Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2019 Cayenne Battery

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2023 | 04:14 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by thinkiwanta928
My Dallas, TX area dealer, Park Place Porsche, service rep returned my call today. He said, "There is a software fix for the "Battery Low - Service Necessary" warning light." (Light came on last Saturday, voltage is 13.3 stationary and 13.5-6 when driving.)
He did call it a "recall" and no charge to update the software.
Further explaining the circuit board controller on the top of the battery is communicating with the vehicle and the error causes it to send the warning signal when the battery is actually doing well. He said they'd need the vehicle for about two hours to update the software.

Now, I did purchase a LiFePO4 battery charger and connect if under the hood. It tells me the battery is fully charged. This vehicle, in 4.5 years, has logged just under 10,000 miles. I will put the battery maintainer on the system frequently to help with the help of the battery PER the owner's manual.
Did you have the battery software update perform? Before this "Battery Low" message came on? Seems like some people got this message even after the original battery software update to stop overcharging and damaging the battery.
Old 08-24-2023 | 12:56 AM
m0mo
Track Day

Originally Posted by beefchopper
Obviously Porsche knows exactly what parts and programming needed to be changed because they made the change and use the AGM batteries in the newer Cayennes. Whether they'd be willing to tell your dealer how to make the change or offer to sell the retrofit instead of keeping current owners with the prospect of needing to spend what works out to average about $1000 per year on battery replacements remains to be seen. I'm not holding my breath waiting for them to do either.
Apparently there are 2 parts and a few hours of programming

Parts are (trying to get the part numbers):
92 ah battery (~$570)
Negative cable (~$250)
Old 08-24-2023 | 08:46 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by m0mo
Apparently there are 2 parts and a few hours of programming

Parts are (trying to get the part numbers):
92 ah battery (~$570)
Negative cable (~$250)
Part numbers?
The following users liked this post:
PorscheACC (08-24-2023)
Old 08-24-2023 | 07:23 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Default How to Easily Register/Code a 2019 Porsche Cayenne "S" LiFePO4 Lithium battery

Although I don't recommend AUTEL devices because they use deceptive advertisement, where they don't mention that your $1,200 dollar device will not be able to use anymore any ECU, Coding, etc. features that use online server access if you don't yearly renew your Software Update license, which at $500+ dollars (half the price of the device) it becomes ridiculous and more since you are stuck with the device after a year when you find out.

AUTEL told me personally by phone that only the software updates will be disabled if I didn't renew the software updates, but AUTEL deceptively omitted in my talk and on all advertisings that they do that all ECU, Coding, etc. functions will be disabled too, thus making your investment worthless. As you can see in Amazon, or any other place AUTEL advertises/sells, they omit the fact that they will stop all features that require online access, in addition to the software updates.

Having said that and for the sake of my Porsche colleagues that are being abused by Porsche and its Lithium LiFEPO4 battery known controller/software defects (in the battery controller/sensor) that causes the battery to be irreversibly/permanently be coded internally as unusable and will need to be replaced or have the battery sensor/controller changed and programmed, and by dealers charging up to $5,000 for changing a battery, and Porsche having no stock of LiFEPO4 parts for whatever reason with customers having to wait months for one, which is why I have put a series of images/steps on how the Autel mk906bt, or any other brand with battery registration capabilities can register your new Lithium LiFEPO4 battery.

(In reality, getting stranded on a Texas road with a dead battery because of a known Porsche battery defect on a 110 Fahrenheit and/or in a freezing situation is practically an unnecessary death sentence in many situations. Porsche needs to come clean and warn customers that their defective batteries are unreliable and can fail within 2 to 4 years (instead of the 10 years advertised) because their battery controller/sensor internal program/controller defect will cause it to overcharge and damage the LiFEPO4 Lithium battery. Unacceptable behavior from Porsche, which already had some other fire issues with some of their Lithium batteries models in other vehicles.

Will put a YouTube video sometime later, too..

Here are the easy steps on how to register the Lithium LiFePO4 batteries on a Porsche, which is the same way you register AGM or other batteries in many vehicles that have a battery management system since around 2009.

You can buy a new Lithium LiFEPO4 battery yourself, in the US, Canada, Mexico, etc. and have yourself or any shop with an updated tool to register the Lithium battery.

The battery on the 9Ya (2019 Cayenne S) are located in the passenger seat on the 2019 Cayenne S, and is easily accessible to work in there.

Steps:

I have an Autel MK906BT scanner device model, which I used to take the screenshots below.

1. Select Porsche option
2. Automatically read your VIN
3. Check that you have the correct year and model
4. Select "Hot Functions"
5. Select "BMS" (Battery Management System)
6. Press "Continue" so that the battery can be coded in the gateway control unit.
7. Enter the requested battery information.
...a. Lithium LiFEPO4 Battery Capacity
...b. Battery Technology: "Lithium fep" LiFEPO4
...c. Battery manufacturer
...d. Battery Serial Number
8. Confirm and finalize.

If you use a 3rd party battery and the names/information have a different length, then use "spaces" in between the information to match the Porsche string length information.

Hope this helps somebody..

Last edited by PorscheACC; 08-24-2023 at 07:39 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by PorscheACC:
agentz06 (09-02-2023), chassis (08-24-2023), FlyPenFly (08-25-2023), Larson E. Rapp (09-11-2023), TonyM305 (08-24-2023), vivalaReagan (02-14-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-24-2023 | 08:06 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

@PorscheACC Thanks for the DIY. Are you saying that a disabled LiFePO4 battery can be re-initialized and used again? Or is the procedure you listed valid only for new batteries?
Old 08-24-2023 | 08:20 PM
m0mo
Track Day

Originally Posted by chassis
Part numbers?
Here you go:

Battery: 958-611-092-21
Negative Terminal: PAB-915-181-A
Old 08-24-2023 | 08:27 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

@PorscheACC Thanks for the DIY. Are you saying that a disabled LiFePO4 battery can be re-initialized and used again? Or is the procedure you listed valid only for new batteries?
The registration is just for new batteries.

