Notices
992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newly purchased HRE's on my GT3. Is the back not wide enough?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:04 PM
richiele23
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Newly purchased HRE's on my GT3. Is the back not wide enough?

Hey all,

Wondering if I could get your input on a set of HRE 501's that I recently installed on my GT3 Touring. Absolutely love the look of them, except for how the rear tire is sitting with the fender. I was hoping for more of a wider/aggressive stance. The "gap" and tire being much narrower than the fender is bothering me. Can't do spacers as these are center locks. When I purchased the HRE's, we didn't go over any of the specs as options, is this normal? I am very unfamiliar with aftermarket wheels and set ups. Maybe I am just being picky, but a good amount of $$ and just want the wheels to be exactly to my liking.

Options:
1. Installer said there is room to lower the back a little to close the gap a little. He said the front is maximized on how low it can on stock suspension. Should I drop the back a little?
2. Reach out to HRE and see if theres anything they can do about customizing the wheel?
3. Leave as is

Old Yesterday, 05:55 PM
J Irwan
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

The problem may not just be the wheels alone, but wheels offset and tire width (tire width would contribute to the how sidewall will appear) can help fill up wheel gap.

do you know what is the width of the rim and the width of the tires ? (Also be careful when buying non-Porsche spec. Porsche\911 specific tires has NO-NA1 designation and the run wider. For example: Michelin PS4 NO 305 has the similar thread width as regular Michelin PS4 in 325)

however looking at your picture, i can see the sidewll looks stretched (stretched sidewall look is a product of the rim being too wide for the tire width).

do you also know the offset of the hre wheels (so we can also compared with stock GT3 wheels)

but for now by looking at the picture the tire appears too narrow for the rim.

Last edited by J Irwan; Yesterday at 05:57 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:58 PM
J Irwan
Racer

By the way nice PTS color on the GT3T 👍🏻
Old Yesterday, 06:04 PM
richiele23
Track Day

Thanks man! The tires did cross my mind well, as my friend is running the same wheel size but his side walls look "taller". Here are the specs from the order:
Front 501_992-GT3-PCL-FMR High Offset Profile - 20 x9.5 ET

Rear 501_992-GT3-PCL-FMR Inter. Offset Profile - 21 x12.5 ET

Tires:

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, 255/35-20

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, 315/30-21

Old Yesterday, 06:05 PM
richiele23
Track Day

Originally Posted by J Irwan
The problem may not just be the wheels alone, but wheels offset and tire width (tire width would contribute to the how sidewall will appear) can help fill up wheel gap.

do you know what is the width of the rim and the width of the tires ? (Also be careful when buying non-Porsche spec. Porsche\911 specific tires has NO-NA1 designation and the run wider. For example: Michelin PS4 NO 305 has the similar thread width as regular Michelin PS4 in 325)

however looking at your picture, i can see the sidewll looks stretched (stretched sidewall look is a product of the rim being too wide for the tire width).

do you also know the offset of the hre wheels (so we can also compared with stock GT3 wheels)

but for now by looking at the picture the tire appears too narrow for the rim.
Thanks man! The tires did cross my mind well, as my friend is running the same wheel size but his side walls look "taller". Here are the specs from the order:

Tires:

Old Yesterday, 06:19 PM
J Irwan
Racer

I just looked it up at tirerack.com

looks michelin does not have Porsche spec tire in 255/35/20, 315/30/21 other than michelin cup 2.

if you want regular summer you likely have to with goodyear f1 supersport as this comes in porsche spec.

as i suspect the tire is too narrow
Old Yesterday, 06:28 PM
richiele23
Track Day

Originally Posted by J Irwan
I just looked it up at tirerack.com

looks michelin does not have Porsche spec tire in 255/35/20, 315/30/21 other than michelin cup 2.

if you want regular summer you likely have to with goodyear f1 supersport as this comes in porsche spec.

as i suspect the tire is too narrow
Thanks J! Excuse my ignorance, is there something about the michelin cup 2's that youre suggesting I don't go with them?

When you say "Porsche specs", do you mean the tires that are were on my original wheels?

Would I just hit up a tire shop and tell them I want "porsche" specs on these HRE wheels?
Old Yesterday, 06:33 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 130 Posts

Beautiful color and wheels.
Old Yesterday, 06:34 PM
cptcolo0
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by richiele23

Tires:

You are missing the ET from your order specs. It should say something like:
F: 20"x9.5" ET44, R: 21"x12.5" ET 48

The ET values will help tell us if the rear wheel is in the right spot or not (side to side). Hopefully you didn't get wheels designed for the 911 Turbo S, the Turbo S rear wheels have a higher ET values that would move wheels significantly inward compared to where they would need to be on a GT3. Fronts are the same on both models.
Old Yesterday, 06:38 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 2,059 Likes on 1,155 Posts

[size=16px]Can't get a great guage with just those pics but they do look like the offsets are too high. Where did you buy these? Did they talk you through the offsets? HRE is notorious for just doing one set offset for each model car so it's a little confusing. I wouldn't be happy with this and would talk to whoever you bought it from.

