Notices
E/SIM Racing For discussion and info on iRacing, SIMs etc.

Rennlist iRacing thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 12:59 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

If anybody hasn't still gone the triple-monitor route... NewEgg's got a pretty awesome sale going on the same BenQ 24" monitors I have... $119 with the coupon code.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-24014299-L03A

Code: EMCYTZT5686
Old 02-15-2014, 01:06 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by tasracer
Great fun
For all that didn't race
See the links I have posted in last page to get ur screens and wheels setup right
It make a WORLD of difference
After the race my buddy came over to pick me up to go out ( yes drunk posting from a bar)

He does not game or race
He lapped on his first lap in the 2:18 range and commented on how real it felt compared to other time he has tried it
Where are the links?
Old 02-15-2014, 01:12 PM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by George_B
Jack,

Can't wait to hear about your set up, i'm on the fence about buying one myself. Please keep us posted !

George
Will do George. What stinks is I get the chassis on Tuesday, but have to go to the SU game Wednesday, so I will miss this weeks race.

If I get real lucky the computer will get here by Friday.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:41 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 186 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by abqautoxer
This is why I run passworded sessions. Both so we all know each other but also for the privacy. I think its good some of us host open sessions as we get the best of both worlds.
I like hosted open practice sessions, but I generally never race in open hosted. There's not enough consequences to keep people from doing stupid stuff and then leaving. If I'm gonna race with randoms, I'll do it in official sessions where people get there rating punished for bad driving. Rennlist races are the best though, because we are starting to get to know each other and our driving styles. We can also come talk about our races in a good natured way afterwards, which also leads to people being more understanding towards mistakes. If you rip into someone for a mistake, you can be assured that you will get ripped into when you make one.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:50 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Justin, I totally agree, I think this group is great, anyone of us is willing to help someone else. One thing I like about racing PCA Club Racing, most of the people each other out without a second thought.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:52 PM
tasracer
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It kinda morphed into racing

We all did practice sessions together

Then in the last 15 we would do practice starts and run in packs for 2-5 laps

So I figured why not just add a15 min Q and 15 min R at the end of our practices

Like a soccer scrimmage in the last bit of team practice

All my hosted "practices" have been open as I like to get an alien or two in to set the bar as there r not yet stats for the RUF at most tracks

So the "races" ended up being open as well

I don't really consider these races
I use em to test setups and theories( lower tire pressures- went from the lead to third on first lap)

So I like to keep then open

Two hour session with only a few people gets boring
Old 02-15-2014, 02:41 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

I am fine with the open races. I have never been taken out, but I do so by avoiding problems by simply letting an overly aggressive guy go by and 3 laps later they spin. The other issue I see -- even with our group -- is failure to yield a corner when somebody has a good run. I am guilty of that myself. iRacing works much better if you treat it like 1940s F1 where if you get together you might die. Same is true of iRacing because the damage model is essentially death anyways.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:43 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Jim, that is a good deal, I think I paid $159 for my 24in LG monitors.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:58 PM
George_B
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi All,

Am i the only one still running a single 27 inch monitor on a desktop ? And to be honest does having a rig with 3 monitors actually help ? At my age (I'm old) i feel a little silly buying a rig for iracing. As everyone knows i'm pretty slow and don't seem to be improving much with practice. Maybe it's age or maybe it simply a lack of talent. The fact is i really enjoy iracing and this is a great group of guys to run with.

I'm not giving up as long as i'm not a liability to the league. I've only made one big mistake so for at the race at Daytona...... I don't even know exactly what happened to me at Mosport.

Back to my first question, IF i stay with one monitor, should i look for something larger than 27 inches, and could i use a LED TV or would the refresh rate be too slow ?

Thanks for all your help and see you all at Road America.

Last edited by George_B; 02-15-2014 at 03:01 PM. Reason: BAD SPELLING :)
Old 02-15-2014, 03:27 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

3 smaller monitors is better than 1 big one. The 3 monitors gives you a wider field of view, lets you use your peripheral vision. The wider FOV also helps with car control IMO - the wider view gives you a better sense of when the car is starting to rotate.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:27 PM
Indy Rev
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im running a 40"led. I am thinking of going back to tipple monitors, but only because Im going to build a dedicated rig and I already have the monitors.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:35 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Well that was quick, just finished my 3rd MX5 rookie race and at the end of it the promoted me to the D license. I thought they waited until the 24th and evaluated everyone then and if you had iRating of 3 or above you were promoted. Anyway not a rookie any more!!! :-)

I started with 3 monitors, and I don't see how the few fast guys with single monitors do it, I have trained myself to even look in the side monitors looking for apexes and exit points where you could never see those in a single monitor (I'm guessing).
Old 02-15-2014, 04:00 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

If anybody is around I just set up a session at VIR (bored with RA...)

It's a 2 hour all practice session, I'm around for about an hour or so before the garage heats up enough for me to work in it.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:40 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Starting up a session at 4:45pm CST Road America, passward: spyder
Old 02-15-2014, 07:49 PM
carmad
Advanced

Originally Posted by George_B
Hi All,

Am i the only one still running a single 27 inch monitor on a desktop ? And to be honest does having a rig with 3 monitors actually help ? At my age (I'm old) i feel a little silly buying a rig for iracing. As everyone knows i'm pretty slow and don't seem to be improving much with practice. Maybe it's age or maybe it simply a lack of talent. The fact is i really enjoy iracing and this is a great group of guys to run with.

I'm not giving up as long as i'm not a liability to the league. I've only made one big mistake so for at the race at Daytona...... I don't even know exactly what happened to me at Mosport.

Back to my first question, IF i stay with one monitor, should i look for something larger than 27 inches, and could i use a LED TV or would the refresh rate be too slow ?

Thanks for all your help and see you all at Road America.
George, when I first started in iracing I had a single 21" monitor, G25 with pedals attached to my office desk. I was very inconsistent and felt braking using G25 pedals was part of the problem. So, I did the Bodnar uprade on the pedals with a rubber insert, gained me better lap times because I was able to brake more consistently because it had better feel.
Next I went to triple 21" monitors on custom built cockpit and things really started to improve, I could visualize the corners better, see brake points and trackside reference points, was like a different world, lap time continued to fall and consistency became incrementally better.
I then built some CST pedals with a load-cell brake and ditched the G25 pedals, now I could trailbrake, just like a real car, added a Buttkicker continued to improve lap times, in much smaller increments but improvements nonetheless.
The point of all this is equipment and the way you set it up do have a big influence on your performance and your enjoyment of the sim. Some people say equipment doesn't matter, and for a very small number of people (Greger Huttu and other aliens), that maybe true. I found the equipment does make a difference to me and decided it was worth the expenditure and effort, because it was cheaper than 24hrs of Lemons, PCA track days, karting, I still do track days and autocross now and again.
So I say if you can afford it go for it.

Quick Reply: Rennlist iRacing thread