Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Dashcam on Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2023, 01:00 PM
lacibaci
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I have a personal experience over several years, cars and camera models. All cameras with Novatek chipsets had some kind of radio interference problems. Only one dash cam with Ambarella chipsets was problematic for me.
You have to realize that these companies usually don't have big budgets for proper RF testing. They usually use a reference design provided by the chip manufacturer.
That said, if it works for you - great.
BTW, here is a great resource for all dashcam related things https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/
The following 2 users liked this post by lacibaci:
Greyphantom (06-21-2023), Woofman (06-04-2023)
Old 06-23-2023, 03:08 PM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Received 542 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by radctt1
Anyone with experience with FitcamX Dashcam for their 9Y0 or other vehicles? I discovered FitcamX over in 992 forum and seems to have some decent reviews. Install looks straight forward as says "plug n play".

TIA
I installed the "plug and play" front 4K FITCAMX in my 2022 Cayenne this morning. I followed the "Porsche Type A" video instructions provided on YouTube although they didn't exactly match my Cayenne. I protected the dashboard and console from damage with a beach towel and applied blue painters tape along the seams of the overhead trim panels I pried off. The trim removal tools that cam with the FITCAMX worked perfectly. I removed the rear view mirror from its windshield bracket by twisting it off but realized later that might not have been necessary. The biggest challenge was plugging the FITCAMX's wiring harness into the Cayenne's rain sensor ... it's a tight squeeze and it helps to orient the corrector correctly!

It was easier than expected to connect the FITCAMX Android phone app to the FITCAMX WiFi. I didn't have to disable cellular data as others have had to do. Connecting my phone to the FITCAMX WiFi temporarily disables Android Auto and would do the same for CarPlay.

Videos taken by the FITCAMX seem to be clear enough for legal purposes at the medium resolution setting. I will experiment with higher resolution settings and will buy a "high Endurance" 128GB microSD card to replace the 64GB card that came with the FITCAM. I initially set the recording duration to 5 minutes but decided that's far too long ... will try one and three minute loops.

There's no point in posting sample videos here - there's a vast number on YouTube - but I'll answer questions if there are any.

This is not a high feature product but should it fulfill my requirements which is mainly to be able to proved that I have right of way in case of stop sign and red light runners. Its main pluses are that it is not obvious and it looks OEM. I wish I had installed it before yesterday's 10,000 mile service but I didn't have time. It would have been interesting seeing where and how the mechanic test drove my Cayenne.

Here's a photo I took after I got the FTICAMX installed and just before I smashed the two remaining trim pieces back into place.

FITCAMX installed - almost done

Last edited by Woofman; 06-23-2023 at 06:38 PM. Reason: schpellin and grammer korections
The following 4 users liked this post by Woofman:
JediRocker (12-03-2023), lee.jones (03-03-2024), radctt1 (06-23-2023), rajatparihar (06-23-2023)
Old 06-23-2023, 07:02 PM
rajatparihar
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Woofman
I installed the "plug and play" front 4K FITCAMX in my 2022 Cayenne this morning. I followed the "Porsche Type A" video instructions provided on YouTube although they didn't exactly match my Cayenne. I protected the dashboard and console from damage with a beach towel and applied blue painters tape along the seams of the overhead trim panels I pried off. The trim removal tools that cam with the FITCAMX worked perfectly. I removed the rear view mirror from its windshield bracket by twisting it off but realized later that might not have been necessary. The biggest challenge was plugging the FITCAMX's wiring harness into the Cayenne's rain sensor ... it's a tight squeeze and it helps to orient the corrector correctly!

It was easier than expected to connect the FITCAMX Android phone app to the FITCAMX WiFi. I didn't have to disable cellular data as others have had to do. Connecting my phone to the FITCAMX WiFi temporarily disables Android Auto and would do the same for CarPlay.

