Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

All Hybrid Builds have been Delayed until at least January

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2024, 08:29 AM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Received 462 Likes on 336 Posts

so the e only range will be 30 miles w typical conditions?

that does sound rather anemic but i always saw the hybrid more as a performance boosting hybrid and not as an economy car solution.
The following users liked this post:
Schnave (03-05-2024)
Old 03-05-2024, 09:53 AM
TXSchnee
Racer

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

My '20 E Hybrid, with the small 14 kW battery does 27 miles winter and 21 miles summer. Once you have driven for a bit the guess o meter on the battery will be more accurate. I never drive in pure EV mode though, as Porsche themselves see the PHEV as a performance option, not an economy one. I average 30 mpg over nearly 4 years and do not drive slow, have been happy with the E Hybrid. I have an S E Hybrid on order, lock date is 4/15 and delivery showing the same as everyone else, 6/28. Will be interesting to see how it differs performance and battery wise from my '20. Still on the fence on taking it, as I have 2 other vehicles on order also, and may take whatever comes in first.
Electric Lizard (03-05-2024)
Old 03-05-2024, 11:58 AM
Ericson38
Burning Brakes

Received 364 Likes on 280 Posts

Re Battery Range after vehicle sits for months waiting for delivery-

"I just picked up my brand new Cayenne Hybrid yesterday and I guess I now understand why the hybrids were delayed for so long. I placed my order in April last year and have been following this thread daily. When I spoke with the sales associate in April, I had two options: purchase a cheaper 2021/22 model hybrid or wait for the new one with a significantly improved range/battery, which was supposed to be released in August - September. Yesterday, after fully charging the battery, I conducted a test drive. Initially, it displayed an 82km range, which was promising, but after about 10 minutes of driving, the range decreased rapidly. In total, you get about a 48km range, which was quite disappointing for me because they advertised a 70-90km range, achievable perhaps only if you're driving downhill continuously. I suspect they were aware of the battery performance issues and delayed the release until the hype from videos and reviews died down, and people moved on to other new cars. I'm curious why no one has conducted a thorough range test using E-Mode only. Range Rover and BMW offer double the range at a lower price."

read through this thread and post #47.

Intro to Electric Powertrains - Page 4 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Last edited by Ericson38; 03-05-2024 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-05-2024, 07:47 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by thecayenneguy
Yesterday, after fully charging the battery, I conducted a test drive. Initially, it displayed an 82km range, which was promising, but after about 10 minutes of driving, the range decreased rapidly. In total, you get about a 48km range, which was quite disappointing for me because they advertised a 70-90km range, achievable perhaps only if you're driving downhill continuously. I suspect they were aware of the battery performance issues and delayed the release until the hype from videos and reviews died down, and people moved on to other new cars. I'm curious why no one has conducted a thorough range test using E-Mode only. Range Rover and BMW offer double the range at a lower price.
You didn't state how fast you drove in your all-electric test (indeed, you didn't actually say that you drove in E-Power mode only, but I assume that's what you did). Nor did you state the ambient air temperature when driving, or where you drove geographically. You also didn't specifically state that you measured the odometer reading, vs. monitoring the computer-predicted range in the screen.
The best philosophy behind electric-only driving in any PHEV is to use it for driving in stop-and-go traffic or in slower driving, < 40 mph, and using hybrid mode for driving > 40 mph, because PHEVs just don't do that well at higher speeds in electric-only. As such, Kyle Conner (Out of Spec) posted a YouTube video last year of the new Cayenne E-Hybrid's all-electric range, staying < 45 mph and mostly 40 mph or less, driving around Los Angeles in typical city/suburban traffic, and he got 45 miles of all-electric range from full charge to depleted charge (when the ICE came on).

Conner also did the same type of test for the heavier 2024 GLE 450e, getting 68 miles of all-electric range in city driving (< 40 mph) and 58 miles of all-electric range at 70 mph. The GLE 450e seems to be PHEV king of electric range right now amongst cars actually for sale (the Polestar 1 is no longer being made, nor is the Chevy Volt).

Last edited by cometguy; 03-05-2024 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-06-2024, 04:28 AM
GTS440
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by thecayenneguy
Hey everyone,

I just picked up my brand new Cayenne Hybrid yesterday and I guess I now understand why the hybrids were delayed for so long. I placed my order in April last year and have been following this thread daily. When I spoke with the sales associate in April, I had two options: purchase a cheaper 2021/22 model hybrid or wait for the new one with a significantly improved range/battery, which was supposed to be released in August - September. Yesterday, after fully charging the battery, I conducted a test drive. Initially, it displayed an 82km range, which was promising, but after about 10 minutes of driving, the range decreased rapidly. In total, you get about a 48km range, which was quite disappointing for me because they advertised a 70-90km range, achievable perhaps only if you're driving downhill continuously. I suspect they were aware of the battery performance issues and delayed the release until the hype from videos and reviews died down, and people moved on to other new cars. I'm curious why no one has conducted a thorough range test using E-Mode only. Range Rover and BMW offer double the range at a lower price.

