Sponsored By:

2019 Cayenne Battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 11:07 PM
BCA01
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 49 Posts

^Cool.

I’ve been plugging mine in once a week or so. So far so good.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:44 PM
beefchopper
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts

I sure hope the type of lithium battery used by Porsche in the Cayennes is not the same as that used by Tesla. https://jalopnik.com/surveillance-vi...rki-1834211204
Old 06-17-2020, 02:15 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
If the Car is staying charged and lasting a good few weeks then that seems normal, and at 60Ah you should be getting a very good static sitting time. But I must qualify that with my experience is with the Sports Car Models NOT the Porsche SUV lines. We know the more modern 991s really have quite a low Parasitic Draw on the battery after going into their systems shut-down, so I would assume the same with the SUVs, but each year Vehicles are getting newer features and more complicated electronic/computer controlled systems so I'm also just learning about the Cayenne from these posts. Just trying to relay what I know of the Lithium Batteries BMS. But I am not familiar with the SUV lines, so I don't want to mislead that I know about the Gateway System on the Car. But very 60Ah is a solid Ah capacity for a Lithium Battery, and I would think that battery will be a good one since Porsche is putting it in as a production Battery. The other Lithiums for the GT lines were not so good, but they were a different animal.

As far as the best MICRO-START... the best seller is the XP-10... but that can also do Diesel Trucks up to 7.0 Liters, and charge Tablets and Cell Phones multiple times. It fits in your hand, but the others which would do mostly the same thing but not start the Diesels are fine also. I would say the XP-1 and XP-3 are a good fit because they are compact yet will EASILY start the Cayenne about 25 times on one charge... plus still charge your cell phones about 4 times in a row too. XP-3 is very compact also.
Sorry to bring back an old thread but I think it’s important. The new Cayenne uses the LiFePO4 battery and that is pretty known now. But what I did not realize is that if the battery gets very low, the Cayenne will disconnect it in order to keep some charge. This makes using almost any charger useless. Ask me how I know! These new chargers cannot “reconnect” the battery, they can only charge a low battery back to full. Not a disconnected one!

After trying 4 chargers, I tried the jumpstart method which is actually in our Porsche owners manual (Page 111). I connected my Antigravity XP-1 and after less than 5 seconds, my Cayenne reconnected, and I was able to start my Cayenne! Now I can use a LiFePO4 charger to bring it back to fully charged. This is a huge point. I will now carry this with me at all times!
The following 2 users liked this post by OCNYPORSCHE:
Antigravity (06-17-2020), chipsterguy (06-17-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 04:54 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 977 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by OCNYPORSCHE
Sorry to bring back an old thread but I think it’s important. The new Cayenne uses the LiFePO4 battery and that is pretty known now. But what I did not realize is that if the battery gets very low, the Cayenne will disconnect it in order to keep some charge. This makes using almost any charger useless. Ask me how I know! These new chargers cannot “reconnect” the battery, they can only charge a low battery back to full. Not a disconnected one!

After trying 4 chargers, I tried the jumpstart method which is actually in our Porsche owners manual). I connected my Antigravity XP-1 and after less than 5 seconds, my Cayenne reconnected, and I was able to start my Cayenne! Now I can use a LiFePO4 charger to bring it back to fully charged. This is a huge point. I will now carry this with me at all times!
Glad to see the XP-1 came in handy and thanks for updating and providing more info on how those new lithium models operate.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:41 AM
Norge911
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 368 Posts

Also try this, copied from other thread.

Problem solved. I reset the Gateway Control Unit by accessing the fuse panel under the foot rest on the drivers side. The rows are not labeled, so they are A top left, B top right, C Bottom left, D bottom middle, and E bottom right. You need to remove fuse number 2 from the top on row D and fuse number 7 down from the top on row E. I waited around 30 seconds before reinstalling the fuses. You can hear the unit reset under the drivers seat.
The following users liked this post:
david-nyc (10-13-2022)
Old 09-15-2020, 03:55 PM
H2Ocooledesteem
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Has anyone measured the dimensions of the cayenne battery and weighed it?
Old 09-16-2020, 08:17 PM
Miggytosh
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 68 Posts

