. If you are into space/flight sims I highly suggest Eliteangerous.

But more importantly for driving check out Live for Speed:
https://www.lfs.net/

They implemented DK2 perfectly(probably one of the if not THE best implementations to date) and there is a free demo with DK2 support.

If you are in the Project CARS beta it has support, as does RaceRoom Racing Experience.
Assetto Corsa should have DK2 very soon and I am hopeful that iRacing will release something this month.

I CANNOT go back to iRacing (or any other driving game) until it supports DK2. Live for Speed and DK2 have ruined me on driving on a 2D monitor. You'll see what I mean!
The immersion is so great in LFS it convinced me to drop $6000 on a SimXperience full motion rig with rear traction loss. And it will just keep getting better with the consumer and future versions!
(If anyone is looking for an rSeat RS EVO V3 sim seat let me know!)

Last edited by Jenner; 10-02-2014 at 12:19 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-02-2014, 09:17 AM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

Guys, when does the new season start?
Old 10-02-2014, 09:55 AM
tasracer
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jenner
Had mine since July, plenty of stuff to do with it! Head over to: http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/ and check out the list of demos and games etc. If you are into space/flight sims I highly suggest Eliteangerous. But more importantly for driving check out Live for Speed: https://www.lfs.net/ They implemented DK2 perfectly(probably one of the if not THE best implementations to date) and there is a free demo with DK2 support. If you are in the Project CARS beta it has support, as does RaceRoom Racing Experience. Assetto Corsa should have DK2 very soon and I am hopeful that iRacing will release something this month. I CANNOT go back to iRacing (or any other driving game) until it supports DK2. Live for Speed and DK2 have ruined me on driving on a 2D monitor. You'll see what I mean! The immersion is so great in LFS it convinced me to drop $6000 on a SimXperience full motion rig with rear traction loss. And it will just keep getting better with the consumer and future versions! (If anyone is looking for an rSeat RS EVO V3 sim seat let me know!)
I'm looking for the r sear
Old 10-02-2014, 10:19 AM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackdayRSA.
Not for a few more weeks I believe.

In the mean time, if I started hosting practice sessions/races, who would participate? It would be at the normal time either on Sunday or Wednesday (tonight even). Let me know asap and I'll schedule something even if I can't make it.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:30 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Had mine since July, plenty of stuff to do with it!
Head over to: http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/
and check out the list of demos and games etc. If you are into space/flight sims I highly suggest Eliteangerous.

But more importantly for driving check out Live for Speed:
https://www.lfs.net/

They implemented DK2 perfectly(probably one of the if not THE best implementations to date) and there is a free demo with DK2 support.

If you are in the Project CARS beta it has support, as does RaceRoom Racing Experience.
Assetto Corsa should have DK2 very soon and I am hopeful that iRacing will release something this month.

I CANNOT go back to iRacing (or any other driving game) until it supports DK2. Live for Speed and DK2 have ruined me on driving on a 2D monitor. You'll see what I mean!
The immersion is so great in LFS it convinced me to drop $6000 on a SimXperience full motion rig with rear traction loss. And it will just keep getting better with the consumer and future versions!
(If anyone is looking for an rSeat RS EVO V3 sim seat let me know!)
In addition to the suggestions above... this might sound lame... but Euro Truck Simulator 2 also supports DK2 and it's incredibly addictive. http://www.eurotrucksimulator2.com/

As for the simXperience rig - a friend of mine (he was briefly in our league) has one with the traction loss add-on. I took my DK1 over there for an afternoon last winter, and I couldn't go more than 10-15 minutes before feeling queasy. I never feel queasy otherwise with the Rift. So be forewarned.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:48 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
As for the simXperience rig - a friend of mine (he was briefly in our league) has one with the traction loss add-on. I took my DK1 over there for an afternoon last winter, and I couldn't go more than 10-15 minutes before feeling queasy. I never feel queasy otherwise with the Rift. So be forewarned.
Was it the overall motion or just because of the rear traction? Also keep in mind everything can be custom tailored in SimCommander software. So the traction loss or bump sensitivity can be increased or decreased per game, and even per car.

Owning both the DK1 and DK2 you know the DK1 has awful latency, smearing and head tracking compared to your DK2. DK1 motion blur would make me sick in just about anything by turning my head too fast.

I can't see how having the image move exactly with your head in DK2 would make you sick. For me a motion rig with fixed in place screens while you move is not right. More like you are moving around inside of the car, not moving around with the car.

The feeling I'm getting in LFS with DK2 is I have the "presence" of being in a car, and I have great feedback from my wheel but my butt and body are static which feels unnatural. My body is telling me the corresponding motion provided from a motion rig will seal the deal. Just like the Oculus Rift really comes alive in a driving or flight sim where you are naturally in a cockpit and not trying to walk forward using a controller.

