Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Dashcam on Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 08:41 PM
tnq
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Lift up the panel on the left edge and slide to to the left.

Blackvue battery goes in the red area. make sure it's secured with velcro to the body. Don't want it to rub and buzz or touch the car battery.

Old 09-15-2019, 10:34 PM
Mirrorslap
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by tnq

Blackvue battery goes in the red area. make sure it's secured with velcro to the body. Don't want it to rub and buzz or touch the car battery.
thank you for these!

So on a 2019, the battery is under the passenger seat? On a 2014, its under the drivers seat I think, anyone know for sure?
Old 09-15-2019, 10:36 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

Good info there thanks!

Originally Posted by tnq

Old 09-16-2019, 12:18 AM
tnq
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mirrorslap
thank you for these!

So on a 2019, the battery is under the passenger seat? On a 2014, its under the drivers seat I think, anyone know for sure?
It's not under the passenger seat per se. It's under the front passenger side footwell panel/floor for 9Y0 models.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:31 PM
GabL
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. Would you happen to know which fuse is "Always On"? As I'm planning to install the Power Magic Pro for my Blackvue. Thank you.

Originally Posted by celiawessen
In the 2019 Cayenne, the fusebox you want is under the dead-pedal. Row D, slot 15 or 16 is the Headlight Electronics only powered while ignition is on. They provide 12V ACC. Those of you with a radar detector may find that it is already piggy-backing off of one of the slots. Remember, with the new LiFePO4 battery cars, ALWAYS check the voltage of each cable - it can be up to 48V.

You will need to find a Ground somewhere else though. I like to tap a screw in the metal frame under the dash behind the driver's side fuse box door. I don't have to hunch over or crawl under anything to get to it.

ALSO, if your dashcam has GPS featuers, the insulated glass will totally interfere with the small antenna on a dashcam.
Old 12-27-2019, 02:00 PM
A80
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With the non-hybrid cayenne battery capacity, it is probably not necessary anymore to have a backup battery pack or third party cut-off circuit attached to the vehicle.
Using Blackvue 900-2ch for example, without any such "protective" device, direct plug into the charger (either under the glove-box or by the tailgate, since both are always on) for two full days, the car doesn't have a problem to start after. E-hybrid battery is 75KWh, probably it could support the dashcam for a month (if not two) I guess.

An arbitrary quick calculation as following:

In theory
data from Blackvue, 380mA/Hour (high limit I guess), 12V, (0.38 A x 12 V = 4.56W per hour)
Power Magic cutoff: 12.0 V

Presume
2 battery in parallel
Battery rate: 110A/Hour
CCA: 750
"Normal" voltage: 12.8V

(12.8-12) x 2 x (750/2/110) x 110 / 4.56 = 65.79 hour...good enough

in comparison, a blackvue B-112 battery pack is 12.8V x 3000mAh x 1 hour (since only taking one hour to complete charge according to Blackvue) = 38.4 W or about 8-hour support...

Last edited by A80; 12-27-2019 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-27-2019, 05:55 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by A80
With the non-hybrid cayenne battery capacity, it is probably not necessary anymore to have a backup battery pack or third party cut-off circuit attached to the vehicle.
Using Blackvue 900-2ch for example, without any such "protective" device, direct plug into the charger (either under the glove-box or by the tailgate, since both are always on) for two full days, the car doesn't have a problem to start after. E-hybrid battery is 75KWh, probably it could support the dashcam for a month (if not two) I guess.

An arbitrary quick calculation as following:

In theory
data from Blackvue, 380mA/Hour (high limit I guess), 12V, (0.38 A x 12 V = 4.56W per hour)
Power Magic cutoff: 12.0 V

Presume
2 battery in parallel
Battery rate: 110A/Hour
CCA: 750
"Normal" voltage: 12.8V

(12.8-12) x 2 x (750/2/110) x 110 / 4.56 = 65.79 hour...good enough

in comparison, a blackvue B-112 battery pack is 12.8V x 3000mAh x 1 hour (since only taking one hour to complete charge according to Blackvue) = 38.4 W or about 8-hour support...
this is the 900S-2ch input: (parking mode or recoding is the same)