Black olive is so awesome btw. [/size]
Old Yesterday, 06:39 PM
richiele23
Track Day

Originally Posted by cptcolo0
You are missing the ET from your order specs. It should say something like:
F: 20"x9.5" ET44, R: 21"x12.5" ET 48

The ET values will help tell us if the rear wheel is in the right spot or not (side to side). Hopefully you didn't get wheels designed for the 911 Turbo S, the Turbo S rear wheels have a higher ET values that would move wheels significantly inward compared to where they would need to be on a GT3. Fronts are the same on both models.
Ah ok, attached is the ET I saw on the invoice. Front -Diameter: 20 Width: 9.5 ET

Rear-Diameter:

21 Width

12.5 ET: 48
Old Yesterday, 06:41 PM
richiele23
Track Day

Originally Posted by Shogunade
[size=16px]Can't get a great guage with just those pics but they do look like the offsets are too high. Where did you buy these? Did they talk you through the offsets? HRE is notorious for just doing one set offset for each model car so it's a little confusing. I wouldn't be happy with this and would talk to whoever you bought it from.

Black olive is so awesome btw. [/size]
I bought them directly from an HRE rep and they provided/mounted the tires with the wheels. They never talked me through any offsets or any of those options.

Thank! Yeah, the black olive has been awesome to own.
Old Yesterday, 06:47 PM
sk911
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 110 Posts

Tires:

The "ET" number is the offset measurement.

That number looks to be missing in the specs you listed.

I suspect that is where your question should be...what's the offset or ET of the rear wheels.

These are the wheel and tire specs for "stock" 992 GT3's...

Front: 9.5 J x 20 ET 46
Rear: 12 J x 21 ET 45

Front: 255/35 ZR 20 (97Y) XL tires,
Rear: 315/30 ZR 21 (105Y) XL tires.

When measuring wheels the measurement bead to bead is the stamped wheel size. Stock GT3 wheel when measured outside to outside actually have widths of 10.5" front and 13" rear.

The ET or offset is measured from the hub flange to the outside (inside) of wheel. The smaller the ET, the more the wheel is pushed outwards.

Your current rears to me look like non-GT3 offsets

Last edited by sk911; Yesterday at 06:50 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:07 PM
J Irwan
Racer

I bought them directly from an HRE rep and they provided/mounted the tires with the wheels. They never talked me through any offsets or any of those options.

Thank! Yeah, the black olive has been awesome to own.

The issue is not the offset. Let me share my offset recipe book

Without getting too technical the genera rule of thumb: alower offset number for the same car, with the same wheel width (not diameter) means the wheel will be sticking out more/closer to the fender.
The way to calculate offset is pretty simple. An offfset Zero means the mounting pad of the wheels is exactly in the middle of the wheel width.

But in your case let just focused on the stock/oem GT3 wheels offset vs the HRE.

Below is the OEM GT3T wheel with 12" width with an offset of (+45). The mounting pad of the wheels is 107.45mm from the center of the wheel width.
The HRE has a width of 12.5" width with an offset of (+48). Although the offset is higher but the wheel width is also larger, this put the mounting pad of the wheel is 110.75mm from the center of the wheel width.

What this means your new HRE is now closer to the fender by 3.3mm (110.75mm -107.4mm). Appearance wise this should make your new wheel sit more flush to the fender compare to the OEM GT3T wheels.

Your issue with the wheel gap is the tire not the wheel offset/wheel width.

Last edited by J Irwan; Yesterday at 07:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cptcolo0 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 07:23 PM
J Irwan
Racer

Now onto the tires.
Porsche spec tire is most commonly refer to as "N-spec"
Here is the specification from tire rack (refer to the "tread width" row)

The OEM Michelin Cup 2 "N-spec" is 12" wide for 315/30/21.

However the closest Michelin PS4S "non N-spec" would be the MO (Mercedes spec) which is 11.8" wide.

I highly suspect the one installed on your car is the Michelin PS4S AML (Aston Martin spec) whic is 10.8" wide.

If you have the AML spec then your tires is 1.2" narrower than the OEM tires, which explains while it looks pretty stretched.

Quick Reply: Newly purchased HRE's on my GT3. Is the back not wide enough?