Guess I'll find out one way or another in a few weeks when in shows up but I'm looking forward to the consumer version of the Rift bringing an even better more immersive experience in the future so I'm not worried about it.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:13 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackdayRSA.
Here's the schedule for next season:

"Championship of North East USA and Canada"

October 29 - Watkins Glen Boot
November 5 - Mosport
November 12 - NJMP
November 19 - Mid Ohio
November 26 - VIR
December 3 - Montreal
Old 10-02-2014, 12:42 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Was it the overall motion or just because of the rear traction? Also keep in mind everything can be custom tailored in SimCommander software. So the traction loss or bump sensitivity can be increased or decreased per game, and even per car.

Owning both the DK1 and DK2 you know the DK1 has awful latency, smearing and head tracking compared to your DK2. DK1 motion blur would make me sick in just about anything by turning my head too fast.

I can't see how having the image move exactly with your head in DK2 would make you sick. For me a motion rig with fixed in place screens while you move is not right. More like you are moving around inside of the car, not moving around with the car.

The feeling I'm getting in LFS with DK2 is I have the "presence" of being in a car, and I have great feedback from my wheel but my butt and body are static which feels unnatural. My body is telling me the corresponding motion provided from a motion rig will seal the deal. Just like the Oculus Rift really comes alive in a driving or flight sim where you are naturally in a cockpit and not trying to walk forward using a controller.

Guess I'll find out one way or another in a few weeks when in shows up but I'm looking forward to the consumer version of the Rift bringing an even better more immersive experience in the future so I'm not worried about it.
I can't explain it either... and honestly I was totally surprised. I expected it to be the ultimate sim experience! I've never even gotten a HINT of sickness from the DK1 otherwise... but when I ran it with his motion platform, I started to feel the wooziness within a few minutes, and by about ~15 minutes I had to take a break.

Maybe it'll be better with the DK2?
Old 10-03-2014, 12:01 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Have you guys heard of Project cars? http://www.projectcarsgame.com/cars.html

Old 10-05-2014, 02:17 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Does anybody have a decent credible source that can explain when the DK2 support will be available for iRacing? If it is going to be delayed for more than a month of two, I can sell my DK2 and just get trips, and wait for CV1. I have more than enough room in the basement and I really don't want to start racing next season with my single TV. First world problems I realize.

If it counts, this new house has been a hellish experience, including my **** stack flooding in my basement. At least I have the kegerator.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:32 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Got my DK2 this afternoon after they shipped it to my old apartment by accident. So far, it is sort of a big gadget to me. First, I can't get the direct mode to work, and it seems many others have that problem even though it registers as another display on windows. That makes it virtually impossible to use, and I am getting tired of unscrewing the lenses to navigate the computer since you can't see the balance of the screen, which sort of begs the question as to why it is even there in the first place.

Second, I did not realize the transition when moving around the environment was going to be so blurry/bad. Maybe that is an issue with how it is currently setup, but LFS is blurry as ****. Same with the demo screen. How bad was the DK1.

Maybe I am just grumpy because my keg just floated?
Old 10-07-2014, 08:40 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

No idea why you are unscrewing the lenses except for changing between A and B lenses. Opening them up multiple times just invites dust to stick on the screen or the back of the lens and will drive you crazy.

This is a DEVELOPERs kit 2 and the drivers are in beta maybe more like alpha.
It is not "plug and play" for consumer use. You need to have some idea of WTF you are doing in order to set it up and configure it correctly. Go to: http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/
Plenty of your issues have already addressed there and it will help you learn the ropes.

Direct mode is up to the software application to use. When in direct mode it will NOT show as another display in Windows. For now keep it in extended mode as 99% of demos, games etc are running that way.

LFS should not be blurry at all. Nor should the demo screen. It sounds like your Rift is running at 60hz and it needs to be at 75hz refresh rate in order to get low persistence. It sounds like you are seeing what DK1 looked like(all the time). DK2 does not look like this except when low persistence is toggled OFF or the Rift is running at 60hz refresh.

Give it (and yourself!) some time, it's working great in LFS. Once you get 75hz low persistence working then you can supersample to a really high resolution like 2560x1440 or 2880x1620 if your graphcis card can handle it. I also suggest 8xq AA with 8x sparse grid with a LOD offset of -1.5 to get rid of the jaggies in LFS even when supersampling on the Rift.

Email or PM me for specific questions or help getting your Rift set up.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:25 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Did you update to the latest LFS *and* latest firmware?

LFS looked blurry to me until I realized I hadn't completed all the right updates.

Quick Reply: Rennlist iRacing thread