Videos taken by the FITCAMX seem to be clear enough for legal purposes at the medium resolution setting. I will experiment with higher resolution settings and will buy a "high Endurance" 128GB microSD card to replace the 64GB card that came with the FITCAM. I initially set the recording duration to 5 minutes but decided that's far too long ... will try one and three minute loops.

There's no point in posting sample videos here - there's a vast number on YouTube - but I'll answer questions if there are any.

This is not a high feature product but should it fulfill my requirements which is mainly to be able to proved that I have right of way in case of stop sign and red light runners. Its main pluses are that it is not obvious and it looks OEM. I wish I had installed it before yesterday's 10,000 mile service but I didn't have time. It would have been interesting seeing where and how the mechanic test drove my Cayenne.

Here's a photo I took after I got the FTICAMX installed and just before I smashed the two remaining trim pieces back into place.

Great job. Have you noticed any rattle post installation? I read somewhere that the plastic cover of the dashcam starts rattling after a while specially in hot weather.
Old 06-23-2023, 09:30 PM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rajatparihar
Great job. Have you noticed any rattle post installation? I read somewhere that the plastic cover of the dashcam starts rattling after a while specially in hot weather.
I've driven only about 25 miles since installing the FITCAMX dashcam but I don't expect any rattles to develop. I've noticed by watching a number of FITCAMX install videos that some people have done a **** poor job in correctly connecting the FITCAMX camera module to the rain sensor bracket and have done a sloppy job in reinstalling the other trim pieces. You have to be exact in doing this installation if you want the best results.

Bumping up the FITCAMX resolution to the maximum and reducing the loop video duration from 5 minutes to one minute helped. The videos are now much clearer and I can usually read license plates on other vehicles as long as their speed is similar to mine. I really like this dashcam even though it isn't 'high feature.' Why can't all automakers provide factory installed integrated dashcams at least as good as the FITCAMX. .
The following users liked this post:
lee.jones (03-03-2024)
Old 06-25-2023, 10:47 AM
Greyphantom
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Anyone knows how to remove the A-pillar so that I can run the wires behind the airbag? Apparently There’s a push clip in the upper part of the a pillar trim , it’s still not co ing out even after pushing that metal push clip.
the weather strip along the doors also seems to be glued , this is rather unusual
Old 07-25-2023, 05:32 AM
Greyphantom
Instructor

All, I finally managed to install front and rear cam on my GTS coupe. The blackvue B130x batter is plugged into the rear boot cigar socket.
one issue though. I’ve noticed my camera randomly powers on and turns off, after some investigating into the anomaly I’ve found out that all power socket within the vehicle randomly spikes voltage even when the car is fully locked and powered off.
note that the powers remains on fir the first 30minutes at 13volts, so nice this time has reached all power sockets go offline. The timely power spikes I’m referring to here happens after this period.
once I lock the car the first power spike happens after approximately 2minutes on all power sockets , then once every 10-15 minutes apart. And when this happens the camera boots up and shuts down.

Appreciate if anyone can confirm the power socket with a multimeter to confirm if this is normal. You’ll need to lock the car and sit inside with a multimeter unfortunately

Last edited by Greyphantom; 07-25-2023 at 05:47 AM.
Old 07-26-2023, 03:17 PM
Ron.s
Pro

Received 170 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Greyphantom
All, I finally managed to install front and rear cam on my GTS coupe. The blackvue B130x batter is plugged into the rear boot cigar socket.
one issue though. I’ve noticed my camera randomly powers on and turns off, after some investigating into the anomaly I’ve found out that all power socket within the vehicle randomly spikes voltage even when the car is fully locked and powered off.
note that the powers remains on fir the first 30minutes at 13volts, so nice this time has reached all power sockets go offline. The timely power spikes I’m referring to here happens after this period.
once I lock the car the first power spike happens after approximately 2minutes on all power sockets , then once every 10-15 minutes apart. And when this happens the camera boots up and shuts down.