Old 07-13-2020, 10:17 AM
Greyphantom
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Hi guys,
I’ve been installing blackvue on all my cars, just be careful when installing/ running wires along the weather seal for dual (front and rear ) cameras to ensure that you don’t interfere with side curtain airbags.
Ideally you need to install the b-124 battery in a location with plenty of airflow and not next to any heat sources , especially in countries where it gets extremely hot
could someone please post a location of the fuse box on the 9Y0?
Old 07-14-2020, 05:49 AM
tnq
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Greyphantom
Hi guys,
I’ve been installing blackvue on all my cars, just be careful when installing/ running wires along the weather seal for dual (front and rear ) cameras to ensure that you don’t interfere with side curtain airbags.
Ideally you need to install the b-124 battery in a location with plenty of airflow and not next to any heat sources , especially in countries where it gets extremely hot
could someone please post a location of the fuse box on the 9Y0?
It's underneath the driver foot rest/dead pedal. Just remove the dead pedal cover and you will see the fuses.
The following users liked this post:
Greyphantom (01-19-2023)
Old 09-17-2020, 01:40 PM
KCOrlando
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sold on the BlackView for our 2019 Cayenne.
A few questions for the group :
A
re there any concerns with the Parking mode battery draining the primary battery?
Does anyone have any updated information or experience they want to share?
Thank you in advance.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:49 PM
lacibaci
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I believe Blackvue has battery discharge prevention logic. I use Garmin and it has it as well. You should also be able to configure the voltage at which the camera shuts down to save the battery.
The following users liked this post:
KCOrlando (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 02:40 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by KCOrlando
I am sold on the BlackView for our 2019 Cayenne.
A few questions for the group :
A
re there any concerns with the Parking mode battery draining the primary battery?
Does anyone have any updated information or experience they want to share?
Thank you in advance.
Blackvue just released a new model, the DR900X so that’s the one I would get. I have the DR900S.
i use their battery backup, I’ll update this post with the right name when I get home I can’t remember. One thing you need to make sure is to buy the correct memory card, doesn’t have to be theirs but needs to be compatible with dashcams because of the extra heat in the summer.
Old 09-17-2020, 03:14 PM
Ray831
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

GiuseppeM, did you do the instal or did you have it done? Details please on the wiring would be nice and appreciated. Did the camera tuck nicely behind the rear view mirror?
Old 09-17-2020, 03:49 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

I installed all my dash cams and each car had it's own type of installation, for the Cayenne I put the camera under the passenger sun visors. When I attempted to install it close to the mirror like in my GT3 but it was too low and was obstructing the view.

I didn't hardwire the Cayenne, I ran the wires using these tools: https://amzn.to/2LHO1my (even thought the camera comes with one you need multiple ones and they're only a few bucks. I ran them all the way to the back, put this battery backup: https://amzn.to/3kuuEiS in the spare tire compartment (under the trunk) and then ran the plug to the cigarette plug, located on the left side of the trunk. It's very easy to install once you understand how to pry open the car trim enough to push the wires in it. Great thing about this camera is that you can see the live feed on your phone so you know exactly where it's pointing.

Regarding parking more, the camera draws the same amps because it's buffering, so it consumes the same power.

(in the photos below the camera doesn't look straight because of the lens, it's just the photo.)

Old 08-12-2021, 06:47 PM
Silververtu
Pro

Received 234 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by GiuseppeM
I installed all my dash cams and each car had it's own type of installation, for the Cayenne I put the camera under the passenger sun visors. When I attempted to install it close to the mirror like in my GT3 but it was too low and was obstructing the view.

I didn't hardwire the Cayenne, I ran the wires using these tools: https://amzn.to/2LHO1my (even thought the camera comes with one you need multiple ones and they're only a few bucks. I ran them all the way to the back, put this battery backup: https://amzn.to/3kuuEiS in the spare tire compartment (under the trunk) and then ran the plug to the cigarette plug, located on the left side of the trunk. It's very easy to install once you understand how to pry open the car trim enough to push the wires in it. Great thing about this camera is that you can see the live feed on your phone so you know exactly where it's pointing.

Regarding parking more, the camera draws the same amps because it's buffering, so it consumes the same power.

(in the photos below the camera doesn't look straight because of the lens, it's just the photo.)
Did you run the wires through the roof or the floor? I assume you go through the passenger side since the camera is on that side. Can you provide more details on how you did yours?

Many thanks!!!!

Last edited by Silververtu; 08-12-2021 at 06:48 PM. Reason: A

Quick Reply: Dashcam on Cayenne