Notices
E/SIM Racing For discussion and info on iRacing, SIMs etc.

Rennlist iRacing thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013 | 08:18 PM
JustinL
Drifting

In case anyone has trouble finding the sessions, they are under League then look for the tab called League sessions.
Old 12-29-2013 | 10:05 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

The reason I dropped out randomly is that my wife came home and turned on a space heater near the PC. POP goes the breaker, and now iracing hangs at the track loading screen. Deleted the tracks and started to download them again, we'll see what happens. For some reason the download rate is CRAWLING.
Old 12-29-2013 | 10:07 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Also I took out my nickname because I didn't realize that showed up in game.
Old 12-29-2013 | 11:50 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Just sent a request to join. #128 please if available.
Old 12-30-2013 | 12:03 AM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mmuller
Just sent a request to join. #128 please if available.
Done.
Old 12-30-2013 | 10:12 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

I just put in my meeting request.
Old 12-30-2013 | 10:32 AM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by reno808
I just put in my meeting request.
You're in!

A tip for all the new guys, take a look at some of the iracing reference material available on the main site. Also, use the relative time box (F3 on your keyboard) whenever you're on track with other racers.
Old 12-30-2013 | 11:04 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HoBoJoe
You're in!

A tip for all the new guys, take a look at some of the iracing reference material available on the main site. Also, use the relative time box (F3 on your keyboard) whenever you're on track with other racers.
Will do.
which of the ruf cars can we use for the league? c-spec, RWD, track
Old 12-30-2013 | 11:34 AM
JustinL
Drifting

Will do.
Still waiting for votes. Right now, it's the c-spec. I can change that though if enough people want the 'Track'. I like both, but find the challenge of the c-spec more appealing. Try them out and tell us which you prefer.
Old 12-30-2013 | 11:45 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Will do.
We're currently using the C-Spec, since it's closest to a real Cup (and there is a chance some folks here might actually own a real Cup so it'll be most familiar to them).

We had an AWESOME session last night... do we know what the total driver count was? Big spread of times and abilities... which IMO means there will be something for everyone, so folks who aren't sure - join in!!! Chances are there will be someone else in the room that will be a close challenge for you, no matter how fast or slow you think you might be.

Having the "nicknames" was interesting, since I've been so used to seeing everyone's real names. I see Joe switched his back. Maybe we do a sort of hybrid - I changed mine to "Jim (OmniGLH)". That way we've got first names, but can also put a name to a screenname.

If I may offer a few tips, since the *last* thing I want is to see people get frustrated: treat this like a REAL CAR. Just like you did when you were a kid, let your imagination go a little. When you first hit the track, do you go *****-out like you would in a real car? Hell no. You warm up, take a few easy laps, let the tires warm up (and YES in iRacing the tires DO start off cold and need to warm up!), let yourself warm up, etc. You wouldn't charge into T1 on L1 at 100% full bore in a real car... so don't do it here.

Justin mentioned this in chat last night: take your time. Even if you're a record holder in real life - you will need to "learn" the sim a bit. Unless you own a Cup or Cup-spec 911 (and even if you DO!), chances are this sim WILL be a little bit different and will take you time to learn how it handles, etc. Work on CONSISTENCY first, just like you would in real life... for those of you who are students, this is probably what your DE instructors tell you (or should be telling you!), for instructors, this is probably what you tell your students (or should be telling your students!) Work on cutting 10 clean laps without an incident first, then work on cutting 10 *consistent* laps next (or ever-increasing speed laps) without an incident, before you go charging hard looking for that personal best lap time.

If you're spinning out every other lap (or worse), then back it down a little (or a lot).

I'll also note that the Cup is not super easy to drive, and definitely handles differently from other cars in the sim. Give yourself extra time to acclimate to the car if you're out running in other cars.
Old 12-30-2013 | 11:47 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Also - I'll throw this out there: go sign up for, and download, the software at TradingPaints.com. It's free and runs in the background, and lets everyone who has created their own custom paint scheme share it with everyone. With this running, anyone who has a custom scheme will be downloaded to your machine so you too will see it. Makes it a little more immersive IMO - some folks have done some pretty cool things (including doing replicas of Grand-Am and ALMS cars. I've already seen the Falken car, the Lizard car, etc.)
Old 12-30-2013 | 11:55 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

One more "also" - thanks again Justin for the setup. I dropped the front tire pressure another 0.5psi, and that seemed to make the front end last longer before giving up. I also started sliding the bias towards the rear. Still kept locking the inside front going into T2 and T5 but it was getting better. I think it still needs more bias and will continue to mess with it when I get back in the sim. But a fantastic set out of the box.
Old 12-30-2013 | 12:03 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
If I may offer a few tips, since the *last* thing I want is to see people get frustrated: treat this like a REAL CAR.
I think this is what holds people back the most. You really have to pretend it's a real car to some extent. The most common mistake I see is overdriving corner entry. This is something most of us have learned not to do in real life, but in the sim it's just so easy to take that extra risk. If your inside wheel is not on the rumble strips or you blow right through the exit, you went in too hot. We all know this in real life, but bringing that to the sim is an imaginative block most, if not all of us struggle with.
Old 12-30-2013 | 12:17 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JustinL
I think this is what holds people back the most. You really have to pretend it's a real car to some extent. The most common mistake I see is overdriving corner entry. This is something most of us have learned not to do in real life, but in the sim it's just so easy to take that extra risk. If your inside wheel is not on the rumble strips or you blow right through the exit, you went in too hot. We all know this in real life, but bringing that to the sim is an imaginative block most, if not all of us struggle with.
Yep. I saw a bit of that last night... guys diving in WAAAAY deep into braking zones, then going straight off, or exiting backwards.

This isn't Gran Turismo or Forza.
Old 12-30-2013 | 12:50 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

So just want some feedback on my line and braking point on the hairpin.
Haven't figured out how to replay back on just one screen. I think Justin had retrorockets or something on his car :-) Tried a few setups, on of Justin's just tried to kill me it was so loose I lost it on most corners, changed after one lap.

Quick Reply: Rennlist iRacing thread