All Hybrid Builds have been Delayed until at least January

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 11:54 AM
thecayenneguy
2nd Gear

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thecayenneguy
Hey everyone,

I just picked up my brand new Cayenne Hybrid yesterday and I guess I now understand why the hybrids were delayed for so long. I placed my order in April last year and have been following this thread daily. When I spoke with the sales associate in April, I had two options: purchase a cheaper 2021/22 model hybrid or wait for the new one with a significantly improved range/battery, which was supposed to be released in August - September. Yesterday, after fully charging the battery, I conducted a test drive. Initially, it displayed an 82km range, which was promising, but after about 10 minutes of driving, the range decreased rapidly. In total, you get about a 48km range, which was quite disappointing for me because they advertised a 70-90km range, achievable perhaps only if you're driving downhill continuously. I suspect they were aware of the battery performance issues and delayed the release until the hype from videos and reviews died down, and people moved on to other new cars. I'm curious why no one has conducted a thorough range test using E-Mode only. Range Rover and BMW offer double the range at a lower price.

Another issue is the passenger display. I purchased this feature so we could watch movies on it during road trips. However, you need to set up a Wi-Fi hotspot with your mobile phone to stream because Porsche doesn't want to use its network (likely due to high data costs). But when you create that hotspot, your CarPlay support is disabled. So, you have to choose between watching a movie or using CarPlay. Netflix is not supported. Probably never will.

Aside from these issues, the car is amazing as already discussed here many times, drives well, and I'm excited for our first mountain road trip.

Would I buy it again? I dont think so.
Just a brief update for everyone still waiting for their hybrid. I've been driving the Cayenne for nearly two months now (over 4000km already) and I must revise my earlier impressions. The car is truly outstanding. The driving experience is smooth, the range has significantly improved after some adjustments, and the charging time is ideal.

Here are a few recommendations for those who can still modify their specifications:
  • The passenger display is somewhat useless.
  • Opt for the Sport Exhaust to enjoy a more satisfying sound, even though I mostly use E-Mode. I believe that when spending a substantial amount on an SUV, it should deliver aurally as well.
  • Definitely choose the "SportDesign Bugteil" (apologies, it's a German term) to avoid seeing too much plastic around the vehicle.
  • The Heads Up Display is handy, though I'm not entirely convinced of its value since the car is usually on autopilot, maintaining both speed and distance.
Despite my suggestions, I think it might be wiser to wait another two years and purchase this car at a more substantial discount. Don't get me wrong, I love everything about it.
The wait is worth it.

The following 6 users liked this post by thecayenneguy:
DC1960 (04-24-2024), michaelp (05-13-2024), nkhalidi (04-25-2024), southernpaladin (04-26-2024), Tedster (05-10-2024), X5toCayenne (04-23-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-23-2024, 12:08 PM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 264 Likes on 191 Posts

Just a brief update for everyone still waiting for their hybrid. I've been driving the Cayenne for nearly two months now (over 4000km already) and I must revise my earlier impressions. The car is truly outstanding. The driving experience is smooth, the range has significantly improved after some adjustments, and the charging time is ideal.

Here are a few recommendations for those who can still modify their specifications:
  • Opt for the Sport Exhaust to enjoy a more satisfying sound, even though I mostly use E-Mode. I believe that when spending a substantial amount on an SUV, it should deliver aurally as well.
  • Definitely choose the "SportDesign Bugteil" (apologies, it's a German term) to avoid seeing too much plastic around the vehicle.
  • The Heads Up Display is handy, though I'm not entirely convinced of its value since the car is usually on autopilot, maintaining both speed and distance.
Despite my suggestions, I think it might be wiser to wait another two years and purchase this car at a more substantial discount. Don't get me wrong, I love everything about it.
The wait is worth it.
What a great picture!
Old 04-23-2024, 02:20 PM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 217 Posts

The wait is worth it.
Good to hear - thanks for posting! Now all we need to do is get the final US approval(s).
The following users liked this post:
X5toCayenne (04-23-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 11:49 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 856 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Electric Lizard
Good to hear - thanks for posting! Now all we need to do is get the final US approval(s).
I think final US approvals were issued this week. There is a post about is somewhere and the EPA clearance...I may have saved the posted clearance letter/notice...yes here it is.

As for the passenger display that is old news and very much open sourced comments on the forum already. Everyone I've seen who's commented on them say avoid it as an option for the CarPlay issue and log on lag and connectivity issues...most say better of using your Android tablet or Ipad! As for range we'll see...US demo tested seemed to have pretty decent range I think about 40+ miles when driven aroud Cali y the OutofSpec guy I think it was. Anyway we'll soon see.. my car should dock in its US port this week but still TDY shows June 28th delivery.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Cayenne EPA Cert 2024.pdf (158.6 KB, 44 views)
touringGT3 (04-25-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 12:27 AM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Old 04-24-2024, 12:11 PM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

For those of you (like me) that are have a car on the EMDEN, it will land at the Port of Tuxpan (Vera Cruz) today and then the Port of Freeport, TX on Friday at 6pm. It should be unloaded in about a day from then per the port dispatcher. I've been in contact with CARB and PCNA but they're holding their cards very close to their vest, so I will continue pursuing my other leads.
X5toCayenne (04-24-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 12:48 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 870 Likes on 594 Posts

It will happen when it happens. My car is now on the water and at this point I am excited but I am not waiting with bated breath. If it takes a few extra weeks after what will be a year + from ordering - so be it. In fact at this point - later may be better as i have some summer travels - right after I am supposed to get it. But everyone’s situation is a little different. I am taking PECLA delivery (for fun) and I am getting it half wrapped and that may take a week or so extra as it is..

