Sponsored By:

Dashcam on Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 01:47 PM
Zak
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dashcam on Cayenne

I just got my new 2019 Cayenne S and want to install a dashcam. The fusebox layout makes me less willing to install a fuse buddy as I had done in my 2014 Cayenne. Was thinking about using the power outlet under the glove box but was worried about draining the battery. Then I noticed in the manual that the Aux power outlets shut down after 30 minutes.....tested it and, it is true! So I am thinking of routing the wires to that power outlet and not worry about getting fancy with various accessories. Next job is to make sure I can place the camera by the rear view mirror without interfering with other functions. Would appreciate any comments from owners who have already gone the dashcam route on the new Cayenne
The following users liked this post:
Palantir (05-29-2023)
Old 03-18-2019, 02:15 PM
QQQ
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zak
I just got my new 2019 Cayenne S and want to install a dashcam. The fusebox layout makes me less willing to install a fuse buddy as I had done in my 2014 Cayenne. Was thinking about using the power outlet under the glove box but was worried about draining the battery. Then I noticed in the manual that the Aux power outlets shut down after 30 minutes.....tested it and, it is true! So I am thinking of routing the wires to that power outlet and not worry about getting fancy with various accessories. Next job is to make sure I can place the camera by the rear view mirror without interfering with other functions. Would appreciate any comments from owners who have already gone the dashcam route on the new Cayenne
Would also like a dashcam. Are you doing anything for the rear? I wish they would just add this feature into the cars themselves. What is the best way to have this done so no wires are exposed? How much would someone charge to do this type of install? Does it need someone who has expertise with Porsches or can anyone do this? Thanks.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:16 PM
pvgolfer
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Interested as well. Read some of the older threads on BlackVue cameras and Garmin 45. Wondering if there are any new reviews and/or recommendations. Amazon frequently has deals on the Aukey dash cams.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:36 PM
Zak
Intermediate

Originally Posted by QQQ
Would also like a dashcam. Are you doing anything for the rear? I wish they would just add this feature into the cars themselves. What is the best way to have this done so no wires are exposed? How much would someone charge to do this type of install? Does it need someone who has expertise with Porsches or can anyone do this? Thanks.
I too can not figure out why it is not an option on cars these days, we have factory installed camera's all over the vehicles now and I would think it would be simple to provide a recording device as an option. As for wires, you can route them along the small opening at the top of the windshield (camera mounted at top near center) then across the trim to the rubber trim piece that runs down beside the door, just fit the wire inside that rubber trim, similar route it back under the dash at the bottom. Did this in my 2014 Cayenne and it was never a problem (I routed it into the passenger side fuse box). Looks like the same will work for my new Cayenne. I am still thinking about a rear camera but have not decided. Have no idea what someone would charge for this, I am a dedicated "do it yourselfer"
Old 03-18-2019, 02:37 PM
Zak
Intermediate

I used a Blackvue Camera on my old Cayenne and was very happy with it, will probably go Blackvue again with the newer model. Very compact, has no screen but links to your smartphone. I like the more compact design without a screen.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:55 PM
QQQ
Advanced

Originally Posted by Zak
I too can not figure out why it is not an option on cars these days, we have factory installed camera's all over the vehicles now and I would think it would be simple to provide a recording device as an option. As for wires, you can route them along the small opening at the top of the windshield (camera mounted at top near center) then across the trim to the rubber trim piece that runs down beside the door, just fit the wire inside that rubber trim, similar route it back under the dash at the bottom. Did this in my 2014 Cayenne and it was never a problem (I routed it into the passenger side fuse box). Looks like the same will work for my new Cayenne. I am still thinking about a rear camera but have not decided. Have no idea what someone would charge for this, I am a dedicated "do it yourselfer"
I also don't mind the straight forward easy DIY type stuff. I enjoy learning and completing the project is very self gratifying. If it doesn't cost too much I also don't mind someone doing it for me but would be wary of the car possibly being damaged if they need to start removing panels and such. Did some research on the best most reliable dash cams and couldn't find a clear winner. Can anyone recommend a good dash cam?
Old 03-18-2019, 02:58 PM
QQQ
Advanced

Originally Posted by Zak
I used a Blackvue Camera on my old Cayenne and was very happy with it, will probably go Blackvue again with the newer model. Very compact, has no screen but links to your smartphone. I like the more compact design without a screen.
This one is a bit pricier but looks decent. I like the look. Thanks Zak.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/node/6277313011?_encoding=UTF8&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=Blackvue&ref_=bl_dp_s_web_6277313011 https://www.amazon.com/stores/node/6277313011?_encoding=UTF8&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=Blackvue&ref_=bl_dp_s_web_6277313011
Old 03-18-2019, 03:25 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 176 Posts