Does anyone know if you should put a trickle charger on an e-hybrid? Seems like the charging system for the hybrid battery could also charge the 12V battery but can’t find any definitive answer one way or the other.
Old 10-02-2020, 12:31 AM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 261 Posts

I’ve read but can’t recall the source that the starter and hybrid batteries are separate systems and are not interconnected.
Old 10-03-2020, 01:40 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,616 Likes on 1,768 Posts

_IF_ the Cayenne eHybrid’s “big” battery were to be able to charge the “little” battery - there at a minimum would need to be a DC/DC converter to step down the higher voltage big battery to the vehicle’s 12 volt normal capacity - this seems un-necessary to me given that the Cayenne eHybrid has an alternator - and this add complexity in: design, manufacturing, maintenance, and software. also the “big” battery maintaining the little battery is not a panacea - as the Taycan right now is experiencing “dead 12V” battery issues where the 12V drops offline during charging (a time when there is plenty of power to go around) - so it also is no guarantee the 12V battery will be well maintained…

my speculation is the two systems isolated for simplicity and safety.
Old 10-06-2020, 03:23 AM
Miggytosh
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 68 Posts

I need to test more but when I hooked a volt meter to the 12v battery and started the hybrid battery charge it did have a quick voltage increase (13.3v to 14.1v) , drop and then slowly increased about .1v/min so it would see to have done something.
Old 10-20-2020, 06:23 PM
urbanski
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BCA01
As mentioned above, I have the CTEK Lithium US charger (Porsche ones are made by CTEK).

Although the manual only discusses charging via the under hood charging terminals, I plug mine into the 12v socket in the center console and it works great. I’ve left it hooked up for days at a time. The only weird thing that I noticed is that one time I opened the passenger door to mount a toll tag, which took several minutes, and the charger disconnected. Other than that one time, it has always stayed connected no matter what doors I open, how long I leave them open, how many times I open and close, etc.

My suggestion would be to just use the center console port (just shut the door over the cable) and I suspect it will work fine.
hey does the ctek come with the 12V socket out of the box? pics i've seen don't show it thanks.
Old 10-20-2020, 06:46 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 261 Posts

I bought the CTEK Lithium US charger and it did not come with the 12V socket.
Amazon Amazon

So I bought the socket for $9.99.
Amazon Amazon
Old 11-21-2020, 01:39 PM
LoopGaroo
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

So this may be a stupid question, but can this LiFePO4 battery be jumped with a regular jumper box (Clore Automotive JNC 660 or similar) or simply from another car with a conventional lead acid battery?
Old 11-22-2020, 12:00 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Read my post #78 above
Old 02-12-2021, 11:48 PM
GONEIN10
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by BCA01
I am now dealing with a bigger problem. The car went into UVP (under voltage protection) mode as I was in the process of getting the CTEK Lithium charger hooked up. So the car is dead in the water....no power whatsoever. As a mechanism to protect the battery, the car disconnects itself from the battery when voltage reaches a certain level and doesn't reconnect until it sees sufficient voltage for some time. The manual says anywhere from immediately upon attaching a jump vehicle to 10 minutes from hooking up a charger/power supply. My CTEK supposedly has a way of overcoming this UVP but I tried it several times to no avail. Luckily, I have a good client advisor who lives not too far from me and he is coming by my house with a jump box after work this evening, which should get me back up and running. I went over the whole series of events with the shop foreman on the phone a few minutes ago and he said that'll do it. But he also said that what they were taught is that the battery won't reconnect until it sees sufficient voltage for 30 minutes. So I guess we will see....he said to give it at least 10 minutes connected to jump box before attempting to start engine even though it should start right away. The goal apparently is to get the battery to reconnect itself before starting engine.

He made the comment "I'm not sure why they had to make something so simple so complicated" and I agree. So my advice to any of you who might see a low battery warning on the PCM is to start your vehicle and drive it immediately! I'll post an update on how this turns out...
if your battery goes into UVP (under voltage protection) and seemingly has no power, this is how to resolve.

step 1
Disconnect both positive and negative Leeds to the battery
step 2
connect the leads from CTEK LITHIUM CHARGER to the battery
step 3 with the CTEK powered up, push and HOLD the power button for about 10 seconds or until you hear an audible CLICK from the battery. The CTEK has now enabled the battery and will start charging

Quick Reply: 2019 Cayenne Battery