Appreciate if anyone can confirm the power socket with a multimeter to confirm if this is normal. You’ll need to lock the car and sit inside with a multimeter unfortunately
Interesting…have you had any other issues such as finding your car unlocked, hatch open without touching the car or Key Fob? A voltage spike might be triggering these odd issues on my 2023 GTS. Is your vehicle a 23? I’m meeting with the Dealer next week to discuss this issue among others. I’ll try to check my car if I still have my very old multimeter.
Old 07-26-2023, 05:48 PM
Silververtu
Pro

Received 234 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Greyphantom

If the camera is plugged into the battery and happens to boot up and down, isn't the battery an issue?

I also have the dashcam battery (blackboxmycar 7500mAh) plugged into the rear boot socket and my dashcam is on 24/7 without issue. I can see all videos from the SD cards (each file is one minute and the file times indicate the dashcam working fine). However, I notice the rear boot socket is "always on" which kind of defect the purpose of having a dashcam battery.
Old 07-26-2023, 07:46 PM
Greyphantom
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ron.s
Interesting…have you had any other issues such as finding your car unlocked, hatch open without touching the car or Key Fob? A voltage spike might be triggering these odd issues on my 2023 GTS. Is your vehicle a 23? I’m meeting with the Dealer next week to discuss this issue among others. I’ll try to check my car if I still have my very old multimeter.
It’s a march 23 , GTS and no other issues …
Old 07-26-2023, 07:51 PM
Greyphantom
Instructor

Originally Posted by Silververtu
If the camera is plugged into the battery and happens to boot up and down, isn't the battery an issue?

I also have the dashcam battery (blackboxmycar 7500mAh) plugged into the rear boot socket and my dashcam is on 24/7 without issue. I can see all videos from the SD cards (each file is one minute and the file times indicate the dashcam working fine). However, I notice the rear boot socket is "always on" which kind of defect the purpose of having a dashcam battery.
the B130 is designed to charge the battery and power the camera if voltage is detected in the socket. I’ve verified all sockets in the car seems to shoot up voltage at specific intervals. 1st approximately 1.30minutes after locking the vehicle (I was sitting inside with a multimeter pointed on the socket, then after 10minutes)
this is only an issue if parking mode is disabled . If you enable 24/7 parking mode you’ll never experience this issue.
since I don’t drive much the b130x that was plugged into the rear boot had completely depleted my car battery abd I had to call roadside assistance

Last edited by Greyphantom; 07-26-2023 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-29-2023, 08:32 PM
Greyphantom
Instructor

New issue. none of the 12v power sockets power off after the documented idle time out of 30minutes(as per user manual) this defeats the purpose of my Dashcam battery (blackvue b130x) this started happening recently after a flat battery jump start. Please help if anyone have any ideas.
Old 03-03-2024, 12:48 PM
lee.jones
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

@Woofman How hard was the install? I have installed a FITCAMX on a Lexus, and it took less than 10 minutes, but the videos I have seen on the Cayenne seem a little more involved?

Any tips on installing the FITCAMX on a 2019 Cayenne? Is there better video or instructions on the web?

Thanks

Lee
2019 Cayenne
Old 03-03-2024, 01:33 PM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lee.jones
@Woofman How hard was the install? I have installed a FITCAMX on a Lexus, and it took less than 10 minutes, but the videos I have seen on the Cayenne seem a little more involved?

Any tips on installing the FITCAMX on a 2019 Cayenne? Is there better video or instructions on the web?

Thanks

Lee
2019 Cayenne
Gosh, I probably spent over two hours due to obsessively planning, taping potential damage points with painters tape and stopping and re-watching installation videos. It quickly became obvious that the installation videos on the FITCAMX website did not exactly match the Cayenne. The most difficult steps were unplugging the OEM connector from the rain sensor and plugging the connector of the cable that came with the FITCAMX into the rain sensor. There are release tabs on these tiny two connectors that are just about impossible to depress due to the cramped space. I'm not sure that I ever depressed the release tab on the original connector but I eventually got it unplugged. And I spend probably 10 minutes trying to install the FITCAMX's connector into the rain sensor upside down! "Teasing" the body of the FITCAMX to snap perfectly into place took patience. Cramming the excess cable into the FITCAMX body took effort. Twisting the interior mirror off took a leap of faith. I thought it might break but I came loose with a "pop". Reinstalling the interior mirror was easier ... I inadvertently got its safety lanyard twisted tightly around its base but that doesn't show. You'll want to plan for the safety lanyard before you twist the mirror back into place.

I don't know how I would rate difficulty on a 1 to 10 scale. Maybe somewhere between 3 and 5 but I've done quite a lot of interior disassembly on cars. The trim removal tools that cam with the FITCAMX were very useful and worked better than my own trim removal tools which were mostly too large.

I'm still happy with the FITCAMX but I wished it had more features and used a more modern WiFi connection protocol but you probably know its limitations from your Lexus installation.
lee.jones (03-03-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 05:21 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,606 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Gosh, I probably spent over two hours due to obsessively planning, taping potential damage points with painters tape and stopping and re-watching installation videos. It quickly became obvious that the installation videos on the FITCAMX website did not exactly match the Cayenne. The most difficult steps were unplugging the OEM connector from the rain sensor and plugging the connector of the cable that came with the FITCAMX into the rain sensor. There are release tabs on these tiny two connectors that are just about impossible to depress due to the cramped space. I'm not sure that I ever depressed the release tab on the original connector but I eventually got it unplugged. And I spend probably 10 minutes trying to install the FITCAMX's connector into the rain sensor upside down! "Teasing" the body of the FITCAMX to snap perfectly into place took patience. Cramming the excess cable into the FITCAMX body took effort. Twisting the interior mirror off took a leap of faith. I thought it might break but I came loose with a "pop". Reinstalling the interior mirror was easier ... I inadvertently got its safety lanyard twisted tightly around its base but that doesn't show. You'll want to plan for the safety lanyard before you twist the mirror back into place.

I don't know how I would rate difficulty on a 1 to 10 scale. Maybe somewhere between 3 and 5 but I've done quite a lot of interior disassembly on cars. The trim removal tools that cam with the FITCAMX were very useful and worked better than my own trim removal tools which were mostly too large.

I'm still happy with the FITCAMX but I wished it had more features and used a more modern WiFi connection protocol but you probably know its limitations from your Lexus installation.
You still happy with the FITCAM? And do you have front only or front / rear?

I just ordered one for my M3. If I like it, I'll get one for the Cayenne. Doofus ran a stop sign and almost plowed into my son this weekend in the 958 Diesel. Glad HE has a dash cam. My M3 comes with a "drive recorder" but it's functionality is quite low as it only records if an impact is triggered or if you manually press the button and then only for 20 seconds either side of the activation point.
Old 04-22-2024, 06:56 PM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
You still happy with the FITCAM? And do you have front only or front / rear?
Yes, the front-only version works fine for my needs. I've downloaded numerous videos from it most of which are of stop sign and red light runners. Maybe I'll upload those videos to the YouTube channel where I put the FITCAMX video that shows how my LED-matrix headlights work after 9xx re-coded them.

I still wish that the FITCAMX could put location coordinates and vehicle speed on the videos as many dashcams do. And it would be nice if it supported a better WiFi connection protocol that would allow faster video downloading. I usually remove the microSD card and plug it into a personal computer.

If I was going to install a rear camera, I'd investigate running the cable to it under the door threshold plates and behind the cargo area trim instead of through the headliner. I've run a lot of cables through vehicles and have found that under the door thresholds is easiest and less stressful. I would definitely spring for a new FITCAMX front/rear setup if they made the improvements I want.
Needsdecaf (04-22-2024)

Quick Reply: Dashcam on Cayenne