Would I buy it again? I dont think so.
I took delivery of my 2024 Cayenne E-Hybrid on 1st November. I have covered over 4000 (faultless) miles, over half of which has been Electric. In the UK outside temperatures range from 0 to 10 degrees C in this period and i have never achieved less than 38 miles electric range, best 42 so far but i expect that will increase to around 46-50 miles in the summer. I was a Hybrid sceptic but i now think its a great car and really works for my driving habits.
southernpaladin (03-06-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 07:18 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 870 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by GTS440
I took delivery of my 2024 Cayenne E-Hybrid on 1st November. I have covered over 4000 (faultless) miles, over half of which has been Electric. In the UK outside temperatures range from 0 to 10 degrees C in this period and i have never achieved less than 38 miles electric range, best 42 so far but i expect that will increase to around 46-50 miles in the summer. I was a Hybrid sceptic but i now think its a great car and really works for my driving habits.
That's great to hear thanks!
The following 2 users liked this post by rodsky:
mdrobc1213 (03-07-2024), southernpaladin (03-06-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 09:04 AM
swoop1156
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

i have never achieved less than 38 miles electric range, best 42 so far but i expect that will increase to around 46-50 miles in the summer. I was a Hybrid sceptic but i now think its a great car and really works for my driving habits.
Same feelings for our 2022 Turbo S e-hybrid. Faultless miles this far and if the 2024 is claimed to get double the range and double the power - we get 27-28 miles all electric, so your guess of 46-50 could even be conservative! Looking forward to hearing more.
Old 03-07-2024, 12:26 AM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

How do you drive your E-Hybrid to get 38-42 miles? Highway speeds? mix of highway and city speeds? or only city stop-and-go traffic speeds?
Also, did you get dual sunvisors on each side in the front?
Anything that you don't like about your E-Hybrid?
Thanks...
Old 03-07-2024, 01:05 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 856 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
That's disappointing if true - the range that is..
Also Rodsky considering the range concern comments are from a quote from 1 post owner and no clarifying information....need more objective data to figure out IMHO.

Last edited by mdrobc1213; 03-07-2024 at 01:06 AM.
Old 03-07-2024, 02:58 AM
GTS440
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
How do you drive your E-Hybrid to get 38-42 miles? Highway speeds? mix of highway and city speeds? or only city stop-and-go traffic speeds?
Also, did you get dual sunvisors on each side in the front?
Anything that you don't like about your E-Hybrid?
Thanks...
I use the E-Power mode around town and on lower speed roads up to 50- 60 MPH, but you can still drive over 80MPH in E-Power, but the drag will reduce your range significantly.

If you leave the car in Hybrid mode it is remarkably smart and switches between modes seamlessly. If driving back home and i have say 10 miles Electric range left i will switch to E-Power for the last 10 miles to use up all power and then charge at home as that's by far my cheapest fuel source.

The instant torque from the motor is also very usefully for around town.

The only thing i don't like is that when the battery is dead you are basically driving a 3.0V6 with an extra few hundred kilos so your mpg will be mid 20s but in reality thats justhe same as driving the non hybrid V6 with 3 passengers.

As long as say 50% of your miles can be done in E-Power like mine are the benefits are well worth the it in the Hybrid.

Old 03-07-2024, 04:48 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 870 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Also Rodsky considering the range concern comments are from a quote from 1 post owner and no clarifying information....need more objective data to figure out IMHO.
For sure - seems like the other owners / posters are having a different experience? Well I am getting the car anyways (when it eventually gets here) - so I will see for myself. I can't remember ever being disappointed in a Porsche product. So hopefully this is not the first time..
Old 03-07-2024, 11:31 AM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 217 Posts

I use the E-Power mode around town and on lower speed roads up to 50- 60 MPH, but you can still drive over 80MPH in E-Power, but the drag will reduce your range significantly.

If you leave the car in Hybrid mode it is remarkably smart and switches between modes seamlessly. If driving back home and i have say 10 miles Electric range left i will switch to E-Power for the last 10 miles to use up all power and then charge at home as that's by far my cheapest fuel source.

The instant torque from the motor is also very usefully for around town.

The only thing i don't like is that when the battery is dead you are basically driving a 3.0V6 with an extra few hundred kilos so your mpg will be mid 20s but in reality thats justhe same as driving the non hybrid V6 with 3 passengers.

