Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

[FAQ] - EV and Hybrid's owner's guide to home charging…

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2024, 12:34 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,952 Likes on 1,924 Posts
Default [FAQ] - EV and Hybrid's owner's guide to home charging…

This keeps coming up - so I thought I'd post this - mostly this is not a FAQ - but rather a collection of "existing" threads that are sometimes superficial or alternately very very deep treatment on the topic of "home charging".

I will preface this with some "advice". Home charging for a hybrid is no different than home charging for a "FULL EV" - and in my opinion there is more Hybrid/EV in your future not less - so in the spirit of let's do this only once, rather than multiple times over and over and over again as you acquire more hybrid/EV vehicles in the future - a little bit of "more than you need right now" so that well positioned for the future means you'll only have to do this "once" rather than incrementally again and again as your needs change with vehicle's with bigger batteries and faster home charging rates.

FACT: all of these EV chargers - called EVSE's (Electrical Vehicle Supply Equipment) are glorified on/off switches - not in fact chargers - they are therefore highly compatible with _ALL_ North American Hybrids/Full-EV's - you do not need to use a Porsche EVSE with a Porsche Hybrid/EV - also your Porsche EVSE should be able to charge your Tesla (but alas it can't but that's a bug not a feature).

All EVSE's for North America can charge all J-1772/NACS EV/Hybrid's - this is by design and required if you think about it - otherwise you wouldn't be able to charge your EV/Hybrid on a public EVSE when away from home. So honestly it doesn't matter which EVSE you're using to charge your Hybrid/EV - all you want is a reliable one that always works.

If you have existing 220V outlet in your garage - upgrade it to a Hubble commercial/industrial quality socket as Porsche and others recommend/require - https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...22530-0001.pdf

if you need to add a 220 circuit for your first EVSE I'd recommend getting as big a one as you can - 30 amp is my minimum recommendation - 50 is "normal" - 60/70/80/100 amps is better (future planning for multiple vehicle's charging overnight).

Your 2024 or later Cayenne comes with an included EVSE from Porsche and a default NEMA 14-50 power supply cable. This EVSE from Porsche will charge your Cayenne at a maximum rate of 9.6 kW on a 50 amp NEMA 14-50/6-50 outlet - that will fully charge your Cayenne Hybrid in about 3.5 hours or less…see photo below for screen shot of "standard equipment" listed on Porsche's North American website

The maximum charge rate of a '24 Cayenne is 11 kW - in North American that requires a 60 amp breaker and a hardwired EVSE (not the plug based mobile one included with the vehicle). There are numerous excellent choices for a wall mounted non-Mobile EVSE - including the excellent Porsche Wall Charger.

Investing in a well provisioned high quality wall mounted EVSE for your home garage is not a one time thing for one vehicle. It will work with _ALL_ your future EV's as well as your current EV and will outlast your vehicle purchase. The included mobile EVSE with the vehicle is good and 100% sufficient for most people's needs, but I prefer and recommend investing in a good fast high performance EVSE for current and future needs. The Taycan, Macan EV (and likely Cayenne EV and 718 EV) all have a maximum charge rate of 11 kW and the Taycan has an optional 19.2 kW maximum charge rate (100 amp breaker required for this).

Excellent EVSE's are $700 or less - and once you've hauled the electrician out and pulled the permits I'd humbly suggest get slightly more than you need setup in your garage so your future is easier and faster and you don't have to do this again.

What are my options?
  • Sufficient - 30 amp circuit - 5.7 kW charge rate - NEMA 14-30/6-30 outlet or hardwired EVSE - only do this if it's way way too expensive to add a 50 amp circuit - I do not recommend this but it will do in a pinch and is better than nothing if that's all your home's existing electrical panel can handle.
  • Normal - 50 amp circuit - 9.6 kW charge rate - NEMA 14-50/6-50 outlet or hardwired EVSE - this is normal and more than sufficient - 80% (or more of home EV charging setups are 50 amp circuits)
  • Extra - 60 amp circuit - 11 kW charge rate - hardwired EVSE only - this is for the enthusiasts and "those that 'know'" - matches max Charge rate of the Cayenne, Taycan, Macan, Tesla, Rivian and other EV's
  • Future Proofing - 70/80/100 amp circuit to a sub-panel - planning "ahead" to when you want to charge multiple EV/Hybrid's overnight with "no fuss" - new circuit to a sub panel in the garage, and your 1st EVSE added tot he sub panel - adding your 2nd/3rd EVSE will not require a permit or even necessarily an electrician's visit cause you've already "added" enough capacity to support multiple EVSE's for charger 2 or more vehicle's overnight
    • 100 amp circuit is required to achieve Taycan's maximum charge rate of 19.2 kW with optional 19.2 kW charger from the factory
below are existing threads that have been well received - I seriously doubt you have any questions or thoughts that are not already covered in these threads - a deep read will answer all your questions and solve the most difficult of insomnia problems. The main message is a Hybrid is a mini-EV - and the charging setup you're installing today can/will also be the charging system for your eventual FULL EV…a little planning an you'll only do this once…

I'm happy to answer questions - but the following threads are quite useful and covers _ALL_ existing questions about Hybrid/EV home charging…start with the threads below and we'll go from there…

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 07-27-2024 at 11:05 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
aggie57 (07-26-2024), imcarnuts (07-28-2024), JSchilberg (07-27-2024), OncPorsche (07-26-2024)
Old 07-26-2024, 12:39 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Recommended EVSE's for home install - you can use the included EVSE from Porsche - either a Prosche Mobile Charger Plug (PMC+) or Porsche Mobile Charger Connect (PMCC) - but those do not have the best reputation from 4 years of usage in Taycan community and as of date of this posting are under recall in North American for thermal overheating issues.