I am interested as well. We've never owned a dash cam. Looked at this one pretty heavily but never pulled the trigger. Does anyone else here use it?

https://waylens.com/360/

Old 03-18-2019, 04:00 PM
phatchunk99
Advanced

Originally Posted by Zak
I too can not figure out why it is not an option on cars these days, we have factory installed camera's all over the vehicles now and I would think it would be simple to provide a recording device as an option.
I wouldn't option a factory installed camera even if Porsche offered one. I have their surround cameras on my car. If you try to park your car next to a curb any time after dusk, good luck making out where the curb is from looking at the side view camera. They already have a puddle light under the side view mirror which they can easily turn on so that you can see the curb better, but they didn't bother programming it in. So my expectation is that when Porsche does come out with a camera to record traffic, it will be useless at night time.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:39 PM
BCA01
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 49 Posts

What I'm hoping for is that it becomes common/expected for vehicles to have standard connection points near the top of the windshield and rear glass so that owners can plug-and-play whatever dash cam setup they want without having to run all the wires. The electrical connection could become some kind of standard like USB is today (perhaps it could even be a USB or mini USB). I wouldn't want to option a factory-installed camera system because it might not be what I want, and camera technology can change so much over the lifetime of a vehicle, but I sure would like a way to install a dashcam without all the wiring, fuse taps, etc. and probably won't mess with one until installation becomes less of a hassle.

Some kind of wireless/Bluetooth setup would perhaps be even better. I'm surprised that there aren't already systems where the cameras can talk to each other and to a network (wifi) without all the wires.

As for you all who are researching your options, Vortex Radar on YouTube is a great channel to check out.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:10 PM
vangoose
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BCA01
What I'm hoping for is that it becomes common/expected for vehicles to have standard connection points near the top of the windshield and rear glass so that owners can plug-and-play whatever dash cam setup they want without having to run all the wires. The electrical connection could become some kind of standard like USB is today (perhaps it could even be a USB or mini USB). I wouldn't want to option a factory-installed camera system because it might not be what I want, and camera technology can change so much over the lifetime of a vehicle, but I sure would like a way to install a dashcam without all the wiring, fuse taps, etc. and probably won't mess with one until installation becomes less of a hassle.

Some kind of wireless/Bluetooth setup would perhaps be even better. I'm surprised that there aren't already systems where the cameras can talk to each other and to a network (wifi) without all the wires.

As for you all who are researching your options, Vortex Radar on YouTube is a great channel to check out.
There are after market dash cams that are integrated with rearview mirror in China. It gets power from roof light. It can be installed by dealers in China.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:20 PM
Zak
Intermediate

BCA01 you are so right! Would be so nice to have a factory plug at the rear view mirror. And I agree, I would not want a factory camera but I still think it would be easy for them to provide one via the existing systems. And I am also astounded that the front/rear camera setups are not available with Bluetooth communication rather than wires.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:50 PM
celiawessen
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

In the 2019 Cayenne, the fusebox you want is under the dead-pedal. Row D, slot 15 or 16 is the Headlight Electronics only powered while ignition is on. They provide 12V ACC. Those of you with a radar detector may find that it is already piggy-backing off of one of the slots. Remember, with the new LiFePO4 battery cars, ALWAYS check the voltage of each cable - it can be up to 48V.

You will need to find a Ground somewhere else though. I like to tap a screw in the metal frame under the dash behind the driver's side fuse box door. I don't have to hunch over or crawl under anything to get to it.

ALSO, if your dashcam has GPS featuers, the insulated glass will totally interfere with the small antenna on a dashcam.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:53 PM
redbaron01
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a BlackView DR750S-2CH, installed on my 2019 turbo ,Great unit but pricey ,, Had formerly a Blackview 650 2 channel on my Gen2 which worked great .. The new unit was hard wired by professional installer, who also did the Blackview650 .Understanding my limited abilities was the best way for me to go .. I can recommend the DashCam Store, who offer tech support, and do installs if you are in the vicinity of Austin Tx, https://www.thedashcamstore.com.

cheers
Old 03-18-2019, 10:59 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 402 Likes on 282 Posts

The issue with cams etc here in Toronto is cars regularly get broken into for them . If they are visable your window will get popped down here.

Last edited by rileyracing1; 03-18-2019 at 11:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: Dashcam on Cayenne