For old batteries, there are two cases depending what error code was set by the LiFePO4 battery controller/sensor.

There is one battery controller code that marks the battery as irreversibly disabled, which is a code used when the battery controller detects any major anomaly/heating in the battery internals. That is, no matter if you access the internals of the controller, the controller cannot be reset and it requires a new controller/sensor and programming it.

I think that irreversible terminal code is set by mistake by the battery controller when it detects it is being overcharged due to a defect in the BMS charge programming. But it shouldn't be setting that terminal code if it was just overcharged since the battery is still healthy and it was just a matter of the BMS incorrectly overcharging the battery as it aged because of a defect/bug programming.

If the battery controller terminal error code is not set, then the battery controller can be accessed and the error code can be reset so that the battery can be charged again and the battery will have voltage again at the terminals.

There are many places where they can replace the buggy disabled controller/sensor and program a new one as seen in the web link below. These places know that the batteries are not the real problem. They require a battery exchange though.

https://xemodex.com/us/product/lithi...rsche-cayenne/

Last edited by PorscheACC; 08-24-2023 at 08:28 PM.
chassis (08-24-2023)
Old 08-24-2023 | 09:17 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PorscheACC
The registration is just for new batteries.

For old batteries, there are two cases depending what error code was set by the LiFePO4 battery controller/sensor.

There is one battery controller code that marks the battery as irreversibly disabled, which is a code used when the battery controller detects any major anomaly/heating in the battery internals. That is, no matter if you access the internals of the controller, the controller cannot be reset and it requires a new controller/sensor and programming it.

I think that irreversible terminal code is set by mistake by the battery controller when it detects it is being overcharged due to a defect in the BMS charge programming. But it shouldn't be setting that terminal code if it was just overcharged since the battery is still healthy and it was just a matter of the BMS incorrectly overcharging the battery as it aged because of a defect/bug programming.

If the battery controller terminal error code is not set, then the battery controller can be accessed and the error code can be reset so that the battery can be charged again and the battery will have voltage again at the terminals.

There are many places where they can replace the buggy disabled controller/sensor and program a new one as seen in the web link below. These places know that the batteries are not the real problem. They require a battery exchange though.

https://xemodex.com/us/product/lithi...rsche-cayenne/
Though, I have been wondering if I can just reset my LiFePO4 Lithium battery so that it will not get damaged by the overcharging Porsche battery defect that has caused so many battrries to fail.

I know Porsche has a so called programming fix, but many people has gotten a battery low message soon after they had that battery update done and the Porsche dealers were stating that they needed new batteries.?

So, did Porsche really has a fix? or the fix is buggy?
Old 08-24-2023 | 09:26 PM
matthewr87
Racer

So AGM battery, negative terminal cable, and then autel device to register AGM instead of LiPOS?
Old 08-24-2023 | 11:28 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by matthewr87
So AGM battery, negative terminal cable, and then autel device to register AGM instead of LiPOS?
I think it may need some other programming/changes because I don't see an AGM battery type option on the Autel program's list of battery options.

Maybe, there is an additional setting needed to be modified if you change the negative battery LiFePO4 cable connector/data-sensor for the AGM negative terminal cable connector/data-sensor so that the AUTEL device list the AGM and other types of batteries.

Though, my AUTEL device hasn't been updated in around 2-3 years since I don't want to pay yearly around $500+ for the AUTEL software update..Don't know if something has changed in newer updates.

Last edited by PorscheACC; 08-25-2023 at 12:24 AM.
Old 08-25-2023 | 05:42 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Part numbers?
Post #137 of the Lithium Ion battery thread in the 992 forum lists the negative Ground Cable Part that works with the AGM battery as # 992-915-181. Part numbers are also listed in post #150. Those posts are from Mar timeframe and some later AntiGravity posts say that they are aware of two cars that swapped Li ion for AGM. See https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1299...battery-4.html.

This thread is from a guy who bought a 992 CPO car that had the battery swapped from Li ion to AGM. See https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1299...battery-4.html
The following 2 users liked this post by dasams:
chassis (08-25-2023), Schnave (08-25-2023)
Old 08-25-2023 | 08:23 PM
m0mo
Track Day

Originally Posted by dasams
Post #137 of the Lithium Ion battery thread in the 992 forum lists the negative Ground Cable Part that works with the AGM battery as # 992-915-181. Part numbers are also listed in post #150. Those posts are from Mar timeframe and some later AntiGravity posts say that they are aware of two cars that swapped Li ion for AGM. See https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1299...battery-4.html.

This thread is from a guy who bought a 992 CPO car that had the battery swapped from Li ion to AGM. See https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1299...battery-4.html
Interesting my dealer told me the cable part number was: PAB-915-181-A
chassis (08-25-2023)
Old 08-25-2023 | 09:56 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by m0mo
Interesting my dealer told me the cable part number was: PAB-915-181-A
Which type of battery does your car have?
Old 08-25-2023 | 09:57 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dasams

So the modification required is simply a ground cable?

What is the AGM battery part number or group size and CCA specifications?
Old 08-25-2023 | 10:06 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

A favor to ask of the 9Y0 owners who own a vehicle with an AGM battery:

Create a userid on partslink24.com, and pay for a 24 hour subscription for $12.00

Using your VIN, look up your battery negative cable and AGM battery part numbers and post them here.

Alternatively, if you post your VIN on this thread, or to me via direct message, I will look up the part numbers and post them here.

Quick Reply: 2019 Cayenne Battery