If you choose to eschew the included Porsche EVSE there are numerous high-quality affordable alternatives - and again all will work with your Hybrid/EV to charge them - they are all universal by design…

a partial list of alternative EVSE's are listed below - many of these have been in use by EV owner's for years and well understood, compatible, affordable, and deeply reliable:
  • Tesla Universal Wall Charger - 60 amp max power, NACS/J-1772 compatible - bulit-in adapter, WiFI, OTA updates, app, charging stats, multi-EV shared power load charging support
  • ChargePoint Flex - 70 amp max power, NACS or J-1772 swappable cable, WiFI, OTA updates, app, charging stats
  • WallBox - 60 amps max power - WiFI, OTA updates, app, charging stats
  • Porsche Wall Charger - 100 amps max power - WiFi, OTA updates, app, charging stats
  • Enphase/clipperCreek - 80 amp max power - simple, reliable, bullet proof, no fancy features
  • JuiceBox - great choice, many many people love their juice boxes
  • Autel - works great
  • other's - virtually anything other than the mobile Porsche EVSE's (PMC+/PMCC) are a good/great choice

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 07-27-2024 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-26-2024, 12:50 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

some people have suggested a thread like this should be made sticky…
The following 4 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
JSchilberg (07-27-2024), OncPorsche (07-26-2024), PHX (07-26-2024), Tedster (07-26-2024)
Old 07-26-2024, 01:28 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Question: Can I uses my Tesla Charger to charge my Porsche EV/Hybrid
Answer: Yes you can - just need an Adatper - there are many choices - TeslaTap is a good option

with NACS now a standard many people will be interested in J-1772 to NACS adapters, and vice versa - NACS to J-1772

Adapter link below allows a J-1772 vehicle to use an L1/L2 (not supercharger) Tesla NACS Charger
Amazon Amazon

Adapter link below allows a NACS vehilcle to use a J-1772 L1/L2 EVSE
https://shop.tesla.com/product/sae-j...arging-adapter
Old 07-26-2024, 01:37 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

admin's if we do make this sticky- it should be a "x-forum" - it's a common /idential topic for Taycan, Macan EV, Cayenne, Panamera - and eventually the 718 EV and Cayenne EV
The following users liked this post:
JSchilberg (07-27-2024)
Old 07-26-2024, 01:50 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,656 Likes on 1,386 Posts

Outstanding thread and posts! You rock. 😎
The following 2 users liked this post by Schnave:
daveo4porsche (07-26-2024), JSchilberg (07-27-2024)
Old 07-26-2024, 02:30 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Schnave
Outstanding thread and posts! You rock. 😎
no!!! you rock!
JSchilberg (07-27-2024)
Old 07-26-2024, 05:41 PM
DucatiSPS
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Chargepoint quirk

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
no!!! you rock!

Hey Dave, not sure if this has been covered but thought I would add.

Your recommendation away from the Porsche charger was spot on, and I put a Chargepoint in my CO location. I just got back down to Texas and ripped out the Porsche one and installed another Chargepoint down here.

Here's the quirk: You can only have one Chargepoint Charger per email address. So if you have two of them you have to assign each to a different email address and then log in/log out on the app to control the secondary charger. A bit of a PITA, but still workable.

FWIW - pulled a 3000 pound UHaul trailer back with the 24 Hybrid S the 890 miles from Avon to Colleyville and came in just under 16 mpg. (the old 25 gallon tank would have been welcome on that trip...)
daveo4porsche (07-26-2024)
Old 07-26-2024, 05:45 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DucatiSPS
Hey Dave, not sure if this has been covered but thought I would add.

Your recommendation away from the Porsche charger was spot on, and I put a Chargepoint in my CO location. I just got back down to Texas and ripped out the Porsche one and installed another Chargepoint down here.

Here's the quirk: You can only have one Chargepoint Charger per email address. So if you have two of them you have to assign each to a different email address and then log in/log out on the app to control the secondary charger. A bit of a PITA, but still workable.

FWIW - pulled a 3000 pound UHaul trailer back with the 24 Hybrid S the 890 miles from Avon to Colleyville and came in just under 16 mpg. (the old 25 gallon tank would have been welcome on that trip...)
that is an interesting tid-bit - didn't know chargepoint can't have multiple EVSE's per-account - this is an excellent detail

I'm personally rocking 3 Tesla Universal Wall Chargers configured to share 100 amp breaker (80 amp charging capacity split 3 ways if necessary) -each charger has maximum 48 amp output each one on it's own 60 amp breaker.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 07-26-2024 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-26-2024, 06:36 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,897 Likes on 1,527 Posts

Great thread, well done and kudos for taking the time to put it together. 100% agree this should be a x-forum thread.

BTW, I have had a ChargePoint Flex in our garage for 2 years. It's hardwired on a 50 amp breaker, I charge my Polestar at 40amps and it works great. No issues at all.
daveo4porsche (07-26-2024)
Old 07-26-2024, 09:03 PM
toma nova
Rennlist Member

Received 362 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Great thread, well done and kudos for taking the time to put it together. 100% agree this should be a x-forum thread.

BTW, I have had a ChargePoint Flex in our garage for 2 years. It's hardwired on a 50 amp breaker, I charge my Polestar at 40amps and it works great. No issues at all.
ChargePoint HW on a 60A breaker for our new PS2. I’m the same user name on the PS forum and saw you there as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by toma nova:
aggie57 (07-26-2024), daveo4porsche (07-26-2024)

Quick Reply: [FAQ] - EV and Hybrid's owner's guide to home charging…