Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 10:04 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Last week, I took my '14 CD on her first long distance trip since the fix. It was a total of 1000 miles from the SF Bay area to central Oregon. There were long stretches that all I needed to do was to monitor the ACC (aka I-5) as well as stretches of curvy mountain road and high elevations. Temperatures ranged from 28F to 80F. My opinion? Compared to pre-fix, I felt that the way torque is delivered is not as linear as before. It is as if the initial acceleration while passing traffic was being delayed by a rubber band. Then the rubber band lets go and you are going faster than you expected. Pre-fix, I remember that if I hit the accelerator, torque will come on more linear and faster.

On another matter, I found that I am getting better highway MPG. On those stretches of I-5 I would get 32 mpg at most. This time I have seen up to 34 mpg for long stretches. However, I think my city MPG has deteriorated. It is now around 20-22. Used to be up to 24.

The fix, in my opinion, is still ok. I did not experience the Dr. Jerkyll Mr. Hide syndrome that some of you guys are experiencing.

Oh, as to the 14 vs 15 CDs, isn't the 14 ones 2.1 while the 15 2.2? The reason I am pointing that out is that 14 CD have some emissions hardware changed. As a poster pointed awhile ago, our cars are at various stages of age. Just changing the software may not work as well as changing and putting new hardware. Just a thought.

Last edited by visitador; 09-24-2018 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:49 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 722 Likes on 392 Posts

Interesting noted this weekend Porsche announced they're abandoning all diesel vehicles worldwide! Yep No more Ad Blue Cayennes or Panameras or Macans. Wonder how this will affect the recall and fix campaign?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-v...-idUSKCN1M20YN

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/09/23/...-drops-diesel/

http://www.autospies.com/news/Porsch...engines-97310/

https://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/20823/...iesel-for-good
Old 09-25-2018, 01:11 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Since it's court ordered and agreed to, I don't think it will affect it in any way.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:09 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Interesting noted this weekend Porsche announced they're abandoning all diesel vehicles worldwide! Yep No more Ad Blue Cayennes or Panameras or Macans. Wonder how this will affect the recall and fix campaign?

Originally Posted by skiahh
Since it's court ordered and agreed to, I don't think it will affect it in any way.
It won't affect it at all. Even if it wasn't court ordered.

Old 09-26-2018, 01:46 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 722 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
It won't affect it at all. Even if it wasn't court ordered.
No not that it will affect the court ordered repairs and retrofits...I mispoke but curious how it will affect the current owners plans and satisfaction with their cars. To know that they will no longer make them and that they will have the last of a breed which likely will see support dwindle as time goes on...what will current owners do? I mean its not like the diesel Porsches will likely hold the pedestal that the RS, GTS, and GT models do...what will you guys do/think about them now that they have been "officially" killed by PAG?
Old 09-26-2018, 02:36 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Most likely there is a market for the CD because of the fix warranty. Let's face it. How many of us keep a car for 10 or more years?

Surviving CDs will become a historical oddity. Even today I have people being surprised that it is a Porsche diesel. There will be a fan base that will try keeping them on the road. There will be engine and transmission mods since all warranties have expired. I suspect if we are still owners in 2025 that we will be as fanatical about our CDs as Saab owners ?????
Old 09-26-2018, 02:42 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
Most likely there is a market for the CD because of the fix warranty. Let's face it. How many of us keep a car for 10 or more years?

Surviving CDs will become a historical oddity. Even today I have people being surprised that it is a Porsche diesel. There will be a fan base that will try keeping them on the road. I suspect if we are still owners in 2025 that we will be as fanatical about our CDs as Saab owners ?????
I have my 2003 Ram (Cummins diesel) I bought new in September '03...
Old 09-26-2018, 07:40 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

No not that it will affect the court ordered repairs and retrofits...I mispoke but curious how it will affect the current owners plans and satisfaction with their cars. To know that they will no longer make them and that they will have the last of a breed which likely will see support dwindle as time goes on...what will current owners do? I mean its not like the diesel Porsches will likely hold the pedestal that the RS, GTS, and GT models do...what will you guys do/think about them now that they have been "officially" killed by PAG?
It doesn't change my opinion of the vehicle at all. Of course I bought mine after diesel gate in part because of the warranty but, mostly due to the vehicle overall and the towing capacity. I always had a feeling Porsche would likely kill the diesels due in equal parts to the scandal, the relatively small market share they represent for Porsche (at least here in the US) and because they are all in on the electrification of vehicles and smoky old coal hugging diesel doesn't fit with that slick green image.