As long as say 50% of your miles can be done in E-Power like mine are the benefits are well worth the it in the Hybrid.
I appreciate the tips from experience as my 24 hybrid will be the first non-ICE car I'll own. As for the comment regarding driving when the battery is "dead", I thought that the battery always maintains a residual charge of about 20% so even if you cannot drive purely electric, you can still get boost. Is that not the case in your model?
Old 03-07-2024, 11:45 AM
swoop1156
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Electric Lizard
I appreciate the tips from experience as my 24 hybrid will be the first non-ICE car I'll own.
You'll still definitely have an ICE up in there. That's the 3.0L V6 up front lol.
As for the comment regarding driving when the battery is "dead", I thought that the battery always maintains a residual charge of about 20% so even if you cannot drive purely electric, you can still get boost. Is that not the case in your model?
I believe this is all semantics. The battery will charge itself and maintain ~10% for the "boost functionality" (which is hotly discussed in another thread) while driving on Hybrid Auto. There are three settings on driving what I call, "hybridly"; Hybrid Auto, E-Hold, and E-Charge. That said, the only real hybrid setting is Hybrid Auto, as E-Hold and E-Charge will use your ICE 100% of the time, either to hold the current charge in the battery (so in turn, you don't use it) or to charge the battery (again, not using it). Hybrid Auto will also charge the battery here and there when the ICE is engaged, which is quite often in our experience—cruising down hills, coasting to a stop, or maintaining lower speeds on a relatively flat road, again, while in Hybrid Auto, will disengage the ICE. If you have the "boost" button on the steering wheel with Sport Chrono, or, if you go full-throttle, the battery will assist even if "e-power not available" shows on the dash.

I'm becoming increasingly accustomed to disengaging the cruise control, which I use at any speed over 20mph, and coasting as much as I can. With Porsche's technology of disengaging the entire driveline while coasting (depending on circumstances), thus also turning off the ICE, this thing will coast forever. Remember that this is still very much a "driver's car" and the more the driver is engaged in the piloting of the vehicle, the more it benefits you.

Be sure to read the entirety of the owners manual. This is our first Porsche and some of the things that it does is way different than say, my Ford.
Old 03-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by swoop1156
You'll still definitely have an ICE up in there. That's the 3.0L V6 up front lol.
Yep, got it!

I believe this is all semantics. The battery will charge itself and maintain ~10% for the "boost functionality" (which is hotly discussed in another thread) while driving on Hybrid Auto. There are three settings on driving what I call, "hybridly"; Hybrid Auto, E-Hold, and E-Charge. That said, the only real hybrid setting is Hybrid Auto, as E-Hold and E-Charge will use your ICE 100% of the time, either to hold the current charge in the battery (so in turn, you don't use it) or to charge the battery (again, not using it). Hybrid Auto will also charge the battery here and there when the ICE is engaged, which is quite often in our experience—cruising down hills, coasting to a stop, or maintaining lower speeds on a relatively flat road, again, while in Hybrid Auto, will disengage the ICE. If you have the "boost" button on the steering wheel with Sport Chrono, or, if you go full-throttle, the battery will assist even if "e-power not available" shows on the dash.

I'm becoming increasingly accustomed to disengaging the cruise control, which I use at any speed over 20mph, and coasting as much as I can. With Porsche's technology of disengaging the entire driveline while coasting (depending on circumstances), thus also turning off the ICE, this thing will coast forever. Remember that this is still very much a "driver's car" and the more the driver is engaged in the piloting of the vehicle, the more it benefits you.
That confirms my understanding, thanks!

Be sure to read the entirety of the owners manual. This is our first Porsche and some of the things that it does is way different than say, my Ford.
I'd love to get my hands on a manual, but even though I have a VIN, Porsche wants to see proof of ownership before allowing me to view the sacred text. I'll be picking up the car out of state and driving it about 12 hours home, so it'd be nice to know how to operate some of its components before I hit the road.
Old 03-07-2024, 12:54 PM
swoop1156
Intermediate

That confirms my understanding, thanks!
...and I suppose someone may tell me I am incorrect, which I am, actually. If you're driving aggressively, or pull out to pass, or you just want to have fun and do a quick highway pull, both the E-Charge and E-Hold will still use battery assist/boost if you're asking the vehicle for all the beans, though just for a second. The little battery bar under the tach, or on the digital display screen if you have it on there, will show that it's in 'assist' mode. The terms in this instance, boost/assist is the same thing. While driving, the car actually will use "assist", unless you press the boost button, and then "boost" is activated - but it's the same. Again, hotly discussed over here in this thread. Enjoy that masterpiece of discussion if you want.
I'd love to get my hands on a manual, but even though I have a VIN, Porsche wants to see proof of ownership before allowing me to view the sacred text. I'll be picking up the car out of state and driving it about 12 hours home, so it'd be nice to know how to operate some of its components before I hit the road.
I've always thought it's hilarious that we can't get a PDF copy, like it's some magical secret or something. I'd much rather flip some physical pages with some whiskey rather than have my face buried in a screen. I say pick up the car, and enjoy figuring it out on your own for 12 hours! We've had ours for about a month or perhaps a little more and I still figure things out and get it set up to my liking. It's my wife's daily driver so I only get to use it on weekends or when I steal it from her parking garage to give it a wash or something. She tries so hard to use e-power only and the first thing I do when I get in is whack that 'individual' button which sets the car in SPORT chassis, SPORT exhaust, pops the spoiler, and lowers the suspension.

Quick Reply: All Hybrid Builds have been Delayed until at least January