Notices
E/SIM Racing For discussion and info on iRacing, SIMs etc.

Rennlist iRacing thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 12:42 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator_86_951
What are you using to compress the raw? I am still using vdub, which was free way way back when.
nVidia ShadowPlay records it but breaks it up into 2GB chunks, so then I load it into Windows Movie Maker, stitch them together, save it, then upload the completed file to YouTube.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:25 AM
baddogz28
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Sysgen... It's amazing how much I slowed down in the last three laps trying to avoid a big off... Lesson learned, I should have worried more about driving and less about you and the gap would have stayed 2.7s. LOL.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:38 AM
Tony Nguyen
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Tony is definitely faster than me. I figured with his mistake he must've flustered himself a bit because for a few laps there I was right on him... but he eventually walked away.

I was sweatin though... I knew all it'd take is ONE mistake and Phil would've gotten me!

Good race. Looks like bumper cars at the back of the pack at the start though!
Yeah, after my spin you came you were within 1sec behind me for a while. That got me sweating trying to pull away without making another mistake. Was a blast though
Old 02-13-2014, 10:39 AM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JustinL
Charles, you get to wear pink or the "trading paint of shame" next week.
Yeah, I know...

Ok: I'm bad, I know it, you guys all know it. Now, what the hell am I doing wrong? I find it so easy to make mistakes as compared as in real life. Is it me or it's the same for you guys?

I just can't do a lap without making many mistakes. I need some coaching I guess. I will practice at Road America next Sunday. I don't know the track at all. I will need a pace car.

Still, I had fun being on track with all you guys! And I think that you can at least say that I'm watching my mirrors and pulling over quickly (and offline).

c.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:51 AM
Indy Rev
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will be needing the brightest ugliest paint scheme ever after last night. I got caught up early in some stupid incident's, but the clincher was flipping the car all on my own with no-one in sight.
Charles we all make mistakes and sometime the more you try and correct those you find yourself over driving he car to make up for them.
RA is a great track with some long straights that allow you to settle back in if you make a mistake. Ill run with you this weekend if you want.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:04 AM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles A. Toupin
I find it so easy to make mistakes as compared as in real life. Is it me or it's the same for you guys?
A lot of guys with lots of real life seat time struggle without the feedback from their body that they've come to depend on. It just takes time for your brain to adapt to interpreting visual and auditory cues and ignore the fact that there is no physical cue. Once it clicks, like it has for Ted over the last few weeks, you can really start pushing.

First of all though, make sure your hardware is set up as well as it can be to give you the most accurate feedback possible. There's lots of great advice in this thread.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:06 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JustinL
A lot of guys with lots of real life seat time struggle without the feedback from their body that they've come to depend on. It just takes time for your brain to adapt to interpreting visual and auditory cues and ignore the fact that there is no physical cue. Once it clicks, like it has for Ted over the last few weeks, you can really start pushing.
+1

And here's the vid from last night:
Old 02-13-2014, 11:13 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Does the video look choppy to you or is it just my browser?
Old 02-13-2014, 11:47 AM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Working fine for me, thanks Jim.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:04 PM
baddogz28
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah, I know...

Ok: I'm bad, I know it, you guys all know it. Now, what the hell am I doing wrong? I find it so easy to make mistakes as compared as in real life. Is it me or it's the same for you guys?

I just can't do a lap without making many mistakes. I need some coaching I guess. I will practice at Road America next Sunday. I don't know the track at all. I will need a pace car.

Still, I had fun being on track with all you guys! And I think that you can at least say that I'm watching my mirrors and pulling over quickly (and offline).

c.
+1 on hardware/force feedback being set up properly... If it's not, (like mine wasn't before Sebring) it's very difficult to drive with no input from what the car is doing. I can imagine it would be especially difficult to drive that way when you're used to feeling the car through seat of the pants.

As someone who has been prone to a lot of incidents, I can tell you that it does get better. I average .7X incident a lap this season and only had three last night. Another tip is to make sure you have warm tires before you push- or it's gonna be a spinfest. Good rule of thumb that I use is that I have no grip until at least one lap is completed. Keep at it Charles. Nice video by the way.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:19 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Yeah, I know...

c.
It just takes practice. As others have said, you're missing the butt-o-meter from your real car here. You have to learn how to drive with less information coming in.

Take your time. Approach it slowly. If you're spinning everywhere and can't string more than a few laps together... slow down. Just as you need to learn "the car" in the sim, you also have to learn the sim itself and it's nuances. Really, treat it just how you would a real car in real life. You've never driven a RUF Track before in real life, so approach it the same. Start off with nice easy laps and work your way up. Aim for incident free laps first, then aim for consistent laps, THEN start looking for speed.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:51 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the video Jim !! Always fun to watch

Did you change something as compared to the Glen video? At the Glen it was alternating between following the leaders and showing the incidents, in this one it mainly tracks the leaders.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:04 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Lots of great advices here!!! Thanks a lot guys! I will try to follow them.

I have a G27 wheel. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, but maybe, if someone has the same wheel, we could revise the FFB and all the other stuff...

Thanks

c.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:53 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Charles, I'm not able to help with the G27 wheel but I will say getting the FFB working on mine (didn't know how to set it up initially) it was a huge help, you could feel when the car started to slide, in combo with the screen, it have me the cue also to see it on the screen.
There is a thread out on the iRacing forum about setting up all the different kinds of wheels.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:44 PM
Tony Nguyen
Cruisin'

Lots of great advices here!!! Thanks a lot guys! I will try to follow them.

I have a G27 wheel. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, but maybe, if someone has the same wheel, we could revise the FFB and all the other stuff...

Thanks

c.
I have the g27 also. Go under printer and devices>right click the logitech icon and open up its properties. Make sure the wheel setting is set for 900 rotation. Everything else I leave as default. Then I run 15FF on the in-game force feedback setting. to me it feels half decent. Also, every time your computer goes into sleep or shuts down. You must recalibrate the wheel and pedals before playing. At least on mine I do. Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Rennlist iRacing thread