Notices
E/SIM Racing For discussion and info on iRacing, SIMs etc.

Rennlist iRacing thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 08:28 PM
Granger968
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by George_B
Hi All,

Am i the only one still running a single 27 inch monitor on a desktop ? And to be honest does having a rig with 3 monitors actually help ? At my age (I'm old) i feel a little silly buying a rig for iracing. As everyone knows i'm pretty slow and don't seem to be improving much with practice. Maybe it's age or maybe it simply a lack of talent. The fact is i really enjoy iracing and this is a great group of guys to run with.

I'm not giving up as long as i'm not a liability to the league. I've only made one big mistake so for at the race at Daytona...... I don't even know exactly what happened to me at Mosport.

Back to my first question, IF i stay with one monitor, should i look for something larger than 27 inches, and could i use a LED TV or would the refresh rate be too slow ?

Thanks for all your help and see you all at Road America.
I'd actually recommend holding off until the Oculus Rift I released late this year. For $500 (assumed price) you'll get unlimited field of view.

That being said, there's no real guarantee as to how good the final version of the Rift will be, but there is also a chance it would be absolutely awesome!

Not sure screens will make one faster or slower... Practice, practice, practice... And don't worry about wasting time tuning your car until you're at least midfield in terms of lap times with our Wednesday/Sunday crew...
Old 02-15-2014, 09:19 PM
PorscheZen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
If anybody hasn't still gone the triple-monitor route... NewEgg's got a pretty awesome sale going on the same BenQ 24" monitors I have... $119 with the coupon code.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-24014299-L03A

Code: EMCYTZT5686
Is anyone running these monitors? I notice that they don't have Display Port input and I was told you need at least 1 Display Port connection to work with 3 monitors.

Thanks,
Edmund
Old 02-15-2014, 09:37 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Ed, depends on your video card. But no my monitors have DVI, VGA, HDMI connectors, I'm using DVI on all three monitors, but on my video card I have 2 DVI and 2 Display Port connectors, so on one of the monitors I have to use an active Display Port to DVI adaptor (tricks the video card to thing there is a Display Port monitor).
Old 02-15-2014, 09:48 PM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Anyone up for practice/race? I could host one up anytime now.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:58 PM
PorscheZen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pmason
Ed, depends on your video card. But no my monitors have DVI, VGA, HDMI connectors, I'm using DVI on all three monitors, but on my video card I have 2 DVI and 2 Display Port connectors, so on one of the monitors I have to use an active Display Port to DVI adaptor (tricks the video card to thing there is a Display Port monitor).
This really helps. - What video card are you running?

Three 24" monitors for $359.97 shipped is pretty good.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:13 PM
PorscheZen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by abqautoxer
Anyone up for practice/race? I could host one up anytime now.
Spent at the moment. I'd definitely be up for a little more "race" practice tomorrow!

Finally glad I've now combined the iRacing passion with Rennlisters. Love these cars. Felt like I waited a looong time.

I was even campaigning iracing (emails, live events) and porsche racing driver/instructor Hurley Haywood to encourage Porsche to allow it to happen.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:44 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

I have the XFX Radeon HD 7870 Double D 2GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0
Old 02-15-2014, 10:49 PM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

Session is up. It's public, 2 hours.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:57 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

tasracer those setting you posted were good made a difference
Old 02-16-2014, 11:06 AM
George_B
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks, everyone for the input. I think i may go for the 3 monitor route. The rift looks cool but i'd rather wait a while and see if it truly is the answer.

Right now i'm running two GTX 660ti cards in SLI mode, i wonder if that will work with a 3 monitor setup. Don't want to buy a new video card unless i have to. Plus i am leaning towards a Obutto seat. Can't wait to hear Jack's input.

My best time at Road America is 2:11 dead, with an optimal at 209.7. So it seems i just can't get a clean lap. I make at least one mistake each time around. Just have to keep at it.

This morning i went back to basics, and went back to my Watkins Glen set up. I tried 3 or 4 others and didn't make any progress ( and i thought this track would be easier than Mosport ).

Hope to see you all later at practice.

George
Old 02-16-2014, 11:29 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Thanks, everyone for the input. I think i may go for the 3 monitor route. The rift looks cool but i'd rather wait a while and see if it truly is the answer.

Right now i'm running two GTX 660ti cards in SLI mode, i wonder if that will work with a 3 monitor setup. Don't want to buy a new video card unless i have to. Plus i am leaning towards a Obutto seat. Can't wait to hear Jack's input.

My best time at Road America is 2:11 dead, with an optimal at 209.7. So it seems i just can't get a clean lap. I make at least one mistake each time around. Just have to keep at it.

This morning i went back to basics, and went back to my Watkins Glen set up. I tried 3 or 4 others and didn't make any progress ( and i thought this track would be easier than Mosport ).

Hope to see you all later at practice.

George
I just got the 660 ti. You can run a single 660 ti with triple screens 23inch in med settings and get min of 60 fps on every track. So with dual 660ti your can pretty much run med to high settings and get really good fps. BTW i love my obutto seat
Old 02-16-2014, 12:23 PM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

George, yes with the right settings you can easily do triples. You can't quite max out all settings but most you dont need/want to anyway.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:43 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

I have anyways used my single 46 led TV. I am thinking three screens might be worth hand a second or so. I would have three if I had the space, no question.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:05 PM
tasracer
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, everyone for the input. I think i may go for the 3 monitor route. The rift looks cool but i'd rather wait a while and see if it truly is the answer. Right now i'm running two GTX 660ti cards in SLI mode, i wonder if that will work with a 3 monitor setup. Don't want to buy a new video card unless i have to. Plus i am leaning towards a Obutto seat. Can't wait to hear Jack's input. My best time at Road America is 2:11 dead, with an optimal at 209.7. So it seems i just can't get a clean lap. I make at least one mistake each time around. Just have to keep at it. This morning i went back to basics, and went back to my Watkins Glen set up. I tried 3 or 4 others and didn't make any progress ( and i thought this track would be easier than Mosport ). Hope to see you all later at practice. George

Have u gone thru all the wheel setup steps?

Also make sure u r running the correct FOV on ur monitor...

Without u get the wrong information from the sim

U can adapt to an incorrect setup... I was quick for a while when I modded my setups to make it "feel" better... It was just all wrong

Sent from my iPad using Rennlist
Old 02-16-2014, 02:09 PM
tasracer
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by reno808
tasracer those setting you posted were good made a difference

Those r just ballpark

Glad they helped

But to get it spot on u have to run the min wheel force test and the wheel torque test in atlas telemetry

Took me 1.5 hrs first time

5 min the second...it's just a long post to read

Sent from my iPad using Rennlist
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Rennlist iRacing thread