Patience is a virtue as they say
Old 04-25-2024, 08:36 PM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rodsky
It will happen when it happens. My car is now on the water and at this point I am excited but I am not waiting with bated breath. If it takes a few extra weeks after what will be a year + from ordering - so be it. In fact at this point - later may be better as i have some summer travels - right after I am supposed to get it. But everyone’s situation is a little different. I am taking PECLA delivery (for fun) and I am getting it half wrapped and that may take a week or so extra as it is..

Patience is a virtue as they say
We’re in, but not on, the same boat. However, I have to head back to TX to pick mine up and my travel time for the upcoming months with grandkids at the beach, Mothers’ Day, a national convention for one of Mrs. Lizard’s groups, etc. is at a premium - and I’ve been retired for years! As I told PCNA, any advanced notice I can get would be great. That, and since I used to develop large power plants including obtaining mountains of permits and approvals, it’s kind of fun to follow the process.
mdrobc1213 (04-27-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 09:37 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
I think final US approvals were issued this week. There is a post about is somewhere and the EPA clearance...I may have saved the posted clearance letter/notice...yes here it is.
Wow, that document is quite a find!

Today I learned that my base E-Hybrid arrived at port in Jacksonville. I spoke with the PEC delivery person who said they are still waiting on clearance. Fingers crossed this can occur sooner rater than later!
Old 04-25-2024, 10:49 PM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nkhalidi
Wow, that document is quite a find!

Today I learned that my base E-Hybrid arrived at port in Jacksonville. I spoke with the PEC delivery person who said they are still waiting on clearance. Fingers crossed this can occur sooner rater than later!
EPA approval was obtained about a week ago (the document is attached to the below thread):

The EPA issued their Certificate of Compliance for Cayenne Hybrids on Tuesday. I’m trying to determine if that’s all that’s needed from EPA and where CARB is in the process.

On edit: My contact at the EPA confirms that "the issuance of the certificate completes EPA's involvement". I have contacted CARB and may check with a contact at PCNA permitting.
We need a CARB New Vehicle and Engine Certification Exec Order of compliance. That process is a bit more opaque.
Old 04-27-2024, 02:09 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

EPA approval was obtained about a week ago (the document is attached to the below thread):

We need a CARB New Vehicle and Engine Certification Exec Order of compliance. That process is a bit more opaque.
Ah yes the infamous CARB certification....been there and have that T shirt. It usually occurs after EPA is done and is California's compliance and certification entity. CARB is what I believe got VW, Mercedes, and the other European diesels in trouble in 2015 and ended up with their total ban and being pulled from the US market. CARB can be short and other times a bit longer in doing. For my 2021 Carrera S it was a 1 mo hold after EPA granted their ok before CARB did so...got my car day after Thanksgiving after it had arrived in mid Oct. With my 2015 Cayenne diesel for my wife it was held in Houston at port and shipped back somewhere due to CARB in particular so do NOT care to repeat that experience again. However the prior model already cleared gives me faith and hope!

Still the wait is the wait...still showing end of June 2024 for my car which is now sitting in JAX beside or behind yours probably and a few other RLs! At least its closer at hand than 4000km in Emden or the factory. Hope they got the right chipset in them too....

Last edited by mdrobc1213; 04-27-2024 at 02:12 AM.
Old 05-10-2024, 11:20 AM
PoscheNewb
Track Day

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Our Cayenne Base arrived in Baltimore on 4/18 and waiting for release. This thread was so insightful and it was like reliving my past 13 months in play-by-play. Look forward to seeing posts about everyone getting their Cayenne's and posting their delivery pictures!!!

While waiting on my wife's Cayenne E-hybrid, I got the EV Bug so traded in my M3 G80 Competition for Taycan GTS Sport Turismo. Only con is low range but all-else, I am very happy!
Old 05-16-2024, 03:27 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Got a call from my SA today and they were told to start contacting buyers to expect delivery of vehicles to dealerships and get tentative dates for pickup. My SA said he “expects” my car maybe as early as end of May if an earlier release occurs. My TYD still show 28 Jun 2024 but will see how it goes but maybe by 1st week of June as he thinks Porsche may release vehicles going to non-CARB states earlier than the 28 Jun 2024 date previously given.

Last edited by mdrobc1213; 05-16-2024 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-16-2024, 04:06 PM
PoscheNewb
Track Day

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Got a call from my SA today and they were told to start contacting buyers to expect delivery of vehicles to dealerships and get tentative dates for pickup. My SA said he “expects” my car maybe as early as end of May if an earlier release occurs. My TYD still show 28 Jun 2024 but will see how it goes but maybe by 1st week of June as he thinks Porsche may release non-CARB cleared vehicles earlier than the 28 Jun 2024 date previously given.
I literally just got an update on my Porsche app that there is an update to my TYD which would be being released to my local dealer. Being about 45 minutes from the port, I’m hoping we can take delivery next week (after PPF, ceramic coating, and tint being done)!!! The wait is almost over everyone!!!
Old 05-16-2024, 05:48 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 870 Likes on 594 Posts

Mine is still on the boat off the coast of Oaxaca..

Quick Reply: All Hybrid Builds have been Delayed until at least January