At this point the only thing that is affecting my satisfaction is the crappy calibration of the emissions fix software and the sinking feeling I get that they will not do anything to improve the responsiveness of that map but, I had that feeling before this announcement.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:10 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 326 Posts

Doesn't change what I think. It was obvious that Porsche wasn't going to sell anymore diesels when they put the stop sale in place. IE, once they sold out of the 15-16 CD's, that was it, no more were coming. They can sugarcoat it however they want but they got egg on their face because of VW's actions and don't care to repeat it.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:24 AM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I intend to keep and run my CD 2016 to the ground, unless this lag/slack time becomes unbearable. I hope there is a solution to this "hesitation" problem.

Awaiting improvements if there are any.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
​​​​​​​

Old 09-26-2018, 10:39 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

It will be no different than every other engine in any kind of machine, for which production has ended for whatever reason. It is not like the end of the 3.0L diesel is the first time in the history of the world where the production for an engine has ended. There is no reason to have separation anxiety over the 3.0L TDI or feelings of abandonment.

There are parts-for now. There will be used parts due to all the vehicles crashed/totaled/flooded. It will be no different than getting parts for vintage/antique vehicles that survive because people want them to survive. Like someone said, how long are you going to live and keep the vehicle anyway? 20 years? I think my 2016 CD can go 20 years easily, if I wanted it to.

There are guys on ClubTouareg that sold back their 2011 TDI with 250,000 miles and had no major engine issues. The transmission was acting odd but otherwise, there have been no real known issues to worry about with the 3.0TDI motor-aside from the running issues some have had with the hesitation. AdBlue/DEF, HPFP warranties along with the extended factory warranties have us covered pretty well for a while.

In the end, it is just an engine. It is not a one-off Apollo F-1 space engine.

Last edited by BenCD; 09-26-2018 at 08:46 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:02 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

and just because Porsche isn't going to be selling the diesel doesn't mean the VW group won't be. There will still be parts support
Old 09-26-2018, 12:13 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I figured the TDi was dead across all brands. Hence why I scooped up a new one (ok service loaner but still) as I won't have the chance again.

The 3.0 TDI has proven to be a pretty solid motor. Time will tell if that reputation stands with the "fixes" in place. I love it enough (even with the annoying fix lag) that I'll keep mine until at least the warranty runs out. Should put me at 200-250k total miles by the time that happens. Only reason I'd volunteer to get rid of it sooner would be if I have a sudden massive influx of cash and income, such that trading up to a Cayenne Turbo S (with all the fixins + the terrible fuel economy) wouldn't make me flinch.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:44 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I am quite happy with my neutered ride. Will keep it for some time as it meets all my original needs. 0-60 time is still better than my first 911. BUT, getting real tired of the electric vehicle hype/propaganda being peddled by VW group on the radio.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:09 PM
Meinbeast
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
Default BS from service dept?

I was at the dealer today to schedule a service appt as a couple codes were thrown relating to my fuel pump. They asked if I had done my diesel fix yet and I replied "no, I'm waiting to get it done later or not at all based on what I'm hearing."

Both service reps immediately went into saying how I won't be able to renew my registration in NJ and that I have to get my fix done by year end in order to get my payment. Both statements are false and I wasn't going to sit there and argue with them as I had my son with me. So, are dealerships under pressure to get all these diesel cars fixed?

it sure seemed like they are after my encounter today.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue