Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Dashcam on Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2023, 07:10 PM
sevasnex
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 67 Posts

I'm interested in why people are interested in dash cams. Like, why? Are you a film maker? Is the situation with road rage/fraudsters that bad in your area? I know people that have been driving without dash cams for 40 years. And they are fine, you know.
Old 05-18-2023, 07:11 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by sevasnex
I'm interested in why people are interested in dash cams. Like, why? Are you a film maker? Is the situation with road rage/fraudsters that bad in your area? I know people that have been driving without dash cams for 40 years. And they are fine, you know.
insurance
The following users liked this post:
Greyphantom (05-18-2023)
Old 05-19-2023, 08:37 AM
toma nova
Rennlist Member

Received 352 Likes on 237 Posts

Driving an expensive vehicle in Houston traffic with a high likelihood of un- / underinsured drivers. My goal is to use my horn every time I drive to try to single-handedly educate all the crappy drivers here. 40-year driver here.
Old 05-19-2023, 12:59 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 102 Posts

I think there are 2 big reasons. The first is if you are in an accident, it is good to have a record of what actually happened instead of relying on the memory of the parties involved and it turning into a he-said-she-said problem. Second, if you witness an accident you can provide some evidence. There is also some times you just see cool stuff while you're driving and want to save a quick picture or video.
justabout (06-04-2023)
Old 05-28-2023, 11:51 AM
radctt1
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

Anyone with experience with FitcamX Dashcam for their 9Y0 or other vehicles? I discovered FitcamX over in 992 forum and seems to have some decent reviews. Install looks straight forward as says "plug n play".

TIA

Last edited by radctt1; 05-28-2023 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-29-2023, 12:14 PM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Received 530 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by radctt1
Anyone with experience with FitcamX Dashcam for their 9Y0 or other vehicles? I discovered FitcamX over in 992 forum and seems to have some decent reviews. Install looks straight forward as says "plug n play".

TIA
Thank you for posting this link! After seeing your post I stayed up late last night watching at least 20 YouTube videos about FITCAMX dashcams - installation videos with some including demonstrations of use and reviews. This morning I ordered the 4K front dashcam variant for my 2022 Cayenne at a total cost of $178.20 using discount code TECHJEFF which I got from YouTuber Technical Jeff's video review. Here's the order summary.

Order summary

I plan to buy a SanDisc High Endurance 64 or 128 GB micro SD card to use instead of the 64 GB no-name card that comes with the FITCAMX based on Tech Jeff's advice.

I've been looking for a dashcam for the Cayenne since I bought it last summer. I had planned to have the Porsche dealer install the Porsche brand front dashcam and maybe a back one too but I was told last week that the two installations they tried failed due to the Porsche dashcam kits arriving without some of the components. I had originally wanted both front and rear dashcams that monitor while parked but my main goal is to have video evidence if I'm ever hit by one of the countless red light runners I encounter and to show that I'm stable in my lane should another vehicle do a lane change into me. I had a close call a couple of weeks ago when I was sandwiched between a semi in the lane to my right and another vehicle in the lane to my left at 65 mph. I was definitely not in the semi's blind spot. Sounding the Cayenne's wimpy horn had no effect when the semi started to merge into my lane. I was lucky no one was close behind me when I slammed on the brakes to avoid impact.

I guess I'll see how plug-and-play this camera really is. I sure like the way it's hidden, looks OEM and won't interview with my windshield sun shade. Here's a screen shot from the installation instruction video.

Last edited by Woofman; 05-29-2023 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-29-2023, 01:26 PM
radctt1
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

I’m about to pull the trigger too! Thanks to woofman for discount link to FitcamX.

Here’s a you tube link to install instructions I found. Another link to tech Jeff.

Fitcam X you tube

Last edited by radctt1; 05-29-2023 at 01:39 PM.
Woofman (05-29-2023)
Old 06-03-2023, 07:06 PM
fsdks
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by radctt1

TIA
Yes. Just installed it on the Cayenne. It was a bit fiddly to get the plastic clasps to latch but got it all secured. Works fine with the included no-name 64GB microSD card. Have a 2019 so the issue people have with wireless carplay and the wifi connection to the FitcamX isn't an issue for me. It is a very seamless addition to the interior and looks a lot better than other cameras. There are trade-offs as I would like speed on the videos but that's really neither here nor there for me.

Last edited by fsdks; 06-03-2023 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-03-2023, 09:50 PM
Ron.s
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 128 Posts

Is there any change on the 23 Cayenne? I watched both the above video and the one at FitcamX and mine looks different. Has anyone installed on a 23? I was about to do the mirror tap install but I like this one better than having a “stick on the windshield” type.
Old 06-03-2023, 10:49 PM
matthewr87
Racer

Received 257 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron.s
Is there any change on the 23 Cayenne? I watched both the above video and the one at FitcamX and mine looks different. Has anyone installed on a 23? I was about to do the mirror tap install but I like this one better than having a “stick on the windshield” type.
The car in both videos is not a 9Y0 so that's why it looks different. If I understand correctly the wiring approach is the same for the 9Y0, 992, Taycan and some other models but the housing and layout differs.
Old 06-03-2023, 11:43 PM
lacibaci
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Check your GPS and navigation functionality after installing this cam. These cameras use noisy chipsets (especially Novatek) that will interfere with the GPS, RDS and most likely other radios.
Old 06-04-2023, 05:23 AM
Greyphantom
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

If anyone managed to remove the rear hatch wiring grommets (the rubber sleeve that connects the body and the rear hatch door) please post some closeup photos
Old 06-04-2023, 10:09 AM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lacibaci
Check your GPS and navigation functionality after installing this cam. These cameras use noisy chipsets (especially Novatek) that will interfere with the GPS, RDS and most likely other radios.
I've read/watched a massive number of reviews about chipsets and dashcams that use current Novatek chipsets and haven't seen any complaints about interference. Do you have information you can point us to?

A humorous aspect of the FITCAMX dashcams for the Cayenne is that the same products are sold under a variety of brand names on AliExpress at far lower prices. For example, I'm paying $178.20 for the supposedly 4K plug and play front camera with a 64 GB microSD card. The same camera and card can be had on AliExpress for about $71.50 including shipping to the U.S.

My take is that what you get with the FITCAMX products are pretty packaging, installation videos and what seems to be responsive customer service. The front FITCAMX that I'm getting seems to be fairly low on features and middling in performance but it might fit my needs if it's reliable. Mine has been shipped but I don't know when I'll get it.
Old 06-04-2023, 10:16 AM
Ron.s
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Woofman
I've read/watched a massive number of reviews about chipsets and dashcams that use current Novatek chipsets and haven't seen any complaints about interference. Do you have information you can point us to?

A humorous aspect of the FITCAMX dashcams for the Cayenne is that the same products are sold under a variety of brand names on AliExpress at far lower prices. For example, I'm paying $178.20 for the supposedly 4K plug and play front camera with a 64 GB microSD card. The same camera and card can be had on AliExpress for about $71.50 including shipping to the U.S.

My take is that what you get with the FITCAMX products are pretty packaging, installation videos and what seems to be responsive customer service. The front FITCAMX that I'm getting seems to be fairly low on features and middling in performance but it might fit my needs if it's reliable. Mine has been shipped but I don't know when I'll get it.
Amazon has a few one star reviews that mention interference and missing data during an accident.

Amazon Amazon

That link didn’t seem to work so might have to use this one and then select reviews…
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Ron.s; 06-04-2023 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-04-2023, 12:01 PM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ron.s
Amazon has a few one star reviews that mention interference and missing data during an accident.
I found only one Amazon review that mentioned inference - it was in a 2011 Cayenne. Were there others? I don't know if it will address potential data loss problems but I'm going to follow the recommendation of one of the YouTube reviewers and replace the no-name micro SD card that comes with the FITCAMX with an industrial grade micro SD card that might better handle high heat and high write cycle volume.

An Amazon review from "E.P." has very valuable photos and instructions on installing the front FITCAMX into the 2019-2023 Cayenne. One of his photos shows a clip holding the center trim piece in place that I haven't seen mentioned in other installation instructions.

I wish Porsche would offer an integrated dashcam with as many features as their current dashcam turd that sticks to the windshield. But I'd rather have Porsche fix my damned cruise control.

Quick Reply: Dashcam on Cayenne